Night Driving issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaxom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to admit, I'm not that great driving at night. Now that I'm getting older and just had to get glasses (bifocals to boot!) for the first time in my life. Normally I'd get Sylvania SilverStars. Now I see they've got UltraStars as well. What I'd like to know is are they like those blue colored HID lights or not? I don't like those, and for $45 for a set of 2, don't wanna waste the cash.

Also, I can't remember where I've seen them, but I know they make led replacement bulbs for the brake, and turn signals. Can't seem to find them at local parts stores. Past experience says don't buy from J.C. Whitney either. Suggestions?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Phillips have the best bulbs I have found
I trashed the Silverstars a long time ago

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HID can now be had in several shades, instead of the original blue. HID requires an additional wiring box, but if you need more light now that your eyes are older, if you try HID you'll never go back to traditional bulbs.

Bob

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hate those HIDs in anything they didn't come stock in
terrible light everywhere

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I run Piaa bulbs for main headlights. What really helps is fog lights turned on as well !
Jaxom, do you have fog lights on your KJ, what year is your ride?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I run Piaa bulbs for main headlights. What really helps is fog lights turned on as well !
Jaxom, do you have fog lights on your KJ, what year is your ride?

Are yours that blueish looking though?
All PIAAs I have seen have that blue cast which doesn't help any

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HID can now be had in several shades, instead of the original blue. HID requires an additional wiring box, but if you need more light now that your eyes are older, if you try HID you'll never go back to traditional bulbs.

Bob

Putting aftermarket HID's in a Halogen Bowl unit is illegal in pretty much all 50 states. I had a customer who proceeded to try and ''school me'' on the DOT Certified ''label'' that his kit had. I told him, you'll get pulled over because the units aren't designed for HID's and its the equivalent of driving with your brights on all the time. He went to Ohio, and got ticketed for it.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't know (or particularly give a ****) about the legalities. Do know I like my HIDs in aftermarket lens assemblies on my Silverado.

I've paid 3 tickets because I refuse to have the darker than allowed tint removed from my side/back windows. Just think of those fines as "special privilege" taxes to the state.

Bob

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't know (or particularly give a ****) about the legalities. Do know I like my HIDs in aftermarket lens assemblies on my Silverado.

I've paid 3 tickets because I refuse to have the darker than allowed tint removed from my side/back windows. Just think of those fines as "special privilege" taxes to the state.

Bob
Theres nothing wrong with HID bulbs in a proper housing......

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Bob

If you've done a proper retrofit that's one thing, as in proper ballasts, HID projector lenses, shields and bulbs. That doesn't bother me, because it's being done properly with respect to other motorists. Jamming them into a unit not designed for them is illegal and can be dangerous. Because there are Halogen projector headlamps and actual HID projector headlamps, and they're not interchangeable. Window Tint vs. HID's: Apples to Oranges since Window Tint won't blind an oncoming driver in the opposite lane at night.

Jaxom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
KJ we own is an '04. It does have fog lights, but they don't seem to help any. These are the times I miss my '02 Renegade. While I never drove on the street with the light bar on, I did put fogs on front bull bars. Kept it all legal at max 55 watts. Actually gave them a slight downward tilt and just a hair to left and right respectively so as to highlight lane paint. Added the SilverStars and was in heaven.

I just double checked, the '04's used 9145's for fog lights. I was considering using leds, but I'm open to other options. Don't wanna blind anyone, but I do want more light. Didn't hear any comments about swapping all the rear lights out with leds as well. Figure not only do I wanna see, I wanna be seen too!

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jaxom do the fog light mod into F-150 high beams, you wont regret it...
Great Lighting Now! :gr_grin:
Link to read: http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f202/fog-light-mod-65-watt-upgrade-02-04-a-58960/

I am lifted, and I do not get flashed, with the brighter fogs on.
They are adjustable downwards if needed, but I left mine as factory set em.

They're aimed down so it wouldn't be harsh on eyes, that was one thing even I was astonished how low they're aimed even on the 05-07 KJ. Thankfully I was smart enough to do a ''touch test'' to see how they were aimed so when I re-assembled them I could put them back how they were from factory.

Latest posts

Members online