OME Suspension Lift and Tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gvaldez

Reaction score
Greetings and salutations from San Diego, CA.

I recently joined JeepKJ forum to research suspension options for my 2002 Liberty Limited. Glad to find there's no shortage of knowledge and info on this topic. After reading through more threads then I recall, speaking with some local off road shops and subscribing to the philosophy of, "buy once, cry once", I've order the following items through one of those shops, who will also be doing the install. My objective is to replace the suspension, add lift and make the KJ daily driver more off road capable for hobbies that can put me on dirt roads and trails. Not immediately interested in any advanced types off road goodness.

The items won't ship for a few weeks so if you see something wrong, appreciated it if you could to say something. The one item I'm not sure about are the tires and whether or not I will get any rubbing and or noticeable power loss.

2927 OME Coil Spring - Front
90009 OME Nitrocharger Sport Shocks - front
Teraflex bump stop extensions - front

2948 OME Coil Spring - Rear
N132L OME Nitrocharger Shocks - rear
Bump stops - rear

Coil Spring isolators
BFG K02 LT245/75R16 AT Tires
Hockey pucks - Shop will not install these but they've agreed to drill a 3/8" hole so I can install them myself. easy-peasy.

Thanks, all the threads have been helpful. And if you see a misstep, please let me know.

Cheers,

Gerry

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Greetings and salutations from San Diego, CA.

I recently joined JeepKJ forum to research suspension options for my 2002 Liberty Limited. Glad to find there's no shortage of knowledge and info on this topic. After reading through more threads then I recall, speaking with some local off road shops and subscribing to the philosophy of, "buy once, cry once", I've order the following items through one of those shops, who will also be doing the install. My objective is to replace the suspension, add lift and make the KJ daily driver more off road capable for hobbies that can put me on dirt roads and trails. Not immediately interested in any advanced types off road goodness.

The items won't ship for a few weeks so if you see something wrong, appreciated it if you could to say something. The one item I'm not sure about are the tires and whether or not I will get any rubbing and or noticeable power loss.

2927 OME Coil Spring - Front
90009 OME Nitrocharger Sport Shocks - front
Teraflex bump stop extensions - front

2948 OME Coil Spring - Rear
N132L OME Nitrocharger Shocks - rear
Bump stops - rear

Coil Spring isolators
BFG K02 LT245/75R16 AT Tires
Hockey pucks - Shop will not install these but they've agreed to drill a 3/8" hole so I can install them myself. easy-peasy.

Thanks, all the threads have been helpful. And if you see a misstep, please let me know.

Cheers,

Gerry
You got the right build. You will also need the JBA UCAs in the front. Once it’s all in and aligned, your Liberty will be far more capable than you realize.

Here’s this parts list in action.
You must be registered for see images attach

gvaldez

Reaction score
Thanks, Johnny

Liberator looks great.

Regarding JBA UCA's. I didn't add them because the current OEM UCA's are maybe a year old and, I thought JBA UCA's were recommended/required after 3" of lift. But if this not correct or JBA UCA's will deliver proper performance, stability and alignment even for the lift size I'm using, I'll take the hit now rather then later.

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Johnny

Liberator looks great.

Regarding JBA UCA's. I didn't add them because the current OEM UCA's are maybe a year old and, I thought JBA UCA's were recommended/required after 3" of lift. But if this not correct or JBA UCA's will deliver proper performance, stability and alignment even for the lift size I'm using, I'll take the hit now rather then later.
Welcome to the neighborhood. I’ve begun acquiring these parts as well. Lots of useful information here.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Thanks, Johnny

Liberator looks great.

The JBAs are highly recommended for the 2.5” lift you are putting in. The Jeep Won’t align very well with the OE.
I assure you the JBAs are worth every penny. The greasable, rebuildable ball joints in them are magnificent.

I also suggest greasable moog lower ball joints and tie rod ends.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
At 2.5 inches of lift stock arms will work just fine and you can also get it into lifted specs at that height with them
Now going on up higher then yes on the JBA arms
Everyone has to remember many of us ran 1000s of miles before Al Handy came up with the original replacement UCAs ( reason for JBA, JeepinByAl )

Rstep21

Reaction score
Just purchased a 06 Liberty and started acquiring some parts. I got a set of Bilstein 5100’s part# 24-282642. WhT spring should I but for these? Thanks

JeepinSteve

Reaction score
Hello Gerry,

I just recently installed the same suspension setup as you are planning on getting (OME front and rear) in my 2004. I was also thinking of doing the upper control arms, but decided based on the advice from the experienced people on this forum and the place that I purchased the OME kit said it wasn't necessary, just a nice improvement over stock. Eventually I will do it just as a nice upgrade. I was concerned that I would have a problem with the upper control arm hitting the spring based on some comments I read on this form, but as you can see from the image I posted, there is over an inch of space between the UCA and the spring (This picture was taken with the tire on the ground). As far as alignment goes, I did not get a printout of the alignment specs as I had it done by an experienced shop that has a manual alignment setup, no computers. It seems to track straight and although I have only driven probably 500 or 600 miles with the new springs, there doesn't seem to be any wearing issues.

As far as tires go, I have 30 x 9.5 x 15 tires (Cooper Discoverer STT Pro) on a Steel Pro Comp wheel with 3.75 inches of back spacing. I know most people would argue against this backspacing, but I wanted a little more aggressive look with the tires poking out the sides. At full lock, they BARELY rub the front bottom tip of the front bumper / wheel well and when turned the opposite way will BARELY rub the plastic bump covering the seam weld. A little trimming could fix this. Hope this helps.

