Noise after lift...What next?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mx3_ryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just replaced my drivers side cv axle thinking it would fix my noise but no such luck. It needed to be replaced anyways cause both boots were bad so what the heck. Still chasing this noise though. I'm getting a clicking snapping noise and some rough binding from what sounds like the drivers side in 4X4 under load. I still hear a bit of noise in 2X4 which then just sounds more like a roaring flat tire. Any suggestions, should I pick up an intermediate shaft and pass side cv axle an try that? Is it possible my front diff is shot. Again, it didn;t make this noise or have an roughness in 4X4 at stock height.

mx3_ryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you checked out your front drive shaft?

I just rebuilt the transfer case end of the front drive shaft but not the opposite end. Lifting the Jeep wouldn't have changed anything on the front drive shaft though correct?

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just rebuilt the transfer case end of the front drive shaft but not the opposite end. Lifting the Jeep wouldn't have changed anything on the front drive shaft though correct?

That's correct - lifting doesn't change any angles between the T-case and the front diff.

Seems your idea about the intermediate shaft is correct. When lifted there is more stress on the end of the intermediate shaft and the female end of the passenger CV axle. If it was beginning to wear before then it is only accentuated with the lift. CactusJacked has a great pic of his old worn intermediate shaft and the new one he installed. Amazing the old one even turned the front CV :emotions34:

Bob

mx3_ryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's correct - lifting doesn't change any angles between the T-case and the front diff.

Seems your idea about the intermediate shaft is correct. When lifted there is more stress on the end of the intermediate shaft and the female end of the passenger CV axle. If it was beginning to wear before then it is only accentuated with the lift. CactusJacked has a great pic of his old worn intermediate shaft and the new one he installed. Amazing the old one even turned the front CV :emotions34:

Bob

Is it possible a bad intermediate shaft would be more audible on the drivers side cv axle right up near the inner boot and not heard so much on the passenger side? Its more like a loud metallic snapping rather then clicking.

Last edited:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it possible a bad intermediate shaft would make a ton of noise on the drivers side cv axle right up near the inner boot? Its more like a loud metallic snapping rather then clicking.

The sound from the intermediate shaft is usually more like a "roar" that changes with wheel speed. But if the splines on the int shaft are slipping inside the passenger CV I can imagine the clicking that would result from the slipping shaft would transmit to the driver's side of the differential.

Trying to find the source of noises is a lot like trying to find the source of a water leak. It doesn't often follow logic :mad3:

Bob

mx3_ryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just went and took a peek at the pass side cv shaft and looks to be hanging down some where it goes into the intermediate shaft.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just went and took a peek at the pass side cv shaft and looks to be hanging down some where it goes into the intermediate shaft.

Which is what mine looked like. I could also push the inner hub up and down a good bit, as it was rocking on the rounded end of the shaft. The splines were still grabbing, but it was working like how a wobble socket extension works. This is my old & new shaft.

You must be registered for see images attach

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I maybe a wheel bearing, does the sound get louder on the highway? If it does I would look into the wheel bearing, on our jeeps the bearing is part of the hub assembly.

mx3_ryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So it seems my drivers side CV shaft is just not happy at 3 inches of lift. Put it on the lift today and while it was violently binding we jacked up the lower control arm a little and noise went away. When its binding it rocks the whole front differential side to side. Does this mean I need to lower the front back down or what? ******* me off!!

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
So it seems my drivers side CV shaft is just not happy at 3 inches of lift. Put it on the lift today and while it was violently binding we jacked up the lower control arm a little and noise went away. When its binding it rocks the whole front differential side to side. Does this mean I need to lower the front back down or what? ******* me off!!

3 inches of lift is not that much , I'm running over 4 inches on my 04 , no issues
It could of possibly been worn out before and you just didn't notice it, now at a different angle its making noise
NOW not understanding the violently binding , was it on the ground or were you running it in 4 wheel drive with the wheels off the ground?

mx3_ryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was running it in 4X4 off the ground last night at the shop to test where the noise was coming from. I replaced the shaft already with a napa one and is still making the same noise the original one was. It makes the noise in only in 4X4 and is a binding snapping noise that rocks the whole front end side to side that is very obviously coming out of the shaft and nothing else. I should have taken a video I guess. The noise seemed to lessen when jacking under the lower control arm.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I was running it in 4X4 off the ground last night at the shop to test where the noise was coming from. I replaced the shaft already with a napa one and is still making the same noise the original one was. It makes the noise in only in 4X4 and is a binding snapping noise that rocks the whole front end side to side that is very obviously coming out of the shaft and nothing else. I should have taken a video I guess. The noise seemed to lessen when jacking under the lower control arm.

So yes running it with the front suspension hanging down will produce some strange noises, you're putting the CVs at a real bind . Off road you'd only have maybe one wheel hanging for a bit . So whatever is wrong you have just intensified it by 100.
Was the intermediate shaft OK when you replaced the right side CV??

mx3_ryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't replaced the right side yet or intermediate shaft. Yesterday on the lift the pass side tire wasn't turning at idle in 4X4 and the drivers side was making all the noise so we just figured there's nothing wrong with the pass side. Is it possible that the drivers side cv shaft doesn't make noise when on the ground and its actually the intermediate shaft making all this noise? There is just no way to tell if the intermediate shaft is bad unless I pull it out? The noise I hear on the lift is a little different then the noise I get in 4X4 driving down the road, but just figured it must be what it is since its what makes noise when on the lift. Not sure where to look now that you say letting the cv's hang with wheels turning on the lift will cause noise.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I haven't replaced the right side yet or intermediate shaft. Yesterday on the lift the pass side tire wasn't turning at idle in 4X4 and the drivers side was making all the noise so we just figured there's nothing wrong with the pass side. Is it possible that the drivers side cv shaft doesn't make noise when on the ground and its actually the intermediate shaft making all this noise? There is just no way to tell if the intermediate shaft is bad unless I pull it out? The noise I hear on the lift is a little different then the noise I get in 4X4 driving down the road, but just figured it must be what it is since its what makes noise when on the lift. Not sure where to look now that you say letting the cv's hang with wheels turning on the lift will cause noise.

Put a jack stand under each front LCA and the rear diff then run it

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not pull the passenger cv/intermediate shaft out, stuff a rag in the axle housing, and go for a drive? No sense in throwing parts at it until you know exactly what IT is.

Sent from my Motorola 2950 Special Edition 3w.

mx3_ryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put my jeep on a lift again under the LCA's this weekend to locate noise and still all my noise is on the drivers side cv axle. Every full rotation I get one loud pop. If it were my cv shaft would it pop or click more every full rotation and wouldn't it click in 2wd some? I had the same noise now with 2 cv axles. The noise is coming out of the front diff and traveling down the left shaft. Next is drain the fluid and check for metal in the front. There is no noise on the right side, all coming from left side and only in 4wd. I hear no noise and feel no binding when rotating by hand.

Last edited: