2006 Liberty Sport 3.7 EVAP system nightmare. Seeking info, suggestions, help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

runfor5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wanted to follow up on this since I had posted about my similar scenario and the solution -- I have put over 1,000 on my Jeep since replacing the charcoal canister with no CEL or gas cap warning chime until yesterday.

Yesterday, out of nowhere, gas cap warning chime started going off and it has been displaying the warning ever since. This morning, after driving approximately 20 miles yesterday with the gas cap warning displayed, my CEL illuminated once again. Obviously is going to be evap related. I'll pull codes real quick...

P0457 loose gas cap, I'm honestly surprised that's the only code...usually it's accompanied with a very small evap leak code.

Gas cap was replaced with both aftermarket and eventually a new OEM when this whole debacle began last year.

Anyway, since I was pulling the codes, I went ahead and loosened then tightened my gas cap back up. Cleared the codes and as soon as I started it back up, gas cap warning chime. So no idea why replacing the canister and literally nothing else made a difference for over 1,000 miles, but it apparently was not the fix. That had me stumped anyway since usually if the problem is the canister it's due to no flow and I was able to blow through the canister with zero resistance. It's also odd that it is detecting such a massive leak, yet multiple smoke tests have shown no leaks in the system and both my little smoker and my buddy's smoker were able to build up pressure in the system while testing.
Wow, that is hella frustrating. So wait, the code is still there now you're saying? I have to wonder if given the age of these cars at this point (at / approaching 20 years) it's not something in the electrical wiring associated with one of the plugs or sensors in the EVAP system. I mean, that's a nightmare to chase down if so, but that's all I'd be left thinking in your situation based on how many parts you have thrown at it and the smoke test results you're noting.