passenger side brake light keeps burning out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SabaII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
to....morrow? Ha ha. Yes Peterbilt and KW should carry the heavy duty bulbs. Just go by the bulb number and usually add an LL to the end. They don't burn as bright but do last. Since you have the LED anyhow I would just stick with that if you fixed the problem.

kaykay71110

Full Access Member
Reaction score
heres the pictures I took when it first blue and today!
3231-2012-05-16-07-54-56-476.jpg

3232-2012-05-16-07-52-09-749.jpg

3230-right-brake-light-socket.jpg

3229-right-brake-light.jpg

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well again its not working?? i went and got the diesel bulbs for it (not bright:disgust:) but i think its that peace of plastic that's burnt inside and it is wiggling around???
What does the housing look like,talking about where the bulb holder screws into?

The big rigs bulbs are totally wrong for your system as they are 24 volt bulbs and why they are dimmer since you have a 12 volt system.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
We have been having the same issue with my sister's KJ. First it was the right side, that piece of plastic fell out of place, fell on top of the bulb, heat from the bulb melted the plastic, bulb kept blowing.

I used clear RTV silicone and that seems to have been working just fine. No more blown bulbs...

But the question is... WHY does this keep happening?

kaykay71110

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont understand it they need to glue that shit in place or something!!!

the housing in mine looks like is brand new, nothing is melted where it screws in!

Rennagade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had an issue with this as well. It turned out there was a LOOSE clear plastic lens inside the housing. It shrinks with age I guess. What happened was this loose lens would lean on the bulb and create additional heat OR it would hit it so hard it would crack the bulb. I used a pair of long nose pliers and broke it into small pieces and removed it. It is not needed and I have never had an issue since.

JL2008Dan

Reaction score
I have had to replace my Brake Light on the passenger side usually every other month. I have noticed that the plastic around the connection has melted. I have needed to scrape the melted plastic off the connection. I have notified Jeep hoping that it would be a a Recall. No help and no answer.

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crap, I hope I didn't just jynx myself by reading through this.. seems I don't have any of these odd problems until I read through a thread of others having them lol.

Never heard of people headlights clicking off quickly when they use their turn signals.. but once I read a thread about it, started a month later lol