Overheating :( Part # question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

badkittystt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, Mr. Darcy has started overheating again. About a year and a half ago he was doing this and I found a pinhole leak in the front ride side of the radiator and I threw some jb weld on it and all was well. Yesterday morning I'm driving home and I notice the temp gauge is going from 3/4 back down to 1/2 and I thought nothing of it. Later in the afternoon I'm driving a friend around looking to get her apartment, love my friends but you can only live with me for so long, and as we are going up a long fairly steep hill, pretty much identical to every road on the island, suddenly a nuclear bomb of steam comes out of the hood and my temp gauge is 100% bad! I stopped, put him in neutral, and threw the heat up to full blast (this all happened in about .2 seconds, scared my friend to death, and full heat is not lovely when it's 93 degrees in the caribbean, let me tell you.) So we sat there, waited for the temp gauge to come back down, turned around and went home. Luckily I was just a few minutes away and mostly downhill. When we got home I popped the hood so he could cool down faster, now fast forward a few hours, I go back outside and start filling the reservoir and my friend asks how it will ever fill up if it just pours out the front. I walk to the front and sure enough there is a crack about 1 1/2" going down the corner of the right side. :pp: I left it for a few more hours and then jb welded it again. Unfortunately I waited a bit too long, it was twilight, and this morning I see that I missed a decent bit of the crack. Drove the boy to work this morning with no problem but I've got Mr. Darcy outside with the hood up and I'll refill before I have to go to work.

So this long and entertaining (maybe?) story all boils down to one thing, is 2 RADIATOR, Engine Cooling 05183562AA the radiator part that I need? I grabbed it from my parts fiche but I hate the drawings in those things, I just don't have the mechanical mind to make sense of it all separated like that.

Thanks!

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep that would be it. I'd get the hoses too and a thermostat and if you want to complete the job, get a water pump too. Basically at the bare minimum you need a new radiator.

edit:

I wouldn't drive it too much if not at all until you get it fixed. You don't want this engine heating up too fast. You could ruin the heads/valves. If you've seen any of the "dropped valve seat" threads, that's what I'm talking about.

Last edited:

badkittystt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice! I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do for work today, also need to go to the gym (family of hot cousins + going to wedding in october = Kitty at the gym every day). I wish I could use rescue tape on it but I don't think you can rescue tape the corner of a radiator.

badkittystt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I just looked on RockAuto and none of the radiators listed for an '06 Liberty match the part number I found, do I have engine oil cooler? Why is this so hard?!

badkittystt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, so i found someone on craigslist that has a 2004 liberty he is parting out and it has a "good radiator". Will this work? I'm stuck at home so I'm going to continually refresh this page until it's fixed, I'm pretty sure that's how you work on a jeep....

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f196/rad-time-49687/

ry went with the omnix ada from rock auto

twobobs went with the spectra premium.

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f196/radiator-******-cooler-standalone-49142/index4.html

both are the 2002 radiator which has potential to add in the trans cooler lines. So that would be the part which specify oil cooler and is the preferred choice if you want to add transmission cooling.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even if you don't run the trans cooler lines into the radiator you can use that rad - just leave the trans cooler lines as they are now and leave the trans cooler plugs in the new radiator. No issues there.

It will fit model years '02-04 for sure and probably up to '07. The physical size is no different for the radiator from one model year to the next. The fan plugs are different from '05 on but that isn't a worry since you're not changing out the fan anyway.

EDIT: Kitty, here are a couple of options for you from the RockAuto catalog (remember to use the 5% discount code from the Vendor section here.) Both of these will work - both have the trans cooler option available to you if you want it but it's not necessary to hook up. If you just want to bolt in a new one either will work.

Vista Pro Radiator - '06 Jeep Liberty

Spectra Premium - '06 Jeep Liberty

Bob