noise when wheels spin in gravel or snow????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepKj03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea TBJ would be correct. It's the hydraulic pump turning on supplying fluid pressure to the break lines. You would also notice this when the ABS system kicks on during a skid.

R

RoyalDudeness

From what dude reads; it all works through your abs pump- you just don't feel it at the brake pedal because your foot is not on it at that time. That ESP applies the brake(s) to the spinning wheel(s) and also backs off your throttle when and if needed.

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
glad to know exactly what the noise is. didnt figure it was anything to worry over but it does sound like metal rubbing rather than brakes being applied.

JeepKj03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well you only hear it when the breaks need it. In fact most people don’t know this but the ABS pump turns on for a few seconds once the car starts to test the system out for a ready status.

max pain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only for the '07 KJ and '08+ KK's since they run the "throttle by wire" while the '06 KJ still has a throttle cable that the PCM can not control(can effect timeing and fuel but not throttle input).

It behaves the same, i have the throttle cable, but the ESP still shuts the acceleration immediately if wheels start to spin.

Pain in the ass....

Last edited:

moparman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It behaves the same, i have the throttle cable, but the ESP still shuts the acceleration immediately if wheels start to spin.

Pain in the ass....

X2 It also happens when I get the "live axle hop" going around turns on washboard roads. Sometimes it takes away throttle when you need it the most, so I will turn the ESP off if I anticipate that. I wonder how many times it gets reported as a driveability problem to a clueless service advisor.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ESP and traction control are two different things. Far as I know pushing that little button only reduced traction control and turns ESP off.

Traction control is a major PITA while ESP is very useful. Ive had our WK in the snow before on a hill and had it to the floor and the hemi was running 2.5k rpms. Very annoying.

max pain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ESP and traction control are two different things. Far as I know pushing that little button only reduced traction control and turns ESP off.

Traction control is a major PITA while ESP is very useful. Ive had our WK in the snow before on a hill and had it to the floor and the hemi was running 2.5k rpms. Very annoying.

I think it's the other way round. When i turn the ESP off, i can rev the engine anyway i want, i can even spin the wheels without moving for as long as i want.
Now if i don't turn it off, the ECM shuts the gas in i can do nothing.
The traction control is good, feels like a limited slip a bit.

moparman

Full Access Member
Reaction score

It is my feeling that the switch turns off the traction control and reduces the ESP. When I was playing in the snow, I was still getting the ESP braking action when I got way sideways in 4WD high. 4WD low seems to turn it all of the way off but I am not 100% sure. Also I have driven a couple of cars with traction control in snow and sometimes you just have to turn the traction control off to get anywhere.

max pain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think we are clear what actually does what.
Does ESP apply brakes or traction control?
Which one shuts the gas?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think we are clear what actually does what.
Does ESP apply brakes or traction control?
Which one shuts the gas?

Both apply brakes and as far as I know both can reduce the engine speed. They just have different uses. One keeps wheels from spinning and one keeps the jeep from sliding sideways.

All I know about whats turned off, etc, is what Ive read in the owners manual. Went offroading with someone that had it in 4low and had that button pushed and you better bet traction control was still working. Traction control should never be 100% off unless you pull the fuse.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
I tried to have some fun with the rental KK last night ... Booooo!

pushed every button I could find :D ... she still cut the throttle and applied brakes and spoiled all of my fun.