Option for heated mirrors on sport?...Or just on Limited?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

m_volyrakis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My sport came with heated mirrors.
The heating ellement is in the glass.
You need to run 2 wires if you whant to upgrade.
Everything else is same as in power non heated mirror.
I have a couple of photos if you are interested.

nemss1

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Sure. Photos are helpful. Thank you

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Run what 2 wires? I bought heated mirrors for our 04 and it was just plug & play, worked as soon as plugged them in and bolted them down.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When i was working on the speakers on my 03' i was thinking about this also. I looked at the connector that plugs into the harness from the mirror, the positions for the power and ground for the heater element were empty, so i would have to run wiring from the doors to the defrost switch in the center of the dash. The best i can tell looking at the wiring diagrams they are powered off the same circuit as the rear defrost and all come on with the same button.

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When i was working on the speakers on my 03' i was thinking about this also. I looked at the connector that plugs into the harness from the mirror, the positions for the power and ground for the heater element were empty, so i would have to run wiring from the doors to the defrost switch in the center of the dash. The best i can tell looking at the wiring diagrams they are powered off the same circuit as the rear defrost and all come on with the same button.
That's exactly how they work. There should have been prongs in the door harness for the heated mirror. The non-heated mirror usually doesn't have the prongs that mate up with it.

m_volyrakis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is the picture you requested. To open your mirror up, position the mirror to the lowest posible angle on the right (down and right). This will leave a small opening on the outter top corner (up and left) between the mirror and the hoousing. Insert a small flat screwdriver and undo one of the clips that hold the glass on the motor. Once you undo one (be carefull not to break it ), the glass will easily come out. I was scared first time I tried that, but it is not difficult at all and does not require any skills.

You must be registered for see images attach

As for running the 2 wires, what I meant, is that incase you would like to upgrade from power to power-heated and provided that your door has the correct harness, you would need to purchase a heated glass and add the 2 black wires that run from the glass to the mirror's connector.

retmil46

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed. DaimlerChrysler seemed to be in full penny-pinching mode when it came to the '05 model year. Cheaper plastic in the interior, no weather strip at the top of the windshield, thinner rubber on the door seals, and cheaper seats as well.

From what I've found doing the 02 seat install, this penny pinching extended to the electrical side as well. Smaller capacity circuit breakers and fuses, smaller gauge wire, and in the case of the seats, not putting in wire runs whatsoever, to save a couple bucks worth of copper per vehicle. I'm having to run entirely new wiring all the way from the dash to the seats just to power them - even though all the fuses are installed and all the slots have power to them, there's no wiring running from the junction block to the vehicle.

You would have thought to run vehicles off the line in the most efficient manner, they'd have one generic harness for the KJ, and depending on the options just install short jumper harnesses to power everything up. Instead, at least for the 05 CRD, it looks as if they had to custom wire everything past the fuse panels depending on what was supposed to be on the vehicle.:rolleyes:.

If they were getting that far down in the weeds trying to save money back in 05, tells me they were in financial trouble long before they declared bankruptcy this year.

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed. DaimlerChrysler seemed to be in full penny-pinching mode when it came to the '05 model year. Cheaper plastic in the interior, no weather strip at the top of the windshield, thinner rubber on the door seals, and cheaper seats as well.

From what I've found doing the 02 seat install, this penny pinching extended to the electrical side as well. Smaller capacity circuit breakers and fuses, smaller gauge wire, and in the case of the seats, not putting in wire runs whatsoever, to save a couple bucks worth of copper per vehicle. I'm having to run entirely new wiring all the way from the dash to the seats just to power them - even though all the fuses are installed and all the slots have power to them, there's no wiring running from the junction block to the vehicle.

You would have thought to run vehicles off the line in the most efficient manner, they'd have one generic harness for the KJ, and depending on the options just install short jumper harnesses to power everything up. Instead, at least for the 05 CRD, it looks as if they had to custom wire everything past the fuse panels depending on what was supposed to be on the vehicle.:rolleyes:.

If they were getting that far down in the weeds trying to save money back in 05, tells me they were in financial trouble long before they declared bankruptcy this year.
I have this ***** for both my late model vehicles. The same main harness with everything in it would be easier to produce than a myriad bunch of different ones dependent on options. I wouldn't have had to make a harness for a damn overhead console, just buy a short one. :mad:

nemss1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the pic man. It is very helpful. How hard would it be to install a power driver seat?...like wiring and such?