passenger side brake light keeps burning out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kaykay71110

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my passenger brake light keeps burning out!
last week I put the regular (3157) light in it 2 days later its burnt out so I went and got the better bulbs by silver star and another 2 days later it burnt out I'm like what the freak!!!!:favorites68:

surfRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was plagued by this same thing. Change the bulb and two days later it was out. Ended up being a loose piece of plastic in the tail light housing. It would rattle and bump the bulb and cause it to blow.

kaykay71110

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ill look if there's any loose plastic or anything in the light case...and the socket looks fine to me and I've never towed any thing with this, so I don't know about the towing wiring harness!

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
What make of bulb are you using?
I needed a brake light bulb and the only ones available were cheap
Chinese made crap which burnt out in less than a days usage.
Damn bulb got so hot that the plastic plugin base actually melted
into and onto the socket.

Last edited:

kaykay71110

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well the first time I put Sylvania Long Life Incandescent Mini Bulb and when I went to replace it the bulb was white then the second time Sylvania SilverStar Incandescent Mini Bulb I haven't looked at that one yet!

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC

kaykay71110

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can usually buy them at Auto zone stores
Search: led 3157 bulbs | Mini - Bulb | AutoZone.com

O'Reilly auto parts
Jam Strait 3157A - LED Super-Brite Bulb | O'Reilly Auto Parts

Or you can mail order them from Super Bright LEDS or VLEDS.
LED Brake Light, Turn Light and Tail Light Bulbs - Super Bright LEDs

Exterior LED Bulbs - Brake Light LED

I've even seen them in some Wal Mart stores state side.

ry n jen your awsome :worthy:[I'm gonna go pick some these up tomorrow and see if in 2 days these don't burn out! I pray they don't![-o<

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The biggest isse with the stock tail light housing and repeat bulb failures is a bad bulb holder.You can get new ones from the dealership for about $6 each or amazon has them for cheap.Or the housing itself where the bulb holder screws into,sometimes it get's a little hot and melts the housing causing the contacts to be in the wrong place to make good contact.

Touching the bulb glass is another major reason for early bulb failure as the oils on your hands overheats the glass.You should replace them with rubber gloves on.

kaykay71110

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The biggest isse with the stock tail light housing and repeat bulb failures is a bad bulb holder.You can get new ones from the dealership for about $6 each or amazon has them for cheap.Or the housing itself where the bulb holder screws into,sometimes it get's a little hot and melts the housing causing the contacts to be in the wrong place to make good contact.

Touching the bulb glass is another major reason for early bulb failure as the oils on your hands overheats the glass.You should replace them with rubber gloves on.

well we will see how it works out I got the LEDS in today work fine, just wonder if they will last! if not then $32 down the drain in 3 different sets of bulbs

Yeah when I went to auto zone today the guy told me the same thing and if they still blow then I need to go to Jeep and get new bulb holders but he told me there$$$ so i hope they are only $6

Last edited:

kaykay71110

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The biggest isse with the stock tail light housing and repeat bulb failures is a bad bulb holder.You can get new ones from the dealership for about $6 each or amazon has them for cheap.Or the housing itself where the bulb holder screws into,sometimes it get's a little hot and melts the housing causing the contacts to be in the wrong place to make good

so new update on my tail light!! while at the trails today friend tells me my tail light is out again!!! so I'm just gonna have to do what you said tjkj2002 but I am gonna get LED again! friend told me their bright as :favorites68:
Ill keep posted if it works or not!

SabaII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was gonna chime in to make sure you solve your problem before putting the LED in. Also generally the only lights that are effected by oils are headlights. Brake lights and the such I wouldn't worry about. As TjKj said check the socket as loose contacts can arc causing higher heat burning the bulb out.

kaykay71110

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was gonna chime in to make sure you solve your problem before putting the LED in. Also generally the only lights that are effected by oils are headlights. Brake lights and the such I wouldn't worry about. As TjKj said check the socket as loose contacts can arc causing higher heat burning the bulb out.
LOL to late put them in! but I bought more already but now searching for bulb holders....I looked at the socket everything seems fine I pulled out the other socket to compare so???

Just saw your bulb post...could this be some gremlins related to your door lockout problem? Maybe.
I don't know now you say some about it but its passenger tail light and driver door as I did what you said and the passenger unlocks n stays unlocked

Paul M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know now you say some about it but its passenger tail light and driver door as I did what you said and the passenger unlocks n stays unlocked

Was just thinking they may be related...likely only coincidence. As many have suggested, bulbs burn out due to oils on the glass, vibration, poor connection (the socket), etc. For an LED bulb to burn out that quickly means something else is going on like over/under voltage. I'm curious if the new socket does the trick.

Last edited:

valvestem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can seek out a Heavy Duty rear brake light bulb, they use them in over the road trucks, and Harley Davidson motorcycles because of the vibration factor.

kaykay71110

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can seek out a Heavy Duty rear brake light bulb, they use them in over the road trucks, and Harley Davidson motorcycles because of the vibration factor.

we have a some in town like kenworth, perterbuilt, and harbor fright can I get them there?? or ill just have to call up there and see! FOUND THE LIGHT SOCKETS!!!!
gonna look at them one more time before I buy one! to make sure thats the problem

Last edited:

kaykay71110

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was plagued by this same thing. Change the bulb and two days later it was out. Ended up being a loose piece of plastic in the tail light housing. It would rattle and bump the bulb and cause it to blow.

OKAY I SWEAR IT WASN'T LIKE THIS BEFORE
okay so I took one old bulb that I had on the left out in and was trying to pull the socket out when I heared it rattle I looked n the big clear plastic peace inside the light was loose and a spot melted so I pushed it back in place and glued it I put a new bulb in so see if this was my problem..ill post pics to