P0172 p0175 engine overheating on idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Helpmeplz

Reaction score
Hello everyone! Thanks in advanced for taking the time to read and for any veteran advice you have.

Jeep liberty 2008

3.7L V6

Here's the issues I've observed:

• temp gauge overheating while idling but immediately goes back down when accelerating but not if the ac is cranked (roughly 2 days)
  • no heat since I've owned the car, ac is blowing cold (5 months)
  • 2 odb codes P0175+P0172 "oil too rich" (4 months)
  • coolant levels have been topped off no obvious leaks

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Your codes are probably related to fuel system too rich, not oil. oxygen sensors may need replacement.
Pressure test the cooling system to 16 psi and see if it holds pressure for 10 minutes.
Only use Hoat coolant or zerex G05. Your water pump could also be an issue, but lets see if it holds pressure.
You may want to flush the cooling system if anything other than HOAT coolant has ever been added.
No heat, that may be the blend door actuator?
I own a KJ so Hopefully one of the KK members can add to this thread.

budget76

Reaction score
Agree. If coolant old, flush properly, check heater core lines.
HEAT ISSUE - I needed to reverse flush my daughters heater core twice as it got plugged up. Do this before adding new coolant.
Is thermostat ok. Sounds like time to replace with OEM thermostat as I hear many after-markets fail to work properly.
I agree with blend door being suspect. xerex G05 is good stuff. use it.
I agree with pressure test if you have one or borrow from auto parts store. cheap and easy.
diagnose more, spend less. flush is required if unknown when last done.