P0234,bad turbo?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

calbear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I go up to the mountains every weekend. Lately my Jeep grew the habit of throwing P0234 code driving uphill. This usually happens 10-15 mins into the climb and usually clears with 3 ignition cycle trick.

However last weekend the code kept on coming back so I believe there is something very wrong with the boost system.

I checked all the hoses for cracks. Cleaned MAF and MAP. So what is left is the turbo could be going weak.

Has anybody else had a similar problem?

What kind of turbo does 2006 KJs use and what will it cost?

thanks

warp2diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check to make sure the veins are free and not stuck. VW has been using the ~same type turbo for years (my Wife's 99 TDI has one too) and there have been cases of stuck veins. People have freed them up with penetrating oil.
One thing I have noticed when towing is that if I use the cruse going up the hill the EGT goes much higher than if I use my foot. The Midwest US does not have long mountain grades but there are a few steep bluffs near the rivers.

summitrider800r

Reaction score
X2 on stuck vanes. Not sure about these turbos but on my Ford 6.0L diesel you can pull the turbo and open up the exhaust housing. All it takes is some small sanding discs on a drill and you take all the soot and corrosion off.