P0500 nuff said

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should i take this as no news is good news or i am f'd and no one wants to say it.

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's alot of raw fuel getting into the exhaust.Is the other side doing the same thing?

Kinda surprised that it's not throwing out P0172/P0175 codes also.Did you happen to or can get the fuel trims values? Of course with all the O2 sensors installed and both short term and long term.

Done a compression test yet?

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's alot of raw fuel getting into the exhaust.Is the other side doing the same thing?

Kinda surprised that it's not throwing out P0172/P0175 codes also.Did you happen to or can get the fuel trims values? Of course with all the O2 sensors installed and both short term and long term.

Done a compression test yet?

I didnt look for sure to see if it was doing it on the other side but you can see in the video i looked real quick and it didnt seem to be cherry red or spitting fire. I am not getting any other codes. I dont know if my elm327 and dash command will give me the values your looking for. Before i removed and "cleaned" the o2 sensor they would stay pinned at .900. After the "cleaning" it would jump from .300-.900. The air to fuel ratio pid doesnt work on the elm and i do get maf and map if i am not mistaken. I have yet to do a compression test. My father in law is having his mechanic buddy from work stop by tomorrow.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didnt look for sure to see if it was doing it on the other side but you can see in the video i looked real quick and it didnt seem to be cherry red or spitting fire. I am not getting any other codes. I dont know if my elm327 and dash command will give me the values your looking for. Before i removed and "cleaned" the o2 sensor they would stay pinned at .900. After the "cleaning" it would jump from .300-.900. The air to fuel ratio pid doesnt work on the elm and i do get maf and map if i am not mistaken. I have yet to do a compression test. My father in law is having his mechanic buddy from work stop by tomorrow.

O2 voltage is not what you want to look at but if your talking about the downstream O2's jumping from 0.3v-0.9v that means the cats are not functioning.

Don't care about the fuel/air mix either but all can be known by the short term and long term fuel trims(maybe listed as STFT and LTFT).You want them to be close to 0 (+/- 10). Short term fuel trim is what the PCM is doing for fuel delivery right now and long term is is a average over a longer period/history.Positive #'s the PCM is adding more fuel(rich mixture),and negative #'s the PCM is reducing the amount of fuel(lean mixture).

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea i flipped around the app and it does offer instant fuel trim numbers i can post later today.

Thanks guys.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am very sorry guys but i can not figure out how to do the photos like i used to. Lean explained it and i follow it to a T but it aint working. So apologies in advance.

First start up idle around 1k.
You must be registered for see images

Revving to 2k still cold

Revving 2500rpm

Drove around to the garage idling around 900

This blank cube is my attempt this is the direct link posted into the image button on the forum.

Last edited:

Royy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should be able to get separate values for both banks. The -33.6% STFT shown in your screenshots is bad, it indicates the computer thinks the engine is receiving way too much fuel, and is attempting to reduce the amount. This is in line with what tjkj2002 said about a lot of raw fuel going into the exhaust.

It seems kinda weird to me that the Long Term FT is stuck at exactly 0% in all the sreenshots. No idea what would cause that, someone else might be able to tell you more about that.

Again, try to get the separate values for both banks, that may help narrow things down.
If it turns out that only one bank is having this issue, it may be something like a bad fuel injector or o2 sensor. If both banks are having this issue, it's more likely to be related to fuel pressure or issues with the air intake system.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My father in law and his buddy did some more troubleshooting today and found my fuel pressure was not staying consistent it would fluctuate from 20 pounds to 50+ pounds. They are pretty set on a fuel pump. I will be testing the pressure tomorrow by myself and ordering a fuel pump if i can witness this fluctuation that would seal it for me.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fuel pressure primes at 20 and once started goes to 50 exactly and does not go up or down while revving.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats no good right i already ordered a fuel pump cause its like $100 cheaper on rock auto.

derekj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My father in law and his buddy did some more troubleshooting today and found my fuel pressure was not staying consistent it would fluctuate from 20 pounds to 50+ pounds. They are pretty set on a fuel pump. I will be testing the pressure tomorrow by myself and ordering a fuel pump if i can witness this fluctuation that would seal it for me.

Your problem is not your fuel pump. After watching your video your problem is too much fuel getting into the exhaust on the right side. The cat should not be red hot and spitting out flames. Just from watching the video you probably have a injector sticking open and it is dumping raw fuel into the exhaust. Then that fuel hits the 500 deg cat and ignites. A quick test would be to run it with the o2 out and unplug one fuel injector at a time and see if it makes a difference in the flame coming out. This might not help if the injector is jammed open but it is worth a try. Also if it has been running like this for a while the cat converter on that side is probably now melted(from the flames) and plugged up and will need replacing. I would also assume that the upstream o2 on that side is buggered as well.

I think it is time for you to just take it to a shop with the proper diagnostic equipment and have it checked out. I see so many people waste time and money chasing down problems instead of just taking it to a shop first and having it fixed the first time.

Just my 2 cents.