Engine overheating, losing coolant, not pulling from expansion tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lostintheforest

Reaction score
I seem to have a problem with the engine losing coolant and not pulling from the expansion tank. Over the years after a VERY long time, I'll have to fill the radiator, meanwhile the radiator isn't pulling from the expansion tank. This came up again after the engine overheated (as a result of low coolant) the dash light came on, and yet the temp gauge itself never went past the middle which is usually my first sign that I'm low on coolant. Lot's of gurgling until it could cool down enough where I could add water. Yet the overflow tank was topped off still. Anyone have this issue?

Jack2282

Reaction score
anyone test for failed head gasket and actually find one? if so what tests did you run and what did they show-this is very important for us all dealing with over heating

Lostintheforest

Reaction score
So about a month ago I finally had the shop look into this and they found hydrocarbons in the coolant which basically says I have a small head gasket leak. The oil looks like it should after 6,000 miles so it's not a big leak, but enough that it's not a sealed system and is why I was slooooowly leaking coolant. I've probably had this problem since before I got the car 30,000 miles ago so I'm not too concerned with it, but I think long distance trips are out of the question now. I've been eyeballing a 2015 Grand Cherokee but it's a bit more than I want to spend at the moment... The dilemma is whether to do the head gaskets myself or buy another vehicle and at 220,000 miles it might be time to buy that other vehicle. I dunno? Thoughts on a 2015 Grand Cherokee with 100,000 miles?

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have 212,000 on mine and I am redoing lift struts with new springs and shocks and changing all the bushings. You probably don’t want to ask me what I think, LOL. ;)

On a serious note, if rust is not going to be an issue yet and all the important stuff still works, I would probably redo the head gaskets. But if rust will claim it soon, I would let it go.

Lostintheforest

Reaction score
I have 212,000 on mine and I am redoing lift struts with new springs and shocks and changing all the bushings. You probably don’t want to ask me what I think, LOL. ;)

On a serious note, if rust is not going to be an issue yet and all the important stuff still works, I would probably redo the head gaskets. But if rust will claim it soon, I would let it go.
I put new shocks and struts all the way around on mine at about that point too. New tires probably 5,000 miles ago also. Oh, and rust didn't used to be an issue here in the PNW, however, several years ago OR and WA began allowing calcium chloride or whatever on the roads before a snowstorm instead of simply sand and gravel so we might start having frame and rocker rust issues.

Last edited:

Lostintheforest

Reaction score
So that small head gasket leak became a massive head gasket leak I'm pretty sure. Anyone got a good youtube video and/or some good detailed instructions on pulling the heads, along with anything else I should swap out at the same time?

Aeroscott

Reaction score
your going to need the timing chain holder tool if you are going to pull the heads, I don't think its real expensive but it is an essential tool for the job.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you know, at 212k, you might just consider an engine out service.
if you're doing 1 head, you should probably do the other as well.
front and rear main seals would make sense (they're going to be closer to expiring than not.)
then go around and re-seal everything while you're at it.

and at THAT point, i'd be considering looking into a good used or reman'ed engine.

John P.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not a super difficult job. 10.2 hours in the book. I am having mine done now. $1500 for the job. I just don't have the available time to do it. You'll need a good machine shop to check and resurface the heads. While they are there I'm also having them install a new oil pump. I started dragging around a 5x8 trailer this summer and I guess that additional strain caused my issue.

Lostintheforest

Reaction score
your going to need the timing chain holder tool if you are going to pull the heads, I don't think its real expensive but it is an essential tool for the job.
When I did the heads on my Grand Caravan I didn't need any special tool so this surprises me. I'll look into it.

John P.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I did the heads on my Grand Caravan I didn't need any special tool so this surprises me. I'll look into it.
The special tool is to hold the camshaft in place when you remove or install the sprocket. It is nice to have the tool. However that said, I have done it with a good (not cheap) pair of vice grips and a rag. If you have a good punch set that will also fit in the hole.