Steve

Attachments

• Side View.jpg
    Side View.jpg
    543.9 KB · Views: 77
  • Front View.jpg
    Front View.jpg
    429.7 KB · Views: 76
  • Left Front Strut.jpg
    Left Front Strut.jpg
    261.6 KB · Views: 73
  • Front Suspension Image.jpg
    Front Suspension Image.jpg
    265.2 KB · Views: 67
  • Rear Suspension Image.jpg
    Rear Suspension Image.jpg
    347.8 KB · Views: 80

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Just purchased a 06 Liberty and started acquiring some parts. I got a set of Bilstein 5100’s part# 24-282642. WhT spring should I but for these? Thanks
If you are going with OME springs OR any lift springs do not use the front 5100s
Using those will preload the springs and cause premature issues

Anyone thinking or wanting to use the Bilstein 5100 adjustable front shocks , think again
If you do want to use them, not sure why but,.....
You should not install them any more than sitting at the 0 mark, that is it
Any higher and it will create a disaster , degrading the springs within a few months
It preloads the springs which is very bad much like cheap spacer lifts do
These shocks should of never been built in the first place
4600s are cheaper , are the same internally , and are built for the KJs/KKs to keep the same spring perch at stock distances
Jeepinjarhead and I have discussed this and just today I seen a discussion suggesting someone use them

Please do not , unless you want to spend the extra money , set them at 0 just to say you have them
Questions ?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello Gerry,

I just recently installed the same suspension setup as you are planning on getting (OME front and rear) in my 2004. I was also thinking of doing the upper control arms, but decided based on the advice from the experienced people on this forum and the place that I purchased the OME kit said it wasn't necessary, just a nice improvement over stock. Eventually I will do it just as a nice upgrade. I was concerned that I would have a problem with the upper control arm hitting the spring based on some comments I read on this form, but as you can see from the image I posted, there is over an inch of space between the UCA and the spring (This picture was taken with the tire on the ground). As far as alignment goes, I did not get a printout of the alignment specs as I had it done by an experienced shop that has a manual alignment setup, no computers. It seems to track straight and although I have only driven probably 500 or 600 miles with the new springs, there doesn't seem to be any wearing issues.

As far as tires go, I have 30 x 9.5 x 15 tires (Cooper Discoverer STT Pro) on a Steel Pro Comp wheel with 3.75 inches of back spacing. I know most people would argue against this backspacing, but I wanted a little more aggressive look with the tires poking out the sides. At full lock, they BARELY rub the front bottom tip of the front bumper / wheel well and when turned the opposite way will BARELY rub the plastic bump covering the seam weld. A little trimming could fix this. Hope this helps.

Steve
Yes most will argue since now you need to ran more bumpstop in the rear ,

gvaldez

Reaction score
Hello Gerry,

Steve
jeepinSteve,

Appreciate you sharing this. Your 04 looks great. Cooper's look really good.

My current plan is to hold, on the JBA's. After talking to the shop last week about this, the install charge is the same if I did it now or later. Once I drive it, I can change my decision if needed. If I get the same results as you, I'll leave it as is for bit and turn my attention to other priorities (e.g brakes, windshield and A/C Evaporator).

Seems the springs are on backorder but I'm told they are currently showing a ship date, later this month.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
jeepinSteve,

Appreciate you sharing this. Your 04 looks great. Cooper's look really good.

My current plan is to hold, on the JBA's. After talking to the shop last week about this, the install charge is the same if I did it now or later. Once I drive it, I can change my decision if needed. If I get the same results as you, I'll leave it as is for bit and turn my attention to other priorities (e.g brakes, windshield and A/C Evaporator).

Seems the springs are on backorder but I'm told they are currently showing a ship date, later this month.
Well worth the lead times on the ARB stuff. Even my tent is ARB. They are that good.

Rstep21

Reaction score
If you are going with OME springs OR any lift springs do not use the front 5100s
Using those will preload the springs and cause premature issues

Anyone thinking or wanting to use the Bilstein 5100 adjustable front shocks , think again
If you do want to use them, not sure why but,.....
You should not install them any more than sitting at the 0 mark, that is it
Any higher and it will create a disaster , degrading the springs within a few months
It preloads the springs which is very bad much like cheap spacer lifts do
These shocks should of never been built in the first place
4600s are cheaper , are the same internally , and are built for the KJs/KKs to keep the same spring perch at stock distances
Jeepinjarhead and I have discussed this and just today I seen a discussion suggesting someone use them

Please do not , unless you want to spend the extra money , set them at 0 just to say you have them
Questions ?
Thanks for the advice, I got the pair $100 brand new in the box so much cheaper than the 4600’s. If I set them at 0 then which spring is recommended? Thanks

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, I got the pair $100 brand new in the box so much cheaper than the 4600’s. If I set them at 0 then which spring is recommended? Thanks
OME 927s / 948 combo will give you 2.5 inches of lift
( plus bumpstops etc )
if lift is what you are wanting

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Johnny O,

Regarding the ARB tent, by chance is it the deluxe awning room?
Nah, that’s overpriced. I run the ARB Skydome double swag tent. Expensive and hard to get, but superior to every other two person tent on the market. (And I’ve tested most of the big names in tents) I use the Slumberjack roadhouse tarp/awning room. It’s a tenth of the weight and price and does just fine in all weather, plus it actually seals off under the rear bumper when the bug walls are down. The ARB awning has design flaws beyond the excess weight.

Latest posts

Members online