Oil Changes - I know this is a stupid thing to say

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RedJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have always done regular oil changes every 3,000 to 5,000 miles on all the vehicles I've owned. With that said...

The Libby goes through about a quart every 1,000 to 1,500 miles. So at the 5,000 mile mark I've replaced 3 to 5 quarts of oil. So wouldn't oil changes in vehicles that are using oil be okay farther spaced apart?

I know. NO. The crap in the pan needs to be removed, but in theory...

And on a different topic regarding oil "usage" where is mine going? It's not leaking and I sure can't see any blue smoke behind me. It has to be burning up somewhere. I picked up this Jeep a few months ago with 111,000 miles. Is this rate of burn typical at this stage? The last ride I had that used oil was a 1974 Fury. I suppose it could have been using about this much for a long time. Just wondering.

Dan

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Not typical
Mine has almost 169.000 and doesn't use a drop between oil changes
Buddy's 03 has 199.000 and uses about 1/2 quart every 2800-3000 miles

RedJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every change the PCV valve?

Interesting that you asked that. I was just poking around and saw a few suggestions to do that. I haven't changed it. I just went out and took a look and see that for the 2004 it's right at the oil fill cap - very easy to get to. I don't see any leakage around it though - would I notice oil leakage at the PCV valve?

Thanks,
Dan

RedJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just found online a new PCV valve for the '04 for $6.99 with free shipping. Went ahead and ordered it. Who knows when this one was changed if it ever was.

Dan

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I change my pcv valve once a year with my first spring oil change. I know that might be **** but they are cheap at NAPA also around $6.99 for the last one. Mine doesn't burn any oil.

Dave

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine might get about 1/2-1 qt low after 5K miles. I do my changes every 5K miles anyway, so I just keep an eye on it until I'm ready to change it.

I'm not sure about the 3.7, but we had a Chrysler 3.8 that would drink oil like crazy. It would go through 1qt every 800-1000 miles. Dealer never could fix it, and in trying to, made it worse until they finally replaced the motor. From what I've heard, sometimes a more aggressive cross-hatching causes a slight increase in oil consumption compared to a comparable motor. That is not a bad problem, just means you'll go through a little more oil.

If this is a sudden change compared to how the motor used to be, I'd keep an eye on the oil and coolant for awhile, and I'd change the PCV valve as recommended. You can also pull your plugs to see if there's any visible indication of oil buildup (oily, black sooty plugs, versus a normal gray/light brown plug with no buildup). Otherwise, I'd just keep a spare quart in the Jeep, and drive it.

Last edited:

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a ford 5.4L that from around 100k would loose
or burn 1 qt every 1k miles
This was in an '02
My current '09 has 105k and not a drop
Another guy has 1 of the old '02's ,not mine
He has 189k and loose about a qt every 3k or so
I say it is all dependant on the engine

RedJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I'll share my results when the valve gets here and I put it in.

Dan