Performance mods for Jeep Liberty 02 help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Had the EBC drilled and slotted with green stuff pads for about 6 months. Seemed a bit better at first but the rotors warped even with the recommended breakin. Didn't feel like having them machined so I replaced with some Napa premiums. Couldn't tell the difference between the Napa and EBC. The Greenstuff pads were pretty good though. :party52:

I have centric rotors and EBC green stuff pads on the front of mine, good combo. The rear I have Carquest platinum or something, it was available the day I needed them:happy175:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I've had my rotors for almost 2 and a half years. Not warped yet and I drive like I'm in nascar. Better performance for me it seems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah to be 19 again

:happy175::happy175:
never wouldn't want to be that ever again :emotions34:

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah to be 19 again

:happy175::happy175:

never wouldn't want to be that ever again :emotions34:

I'll be 20 in less than 2 weeks. It doesn't seem real. Trust me, I'll never want to be 19 again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As stated, regear. Luckily you have an RFE, so you can add some trans tweaks to it that the Rams get. Custom tuning is available for it but won't really do all that much with stock components. It's not nor was it ever designed to be a performance engine. You'll have to tear it apart and at LEAST put new pistons on it if you think you're gonna put a turbo on it (or it won't be there long with your stock pistons).

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had my rotors for almost 2 and a half years. Not warped yet and I drive like I'm in nascar. Better performance for me it seems

I drive like an old man cause I am but I'd agree that the performance was a bit better but mine just didn't last. I've had the Napa rotors on there for about four years now with no problems. I have been impressed with the Powerstop kits. I wrapped my 11 Avenger and 01 Subaru and they seem really good. Probably try that next on the Libby. My rears are all Centric right now (drums etc). Did the whole thing, wheel cylinder and all hardware in addition to the shoes. Even replaced the hardlines to the axle split.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
219,000 miles on my 2004
Front rotors/pads/hardware were replaced at 100,000 with new pads etc ( had the Mopar kit sitting there so why not:shrug:)
rears one set of pads as well but still stock rotors, no vibes or abnormal wear

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your antenna appears to be missing.

Also, with regard to suping up the 3.7L, don't. The ring lands cant handle forced induction, any changes to the intake or exhaust are pointless due to a thing called volumetric efficiency. The engine for it's size and volume can only flow so many cfm of air in and out. Larger intake tubes, throttle bodys, exhaust, etc is all overkill and pointless if they flow more air than the engine can breathe through.

Trans kits, getting tip top on maintenance items, and regearing to change your acceleration curve is about where it's at.

It's a compact utility off-road capable 4x4... not an SRT-6 Special Edition Jeep. Gotta work with what you have and the limits that the machine has.

And before you ask, the (as far as I know) one and only v8 swap of a 4.7l into a Liberty does not yield significant increases in hp, only torque which would be of questionable use with an otherwise all stock vehicle.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hell, strap some Nitrous on it! New engines' fully warranted ain't it?

Bob

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your antenna appears to be missing.

Also, with regard to suping up the 3.7L, don't. The ring lands cant handle forced induction, any changes to the intake or exhaust are pointless due to a thing called volumetric efficiency. The engine for it's size and volume can only flow so many cfm of air in and out. Larger intake tubes, throttle bodys, exhaust, etc is all overkill and pointless if they flow more air than the engine can breathe through.

Trans kits, getting tip top on maintenance items, and regearing to change your acceleration curve is about where it's at.

It's a compact utility off-road capable 4x4... not an SRT-6 Special Edition Jeep. Gotta work with what you have and the limits that the machine has.

And before you ask, the (as far as I know) one and only v8 swap of a 4.7l into a Liberty does not yield significant increases in hp, only torque which would be of questionable use with an otherwise all stock vehicle.

actually, I still have the insane urge to do my own Jeep Liberty SRT-4. 400HP/400TQ sounds like some serious fun :D

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
actually, I still have the insane urge to do my own Jeep Liberty SRT-4. 400HP/400TQ sounds like some serious fun :D

Oh Hell yes it does!

Actually, I think a 3.7 partial rebuild with some improved valvetrain and beefed up 4.7l pistons to handle forced induction, paired to a 7-9psi centrifugal supercharger would be the $hit too. Intercooled... see about 260-275hp. Should be enough to scoot the little Libby pretty good.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hell, boys, all it takes is money.

>
>
>
>
Enough to go buy an older performance car that'd still outrun the Jeeps ass.

Bob

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
IF I wanted a performance type of vehicle it sure wouldn't be a Liberty
I love them due to the gas mileage , the way they ride ( after a proper lift) enough room for 4, can go slow when 4 wheeling and enjoy being out there etc.
I've had 427 Vettes, 55 Chevs with Z-28 powertrain, AAR Cuda, and various cars I street raced and made lots of money. But they were all purpose built, not trying to be a fast jeep for example
Although a older Wrangler with straight front axle, lowered with an LS7 could be fun

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want a fast street Jeep, buy an SRT GC.

Latest posts

Members online