NV247. Has anyone done it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

neald

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Iam new to the site and also a proud new owner of a 2003 Freedom Edition. I has the 231 TC in it now but I'm not a ********* wheeler by any means. This is my daily driver and I live in the upper east where snow season is pretty nasty at times. Lol. I have a NV247 from a 2000 Cherokee that I picked up for another project that has now changed direction. Is it possible to put this into my 03 Libby?

Kj/toy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. Iam new to the site and also a proud new owner of a 2003 Freedom Edition. I has the 231 TC in it now but I'm not a ********* wheeler by any means. This is my daily driver and I live in the upper east where snow season is pretty nasty at times. Lol. I have a NV247 from a 2000 Cherokee that I picked up for another project that has now changed direction. Is it possible to put this into my 03 Libby?

There are a few members on here that have put the rocktrac T/C(241OR)in a Liberty. That involves some modifications ,another member put an Atlas T/C in that also required modifications. I don't how a terraflex 4:1( for the 231J )would work in mud and sand. I am also interested in upgrading my T/C.

neald

Reaction score
The atlas is pretty universal though, will go into almost anything. I'm lookin to see if anyone has done the 247 as a daily driver. Mostly in worried out possible different dimensions, driveshaft incompatibility, and least important shift light indicator.

neald

Reaction score
I have an nv 242, but its for another another build. And yes, I do want a "AWD" type trans case for this one. Most cases, I've heard the bad thing about the 247 were about operator error, poor maintenance and wrong fluid. Hopefully I didn't jinx myself now. Lol

Last edited:

neald

Reaction score
I would if this was a trial rig but it is a daily driver. The other night I hit some sleet on the way back home from picking up a 242(for another project) and hit some fine sleet. Temp just around 32*. I was fishtailing left and right, almost killed myself. Felt like doo doo cuz I have a jeep with 2 day old Cooper AT 3's and everyone else was tryin to push me out of the way to get by me. I only had it in 2wd but I didn't want to pull over just to put it in 4x. I think the 247 would have came in handy that night.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I would if this was a trial rig but it is a daily driver. The other night I hit some sleet on the way back home from picking up a 242(for another project) and hit some fine sleet. Temp just around 32*. I was fishtailing left and right, almost killed myself. Felt like doo doo cuz I have a jeep with 2 day old Cooper AT 3's and everyone else was tryin to push me out of the way to get by me. I only had it in 2wd but I didn't want to pull over just to put it in 4x. I think the 247 would have came in handy that night.

:shrug:
I have the Command Trac and shift on the fly when needed
Of course good tires go farther almost than a transfer case I hardly ever use 4 WD on highways
Glad I don't have the select trac myself

Last edited:

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would a terra low 4:1 work for you? I would like to see a write up on a 241OR swap.
The terra low hasnt had very good reviews, especially in the heavier rigs. Over rev them and they blow up. The 231 vs np241 cases are different. The 241 is a much stronger case by design

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
May I ask why? Just curious.

Not sure Tom's reason but I am glad I have Command-Trac too, I am more than proficient in 2HI, More wear on the tires and drive train, More fuel being used, I use 4WD when road conditions are abysmal or I am off road, Even off road I like to keep her in 2HI until I need 4WD just to see how much I can do in 2HI.

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah, ok, I thought it might be something like that. That's what I saw when I was researching the Liberty as well. Personally I leave mine in 2WD, unless off road and then I use 2HI or 2LO. I've only used 4FULL when traction is iffy (wet roads, snow, ice), and use 4HI or 4LO if offroad. It wasn't exactly a deal breaker for me when I was shopping to find a Jeep without the full time option, but I considered it something I'd like to have.

Wasn't sure if there was a mechanical reason for not wanting the NV242 that I should be aware of. :)

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even off road I like to keep her in 2HI until I need 4WD just to see how much I can do in 2HI.

I had the same mentality until I got hung up on ONE thing in a puddle (the last one of the day, I might add). Popped it into 4WD and she wouldn't budge. Had to get winched. :thumbsdown:

Kj/toy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The terra low hasnt had very good reviews, especially in the heavier rigs. Over rev them and they blow up. The 231 vs np241 cases are different. The 241 is a much stronger case by design

Uh,oh. I guess I'll find out how tough it is(Terra-low). I have one sitting in the garage.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah, ok, I thought it might be something like that. That's what I saw when I was researching the Liberty as well. Personally I leave mine in 2WD, unless off road and then I use 2HI or 2LO. I've only used 4FULL when traction is iffy (wet roads, snow, ice), and use 4HI or 4LO if offroad. It wasn't exactly a deal breaker for me when I was shopping to find a Jeep without the full time option, but I considered it something I'd like to have.

Wasn't sure if there was a mechanical reason for not wanting the NV242 that I should be aware of. :)
The 242 select trac also is a "indirect" shift t-case,meaning that shift lever,linkage,and shift rod are not physically shifting that t-case.It just moves stuff around for check balls and springs to shift it,very picky about actually shifting if the tires are mis-matched(even tread depth mis-matched) or uneven tire pressure.Common issue on higher mileage 242's to never shift out of full time.

neald

Reaction score
Never said I was scared of snow. But anyone who says they ain't afraid of crashing and dying are full of shit. Driving in the snow and ice for the work commute is not a bravery contest to see how dangerous you can get without crashing. Like I said, its a daily driver. Its MAIN duty is taking me and my family to where we need to go safely. Iam aware of atlas cases and most other transfer cases and their functions, but the main subject here is the full time transfer case. NV 247. I'll even entertain the thought of the 242. I was saving it for another build but I may cave and throw that in.

neald

Reaction score
:shrug:
I have the Command Trac and shift on the fly when needed
Of course good tires go farther almost than a transfer case I hardly ever use 4 WD on highways
Glad I don't have the select trac myself

I dont think the command trac is meant to be shift on the fly, I thought the selec trac was. Plus isn't the selec trac basically a selec trac with an extra full time 4x4 option?