peeling rims

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Budviper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im new here but i just bought an 02 liberty and finally had a chance to clean it and noticed my rims are severly flaking and peeling (wtf). I have saw a few online articles about this and it seems that the manufacture dosen't want to clean this up? Any ideas?

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Dalmation edition wheels! Just ask ThunderbirdJunkie about them... ;)

Oh, and (welcome)

Budviper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ill

Yello i see your from ILL i live in TN but i bought this 02 in Vandalia, ILL carfax says has been in ILL since new so im wondering if it has to do with the salt and winter weather?

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Very possible. Road salt in the wintertime is brutal here... protest.gif

I know of a few people who have opted to sand the rims and repaint them black. They've had decent results.

Budviper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
rims

that just really bites though, i wanted to shine em up LOL, I have a friend that knows how to powder coat so i might have to check into that might look ok till i can afford diff ones

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im new here but i just bought an 02 liberty and finally had a chance to clean it and noticed my rims are severly flaking and peeling (wtf). I have saw a few online articles about this and it seems that the manufacture dosen't want to clean this up? Any ideas?
Well being that you bought it used and it is 8 years old you will not have any type of factory warranty.Besides the factory corrosion warranty only covers sheet metal that is painted and not alloy rims anyways.

You can have a bodyshop re-clear them,fast and easy to do after you get the tires dismounted from them.Shouldn't be that pricey either.

Budviper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks tjkj, im gettin some 245/70 from a friend that only have 3k miles on em so i'll check that out before mounting :)

TAwesome

Pizza Pimp
Reaction score
Funny I had this same issue! Haven't really had time to worry about it but when I do I will most certainly be coming back to see development! BTW my 02 has also been near Lake Michigan for 8 years, so it really might be the winter weather and salt that is making them flake.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Yello i see your from ILL i live in TN but i bought this 02 in Vandalia, ILL carfax says has been in ILL since new so im wondering if it has to do with the salt and winter weather?

Yup, aluminum wheels do that.

Too bad you didn't get the genuine Dalmation Edition wheels though:D

Welcome to the site

Budviper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im probably gona wait on the rims for awhile (10% paycut) What a joke least i still got a job. Thanks thunder i will check on that stripping unless i wind up just tossing them after summer ends LOL. If anyone does or has repainted i'd love to see a picture. I have been seeing so many things i would love to do to this jeep now that i might have to quit smoking and drinking so i can fix my JEEP UP!!!!!! These KJ's are actually a very kewl looking ride :) So anyway as for now im just gona be doing small stuff, for the looks, took it out for some mud fun this weekend and she didn't even bog down Just ate it up !!!