noise when wheels spin in gravel or snow????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boiler

Reaction score
Can someone elaborate on how traction control and ESP work? Who has these systems?

I have an '05, don't have antilock brakes, didn't think I had ESP :rolleyes: and never even thought about having a "traction control" system. Pretty sure last year when I spun my tires nothing unexpected happened.

This year, if I break a tire loose on ice while accelerating, I get a popping/grinding sound that seems to be coming from the driveline. I can feel it in the transmission shifter. It doesn't seem to happen in 4hi, but I don't really seem to lose traction either. It doesn't sound like grinding gears, It is more like a rapid popping, almost like a ratcheting. And it vibrates throught the driveline.

I saw this thread and thought "oo, I need to read this", but when you started talking about systems kicking on I don't think thats what I'm seeing. It will keep popping if I keep giving it gas I think. Basically it is just making me do anything possible not to lose traction (read: barely touch the skinny pedal).

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can someone elaborate on how traction control and ESP work? Who has these systems?

I have an '05, don't have antilock brakes, didn't think I had ESP :rolleyes: and never even thought about having a "traction control" system. Pretty sure last year when I spun my tires nothing unexpected happened.

This year, if I break a tire loose on ice while accelerating, I get a popping/grinding sound that seems to be coming from the driveline. I can feel it in the transmission shifter. It doesn't seem to happen in 4hi, but I don't really seem to lose traction either. It doesn't sound like grinding gears, It is more like a rapid popping, almost like a ratcheting. And it vibrates throught the driveline.

I saw this thread and thought "oo, I need to read this", but when you started talking about systems kicking on I don't think thats what I'm seeing. It will keep popping if I keep giving it gas I think. Basically it is just making me do anything possible not to lose traction (read: barely touch the skinny pedal).
No ABS = no ESP(the devil) and traction control.

Check your driveshafts.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.