Open Differential Confusion...?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jschenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
See now you have 2 different stories as you originally quoted..........

In a open diff you do not have a "drive wheel".Torque follows the path of least resistance be it the left or right side.If equal resistance is achieved both wheels spin the same.

Also just because the pavement was wet does not mean you should be able to spin your tires.Wet pavement is still a high traction surface.

Yes, 2 different stories from two DIFFERENT situations. The first situation had identical results 2 times (I know, because I inspected the spins), the second situation did not produce the same results as the first situation, resulting in 2 different stories. Seeing as how the vehicle did not perform exactly the same under different circumstances confirms that it's a plain-ol' open diff. This thread was not about trying to convince anyone I have something I don't, it was about trying to understand something that didn't seem to be "normal" for an open differential. As a result of the answers of people (such as yourself) I know more than I did before. You have no place to be critical of "different" stories when you haven't seen the results of all of them. We take you at your word when you say something happens a certain way, and you are expected to do the same. We are all trying to learn more and make sense of "strange" situations.

And concerning wet pavement, I agree, wet pavement is still a high traction surface, but saturated pavement is not, as it takes what, a 1/4'' of standing water to cause hydroplaning? When water is still shedding from the pavement, I believe it's more than just wet.

And seeing as how my my question has been answered and the "mystery" has been solved, this thread has fulfilled his purpose.