Please help with headliner....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JpGrl

Reaction score
I recently traded in my compass for an 2008 Liberty. I love it but the dealer masked the only problem pretty good at the time. Now that it is warm I can smell cigerette smoke really bad. I had it cleaned and now the headliner has nicotine marks everywhere and it still smells. So I know I have to replace the headliner. Does anyone know of a website where I can find a replacement. I have seen a couple of do it yourself kits but I don't trust myself since I am a first timer. Unless you tell me anyone can do it :) I have also thought about painting it to mask the smell but from what I have read it won't look very nice. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!

Also is there anything else I should replace to get this awful smell out of my car? I thought I read something about replacing an air filter of some kind.

Thank you...
New to forums - Carmen

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'd take it back to the dealer for a replacement, JMO...

Welcome to JKJ!

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd have a hard time thinking the dealer would change out the headliner because of smoke smell since they run about $1200 for the headliner itself.

Either live with it or have a professional detail done.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can always strip the fabric off and recover it. I've done about 3-4 this way. Most fabric stores sell headliner material, and if not, just get material of your liking.

The light grey in my Liberty is pretty dusty and dirty. I'm considering, at some point, redoing it to something that hides dust/dirt/scuffs better. It's not bad enough yet for me to actually do it.

george0029

Reaction score
If you simply want to get rid of the smell, go to a detail shop that has an ozone generator.
They will pump ozone into the jeep for about an hour and eliminate any odor!