Odd squeaking sound, maybe a U-Joint.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've noticed recently that my Jeep is starting to make an odd squeaking sound that appears to be coming from the right rear wheel area. It is only audible under 30MPH. I am thinking maybe a u-joint but is there anything else I should check too.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does it disappear when you apply brakes? I've been having squeak on the front wheels that I can hear when going slow, but it is there when going faster as well, just I can't hear it from the engine. When I apply brakes it quiets down, when I let go it comes back.

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No it's not your typical brake squeak. It's a deeper clunkier sound. However, your problem be a wear indicator that I have heard some, if not all, brake pads have built into them. I believe it's designed to drag slightly on the rotors until you hit the brakes.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
No it's not your typical brake squeak. It's a deeper clunkier sound. However, your problem be a wear indicator that I have heard some, if not all, brake pads have built into them. I believe it's designed to drag slightly on the rotors until you hit the brakes.

Really odd. So when it wears it would drag on the rotors.. I will be rotating tires this weekend, I will be able to see the brakes.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good luck with your problem.. Regarding mine, even with the grinding (if it is, because it has been squeaking for a long while, almost a year) it still stops OK.

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey I was wondering if this sound could be attributed to my rear brake pads. I just noticed that they need to be replaced. On a slightly different note I have never changed the brake pads on a rear axle, and it's been years since I done front brakes. Can some one give me a quick run down on swapping out the rear brake pads.

Powers978

Reaction score
Sometimes with the cheaper OEM brake pads and rotors after awhile a lip can form of rust/debris. It happened to my liberty on the front passenger side brake. I took the rotor off (my pads and rotors still have a good amount of life on them) and took a grinder and just grinded that rusty lip off. I would definitely suggest taking off your tire at the very least and inspecting the rotor for this lip of crap.

dano4003

Reaction score
Rear pinion bearing???

OK, i have an 04 Liberty with 154K miles on it. I have a whine while driving anything over say 5 - 10 mph. I just had both rear axle bearing/seals replace, the right rear was leaking. So the brakes, e-brake and the gear fluids were changed. What I though would go away with all this work, did not. I took it back to the garage that did all this work, and they took the drive shaft off and state that they can hear what sounds like a rear pinion bearing going? Now my questions:

1. Is there any way to tell for sure if the bearing is going?

2. I have been hearing this sound for about 2 weeks, If this is the pinion bearing, will it explode while I am driving? I drive 110 miles a day for work. It would really suck if this happens.

:sad72:

Doug B

Reaction score
I also have a grinding type noise coming from somewhere lower than the roof - I replaced all 4 dampers, all the bushes/rubbers that the dealer could find, and it's still there - and I've just had my brakes done, and the noise is still there. Doesn't affect handling, braking or anything - just annoying. 2005 Renegade CRD with 139,000 km.

hispeedlodrag

Reaction score
hyde, were you able to determine what the squeaking you discribed was from? I have a 2008 Liberty that's doing the exact same thing and it's driving me nuts!!!
Thanks!

ciancca

Reaction score
tire noise

Does it disappear when you apply brakes? I've been having squeak on the front wheels that I can hear when going slow, but it is there when going faster as well, just I can't hear it from the engine. When I apply brakes it quiets down, when I let go it comes back.

I visited this forum about a month ago with a similar problem....losts of wheel noise when coasting but disagpeared when brakes or put foot on the gas. One of the suggestions was to check my lug nuts. four of the five lug nuts on the drivers side rear tire were so loose I turned them by hand!! Tightened them up...noise gone. Try this, it saved me from a possible serious situation!!
Cecilia

Vin

Reaction score
Has anyone checked the ball joints I had a conversation earlier about same noise. When the lower ball joints start to go they make noise that is hard locate it will drive you crazy. That and there's a factory recall in 02- 08 Libertys. Bad ball joints that required immediate replacement. There cheaper to replace then the damage caused from failure.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Has anyone checked the ball joints I had a conversation earlier about same noise. When the lower ball joints start to go they make noise that is hard locate it will drive you crazy. That and there's a factory recall in 02- 08 Libertys. Bad ball joints that required immediate replacement. There cheaper to replace then the damage caused from failure.
Most of the folks posting on this are no longer on here
The lower ball joints you can clearly tell the noise is coming from the front
only use Moog greaseable ones to replace

Vin

Reaction score
I just basically wanted to add a note for info to keep in mind. I've changed suspension parts on many vehicles for 40 years. Our Liberty had noise unrecognizable and hard to figure where it was?And we recently had lower one that failed in the middle of the road shifting into drive causing to pull CV Axle out of transfer case pushing wheel into upper wheel well causing
serious damage to liner ,inner fender,corner lights. Preventable matenance that can save a your safety,money, and time.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I've swapped out 25-27 sets of LBJs on KJs , customers saying they could not find a noise
upon driving 50-75 foot it was clear where it was from, definite sound they make
I've had 3 that fell apart in my hand when removing the spindle LOL
Vin, sounds like you've been around for a while
I started doing suspension / brake work in 1972, back when things were simpler but customers just the same then and now ; )

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I just basically wanted to add a note for info to keep in mind. I've changed suspension parts on many vehicles for 40 years. Our Liberty had noise unrecognizable and hard to figure where it was?And we recently had lower one that failed in the middle of the road shifting into drive causing to pull CV Axle out of transfer case pushing wheel into upper wheel well causing
serious damage to liner ,inner fender,corner lights. Preventable matenance that can save a your safety,money, and time.
I would say that the CV pulled out of the front differential, not the transfer case . If the front driveshaft pulled out of the transfer case you have serious issues

Latest posts

Members online