Jeep Liberty with no Catalytic convertors in mexico

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matthewbochsler

Reaction score
Hey Peeps - I'm working on a friends 2003 Jeep liberty renegade that was manufactured in california, for mexico. What I'm stumped on is the o2 sensors. In the area of mexico i live, (jalisco) there are no regulations for catalytic convertors, even though they originally shipped this version of the car with them. Some time after it was purchased, the cats were cut out and had straight pipes put in. I My friend just bought it guadalahara 6 months ago from a dealer, and it passed emissions, so i know it was working correctly. ( although someone did turn off or disable the engine code light in the dash, as it doesnt turn on)

Who ever removed the cats originally managed to tell the engine control unit to disregard the front 2 O2 sensors, and only monitor the back 2.

I found this out because it was running just fine before i changed the starter last week. Then i left the battery disconnected for a day, and after i hooked it back it, it started running really rich and throwing codes 15 minutes after starting it up.

with a little research i found that in order to zero out the ecu on this liberty you just have to leave the battery disconnected for a hour. oops.

So, when i checked the front 2 o2 sensors, they were both disconnected, with the pigtails wiretied up. This is when i saw the cats where gone.

Currently its throwing these codes now

poo32- 02 Sensor 1/1 Heater circuit High
poo52- 02 Sensor 2/1 Heater circuit High
po157 - 02 sensor 2/1 circuit low
po158 (occasionally then it clears) 02 Sensor 2/2 Heater circuit High

Does anyone know how to reprogram the vehicle to run on the back 2 o2 sensors only in this configuration? finding Cats for this vehicle and having it restore to factory could be more costly than the vehicle. Thanks in advance for any advice -

Last edited: