OME 1.5" install this weekend

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

80Flareside

Reaction score
I bought the OME 1.5" springs (927 / 948) and shocks and UCA's from JBA a few months ago, along with some Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's in 245/75-R16, and finally got around to installing them over the last couple of days.

I live in CT, and with the new liquid calcium chloride they salt the state roads here with, there is a decent amount of rust on anything the factory didnt paint over (note to self, replace brake hoses before winter as the ends are rusting away to nothing). Being nervous about breaking a bolt, I sprayed everything with PB blaster several times over the last 2 weeks. Even with that, there were a couple nuts that the impact gun had to sit on for 15-20 seconds before anything would start to move.

From start to finish (tires off to tires on), it took me 6 hrs to do the fronts (4 for the drivers side, 2 for the passenger), including using a spring compressor to assemble the struts. (Next time, I will buy new top plates, and isolators so I can have a shop do it with a press.) The rears took me about 2 hours, again having to use the compressor to get the springs between the axle and body.

Prior to starting I was a 18 1/2" (-1") front and rear. With the new springs I am now sitting at 23" in front (+3 1/2) and 22" (+2 1/2) in the rear, which goes a long way in leveling the Jeep out.

The alignment after the lift was so bad (positive camber, toe-in), that I could smell the rubber burning after a 2 mile test drive. I had a local shop do the alignment, and mount the 5 new tires yesterday afternoon, and aside from having to torch my tie-rods they were able to get everything into spec (and the rear glass still clears the spare - by 1/8").

I drove 30 miles into work this morning, half surface roads, half interstate, and it rides beautifully. There is a bit of noise coming from the front left when going over bumps, but im cautiously optimistic that its something I either never paid attention to before, or that it will dissipate as everything settles in.

Last edited:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well done!

For others reading this... I HIGHLY recommend having a shop assemble the front assemblies for you - it's too dangerous to compress the springs at home. I'm thankful you didn't have an issue but for the small amount shops typically charge (especially if you bring your KJ back to them for an alignment post-lift) it's totally worth having it done for you.

On the rear, the key to making short work of the spring/shock install is to put the Jeep on jack stands under the 'frame' rails then use a floor jack to jack up the opposite side you're working on (after removing the shocks.) Then just put your foot on the hub, push down and the old spring falls out. Drill out the spring perch for the hockey puck bumpstops, slide in the new spring while pushing down on the axle, install the hockey pucks, then switch to the to other side. Bolt up the shocks and you're done.

Thanks for posting your install summary - will give others confidence that they can do the job at home too :waytogo:

Bob

Andyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought the OME 1.5" springs (927 / 948) and shocks and UCA's from JBA a few months ago, along with some Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's in 245/75-R16, and finally got around to installing them the couple of days.

I live in CT, and with the new liquid calcium chloride they salt the state roads here with, there is a decent amount of rust on anything the factory didnt paint over (note to self, replace brake hoses before winter as the ends are rusting away to nothing). Being nervous about breaking a bolt, I sprayed everything with PB blaster several times over the last 2 weeks. Even with that, there were a couple nuts that the impact gun had to sit on for 15-20 seconds before anything would start to move.

From start to finish (tires off to tires on), it took me 6 hrs to do the fronts (4 for the drivers side, 2 for the passenger), including using a spring compressor to assemble the struts. (Next time, I will buy new top plates, and isolators so I can have a shop do it with a press.) The rears took me about 2 hours, again having to use the compressor to get the springs between the axle and body.

Prior to starting I was a 18 1/2" (-1") front and rear. With the new springs I am now sitting at 23" in front (+3 1/2) and 22" (+2 1/2) in the rear, which goes a long way in leveling the Jeep out.

The alignment after the lift was so bad (positive camber, toe-in), that I could smell the rubber burning after a 2 mile test drive. I had a local shop do the alignment, and mount the 5 new tires yesterday afternoon, and aside from having to torch my tie-rods they were able to get everything into spec (and the rear glass still clears the spare - by 1/8").

I drove 30 miles into work this morning, half surface roads, half interstate, and it rides beautifully. There is a bit of noise coming from the front left when going over bumps, but im cautiously optimistic that its something I either never paid attention to before, or that it will dissipate as everything settles in.

Make sure you got the front shock top nuts tightened to torque spec. Mine was making a clanging noise when I would hit a bump. I pulled the shock/spring back out and sure enough I had both sides too loose. Also make sure you torqued everything to spec with the full weight of the Jeep on the ground.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I bought the OME 1.5" springs (927 / 948) and shocks and UCA's from JBA a few months ago, along with some Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's in 245/75-R16, and finally got around to installing them over the last couple of days.

So you added a top plate and clevis lift as well ?
Hopefully it will settle some right away since 23 is going to give you some issues in the long run

80Flareside

Reaction score
So you added a top plate and clevis lift as well ?
Hopefully it will settle some right away since 23 is going to give you some issues in the long run

Nope. Thats just springs. I will measure again when I get home and see where its at after 60 miles of driving.

80Flareside

Reaction score
Make sure you got the front shock top nuts tightened to torque spec. Mine was making a clanging noise when I would hit a bump. I pulled the shock/spring back out and sure enough I had both sides too loose. Also make sure you torqued everything to spec with the full weight of the Jeep on the ground.

The one thing I didnt put the torque wrench on was the nut on top of the strut only because I dont have an 11/16 crows foot. I got it as tight as I could with the box wrench, but if it keeps making noise I will pull them out and check.

Andyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The one thing I didnt put the torque wrench on was the nut on top of the strut only because I dont have an 11/16 crows foot. I got it as tight as I could with the box wrench, but if it keeps making noise I will pull them out and check.

Probably just started spinning the piston shaft when it got somewhat tight, Im pretty sure that was my issue as well. Don't wait too long to check that.

80Flareside

Reaction score
The piston shafts on the ome shock took a 1/4" open end wrench, so I was able to turn the nut against that, but im not sure I could get enough torque against that little wrench.

On another note, my front measure was 22" when I got home tonight, so I've settled and inch already.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
The piston shafts on the ome shock took a 1/4" open end wrench, so I was able to turn the nut against that, but im not sure I could get enough torque against that little wrench.

On another note, my front measure was 22" when I got home tonight, so I've settled and inch already.

Thats why we always suggest doing a alignment right away and then within the next 2-3 weeks no longer than a month.
With nothing except the springs you will be in the 21.50-21.75 when fully settled in

80Flareside

Reaction score
Thats why we always suggest doing a alignment right away and then within the next 2-3 weeks no longer than a month.
With nothing except the springs you will be in the 21.50-21.75 when fully settled in

Duly noted. That also means I will need new inner and outer tie rods. The alignment shop pretty much promised they were a one shot deal due to corrosion.

80Flareside

Reaction score
Very nice! I hope to see you at some NE trail rides then!

Id love to. I have land we go camping on in Southern VT every-other weekend or so and just ordered the VT Gazetteer to start exploring some of the Class IV roads in Windham County. Future plans include tow hooks, full skids and a TrueTrac in the rear, so nothing too crazy until then.

80Flareside

Reaction score
Pictures

As requested, along with the wife's WK sitting on an OME 2" lift with JBA UCA''s and 255/75-R17 MT Baja STZ's

Attachments

• 20160622_185230.jpg
    20160622_185230.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 91
  • 20160622_185244.jpg
    20160622_185244.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 72
  • 20160622_185253.jpg
    20160622_185253.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 63
  • 20160622_185310.jpg
    20160622_185310.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 68

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh BTW I have a smokin deal on a JBA transmission skid currently in the for sale section ;)

80Flareside

Reaction score
Took the coil-overs out this past Saturday, and brought them to a shop and had them tightened up, all noises are gone.

On another note, today is my daughter's 4th b-day, and here is what my parents and in-laws helped us get for her.....

Attachments

• 20160704_183452.jpg
    20160704_183452.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 28

Latest posts

Members online