Oops

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only took 6 months. Time to start pricing out a sfa if I can't find a cheap junkyard one that's ready to swap in.

Pulled the front shaft and pinion. Was able to drive 25 miles home from the trails.
You must be registered for see images attach

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Only took 6 months. Time to start pricing out a sfa if I can't find a cheap junkyard one that's ready to swap in.

Pulled the front shaft and pinion. Was able to drive 25 miles home from the trails.

Now here is where the older/wiser guy says;
"A locker would of been a way better investment than LED light bars etc "
But since I am neither old nor wise , I won't say a thing:emotions34:
just let the older wiser guy say it

13 years on the 04 and never an issue

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now here is where the older/wiser guy says;
"A locker would of been a way better investment than LED light bars etc "
But since I am neither old nor wise , I won't say a thing:emotions34:
just let the older wiser guy say it

13 years on the 04 and never an issue

I would have broken it eventually with a locker. I've made it up this hill before no problem plenty of times. Was kinda silly how easy it gave up it was most likely in a weakened state from previous trips.

Ive wheeled it hard 1-2 times a week since April. Also first time breaking a front diff. This is my 4th Liberty. 2nd one lifted and beat up on.

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have a lead on a 4cyl being parted.
You must be registered for see images

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I would have broken it eventually with a locker. I've made it up this hill before no problem plenty of times. Was kinda silly how easy it gave up it was most likely in a weakened state from previous trips.

Ive wheeled it hard 1-2 times a week since April. Also first time breaking a front diff. This is my 4th Liberty. 2nd one lifted and beat up on.

Haven't yet heard of one with a locker busting the front diff
Now spending the money and building it right takes a ton more dollars
and then you will more than likely bust something again.
Had a buddy get stupid back years ago, tore up a 44/ a 60 and a 9 inch all in a month just trying to get up one hill
:happy175:
We all just brought along lawn chairs for us and tow ropes for him

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Grab both front and rear
good to have spares :gr_grin:
Yeah that's the plan. Then I'll sell my current rear because I already have a spare rear housing and shafts.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would have broken it eventually with a locker.

Then you would have been the 1st.

None has reported breaking the D30A with a DTT or locker installed(full case locker).

I've wheeled my alot harder on the rocks with most of the time having 1 front wheel in the air and never broke my D30A with a DTT and my KJ even IFS still was 5500lbs.

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thinking the new one will get a selectable locker.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Woh..holy case crack/explosion! What did it sound like when it blew?
I hope Myke you are able to find a 4cyl replacement soon.
Maybe a steel front diff would be a better option, but JBA wants $1500 for one.

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jba front diff would be cheaper than sfa....well sfa done right

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How does having the locker in there get around the fact that it's a cast aluminum housing? I thought that was the thing that was the weakest component and why they blow apart like that... or when you come crashing down on a boulder.. of course.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
What happened? Classic wheels spinning then one suddenly gets traction?

Reinforces my method of "mild" wheeling :D

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
How does having the locker in there get around the fact that it's a cast aluminum housing? I thought that was the thing that was the weakest component and why they blow apart like that... or when you come crashing down on a boulder.. of course.

What happens with out a locker is one wheel gets to spinning, when it catches , then BOOM. Having a locker , when used correctly eliminates that wheel spin therefore no sudden tire grab and no boom. Just common sense . They are weak when used open I guess you could say. Everyone I have switced out here was just from that, someone hammering on it then suddenly catching . So again a good locker takes care of that issue and therefore the aluminum case is doing its job.
You should never come crashing down on a boulder unless you're dumb enough to wheel with out skids

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What happens with out a locker is one wheel gets to spinning, when it catches , then BOOM. Having a locker , when used correctly eliminates that wheel spin therefore no sudden tire grab and no boom. Just common sense . They are weak when used open I guess you could say. Everyone I have switced out here was just from that, someone hammering on it then suddenly catching . So again a good locker takes care of that issue and therefore the aluminum case is doing its job.
You should never come crashing down on a boulder unless you're dumb enough to wheel with out skids

Good to know.. I don't rock crawl or wheel anywhere too rough, mostly two-track trails and the like.. so my experience is very minimal.. I thought all the speaking about how "weak" the Dana 30a is was because it was an aluminum housing.. so I just figured it was susceptible to impact damage.

Last edited:

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What happened? Classic wheels spinning then one suddenly gets traction?

Reinforces my method of "mild" wheeling :D

Yeah trying to get up a hill, I wasn't even beating on it but I think it was previously damaged/stressed and this was the last straw before it popped.

Picking up front and rear with 4.10s on Thursday for $275

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Wow way to make everyone here feel bad...

...awesome score. Congrats! :D

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to know.. I don't rock crawl or wheel anywhere too rough, mostly two-track trails and the like.. so my experience is very minimal.. I thought all the speaking about how "weak" the Dana 30a is was because it was an aluminum housing.. so I just figured it was susceptible to impact damage.

It's not the fact that the case is aluminum,once that 1 free spinning wheel grabs traction the pinion will want to "walk" up the ring gear and that is when the case goes boom.A DTT or locker(full case locker) will help keep that 1 wheel without traction(in the air) from free spinning to fast causing the case to explode.

If you break the front D30A by impact damage you either had a major front end accident or not properly prepared to go offroad since you should have a front skid plate and something much beefier then the stock OEM skid.

Just think armored HMMWV's weigh over 13,000lbs and have front and rear aluminum diffs.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Would there still be damage if that happened in a steel diff? I'm guessing it would just move on to the next weakest link. Just curious. I agree that a DTT or other locker is the best idea.

Remember those diff collars people were running? I thought those were just a paperweight.