PO442 - Evap Emission Control

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ONTHEPIPE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if this is common for KJ's? It comes up as small leak. I checked gas cap to be sure it was on right, not to say its F#€KED. Lol just hoping someone can narrow down my search

Thx

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's no big deal until you need to get your Jeep inspected. Check the hoses that go into your evap canister, I'd bet one of the cheap plastic hose clamps has gotten brittle and broken. I replaced mine with metal ones. Also check for rotted/torn hoses and replace as necessary with the same-size vacuum hose. Should clear it right up.

mikeandamy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's no big deal until you need to get your Jeep inspected. Check the hoses that go into your evap canister, I'd bet one of the cheap plastic hose clamps has gotten brittle and broken. I replaced mine with metal ones. Also check for rotted/torn hoses and replace as necessary with the same-size vacuum hose. Should clear it right up.

where does one get metal hoses and what size hoses? kopkrab.gif

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's no big deal until you need to get your Jeep inspected..
It's a big deal if you leave that MIL on,then you will not know when/if a new problem has come up until it's to late.

The biggest offender to the P0442 code I have found is either cracked hoses on the vapor canistor,the real oddball little one that has a 1/2" end and 3/8" end.The other big one is a failed natural vacuum leak detection pump.

TypeRx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a big deal if you leave that MIL on,then you will not know when/if a new problem has come up until it's to late.

The biggest offender to the P0442 code I have found is either cracked hoses on the vapor canistor,the real oddball little one that has a 1/2" end and 3/8" end.The other big one is a failed natural vacuum leak detection pump.

My MIL was on for 6+ months with this exact problem. I replaced the gas cap and that didn't fix it and the related hoses under the hood appeared fine. So, I was pretty sure it was a leak near the charcoal canister (right by the driver's rear suspension).

My emissions deadline was coming up so finally 2 weekends ago I got under the car and checked things. I ended up finding a small crack in the hose that connects the charcoal canister with the fuel line. The hose is proprietary so I patched it up with some shoe goo and off I went. That fixed it, at least for now!

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………