O/D on or off???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought the converter locking up was to actually keep the transmission from heating up due to the slippage the transmission allows before the lockup. (Aeh)

indieaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thecause17 said:
I thought the converter locking up was to actually keep the transmission from heating up due to the slippage the transmission allows before the lockup. (Aeh)

You're right - reverse my post where i said converter locking up warms transmission - i meant converter not locking up. Still, the act of the conver locking/unlocking does little. Why would you not want to drop yoru RPMs as much as possible and save fuel?

2003KJ

Reaction score
indieaz said:
Why would you not want to drop yoru RPMs as much as possible and save fuel?

This is right and wrong. Yes, lower rpm's will help retain a decent MPG, but too low of an rpm will give the same effect of too high an rpm. The key is to find the optimum power band and stay with in there.

indieaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003KJ said:
indieaz said:

This is right and wrong. Yes, lower rpm's will help retain a decent MPG, but too low of an rpm will give the same effect of too high an rpm. The key is to find the optimum power band and stay with in there.

Depending on throttle position - yes. However, i doubt you are going ot get better gas mileage in 3rd gear at 45-50mph than you will in overdrive. Unless you were going up hill...in which case the pcm would probably kick it down to 3rd anyways.

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003KJ said:
indieaz said:

I agree with you on that, my last truck (Ranger) would average only around 16mpg almost no matter what, city driving, 65+ highway driving....but if I went on a trip that I saw an average speed of 50-55mph, I got as high as 22mpg...

glaurick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your in stop and go traiffic most times it's 10-30MPH where the OD doesn't even begin to operate. the only danger to a trans is the OD Locking and unlocking rapidly(mostly happens when towing hevery loads through hills), if it is doing it once every 2-3 minutes in moderate speeds it isn't going to hurt anything, and just incase your not sure you have a little light that will come on to tell you your Trans is to hot. But hey people have there own beliefs that they get from Uncle Bob who works for whoever. All I know is I've had 2 vehicles over the 100K mark and never once turned O/D off in them in Traffic or not and have had no issues.
The Maintenance Schedule if followed which it isn't on 95% of vehicles does wonders to save problems.
But hey, it's your gas money, like they said on MythBusters, if you don't believe us we don't care, it's your car, and your gas money drive it and waste it how you want. I just couldn't see why someone would turn OD off with an unloaded vehicle, it makes no good sense or point

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
glaurick Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:04 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If your in stop and go traiffic most times it's 10-30MPH where the OD doesn't even begin to operate. the only danger to a trans is the OD Locking and unlocking rapidly(mostly happens when towing hevery loads through hills), if it is doing it once every 2-3 minutes in moderate speeds it isn't going to hurt anything, and just incase your not sure you have a little light that will come on to tell you your Trans is to hot. But hey people have there own beliefs that they get from Uncle Bob who works for whoever. All I know is I've had 2 vehicles over the 100K mark and never once turned O/D off in them in Traffic or not and have had no issues.
The Maintenance Schedule if followed which it isn't on 95% of vehicles does wonders to save problems.
But hey, it's your gas money, like they said on MythBusters, if you don't believe us we don't care, it's your car, and your gas money drive it and waste it how you want. I just couldn't see why someone would turn OD off with an unloaded vehicle, it makes no good sense or point
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Jeger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
glaurick said:

I will agree with that for the most part. I have never locked out OD unless I was towing, or just messing around. And I have had 3 or 4 cars go over 200K on the same ******, and Im not good about ****** service either.

BUT I dont think you should rely on the little light to tell you if you ****** is too hot. By the time that light comes on you may already be doing damage. Thats why people call them idiot lights.