Newbie spring/shock install questions... (brief)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geof3

Reaction score
Newbie spring/shock install questions... (DONE!)

So, technically my second post, and I'm digging right in! Looks to be a great, knowledgeable crowd! Now that I've buttered everyone up, I have a few clarification Q's. I read the FAQ's, did the usual searches and it seems there is a very good amount of conflicting info regarding install, what is needed, what isn't etc. I am asking to clarify a couple of these things... I am doing the OME 926/948 springs with the OME nitrocharger sport shocks.

http://www.arbusa.com/uploads/pdf/newproductadvice/nitrochargersport.pdf

I am also adding an above mount leveling spacer as well to level the truck (unless otherwise advised) So my quick questions:

Front:

1: UBJ- some say this lift can install without removing, some say remove. Yeah or nay?

2: Tie rod, same as above.

3: Front Sway bar, remove?

The rest seems pretty straight forward wrenching.

Rear:

1: Seems the best route from looking at the whole thing is, jack up rear of truck, support with jack stands, remove rear wheels, support center of rear axle with floor jack, remove shocks, lower rear axle until low enough to remove springs, remove said springs, install new springs, raise rear axle with floor jack, install shocks, wheels etc.

Am I missing anything in this process? Seems pretty straight forward, but I am looking for any tips/tricks that I may not be seeing/miss.

2: rear sway bar... remove for all of the above, or not? If removed, consequences of leaving it off VS keeping it on. I have no reason to leave it, if safety and load capacity are not hurt in any way.

I still haven't received all the parts, I am doing a full new install with new iso's etc. Stock UCA's seem tight, though if I get in there and need new ones, I will do what I need to. I have not measured mine yet, but I will, and post both before and after pics as well as measurements. Hopefully everything arrives this week and I can dig in this weekend. Thanks for the help and look forward to lot's of discussion.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
So, technically my second post, and I'm digging right in! Looks to be a great, knowledgeable crowd! Now that I've buttered everyone up, I have a few clarification Q's. I read the FAQ's, did the usual searches and it seems there is a very good amount of conflicting info regarding install, what is needed, what isn't etc. I am asking to clarify a couple of these things... I am doing the OME 926/948 springs with the OME nitrocharger sport shocks.
PERSONALLY WOULD DO THE 927 FRONT SPRINGS, THATS ALL WE INSTALL HERE AND NO COMPLAINTS FROM ANYONE
http://www.arbusa.com/uploads/pdf/newproductadvice/nitrochargersport.pdf

I am also adding an above mount leveling spacer as well to level the truck (unless otherwise advised) So my quick questions:
IF NOT ADDING ANY EXTRA NO NEED FOR THE TOP PLATE SINCE IT WILL BE LEVEL, IF ADDING THE TOP PLATE THEN YOU WILL WANT TO ADD AN EXTRA UPPER ISOLATER ON EACH SIDE IN THE REAR
Front:

1: UBJ- some say this lift can install without removing, some say remove. Yeah or nay?
AS IN REMOVING TO DO THE LIFT, YES MUST REMOVE , EASY TO DO, REMOVE NUT ALL THE WAY SO YOU ARE SURE IT SOMES OFF, THEN REINSTALL TO PROTECT THE THREADS AND HIT IT A COUPLE OF TIME TO KNOCK IT LOOSE
2: Tie rod, same as above.
YES MAKES IT EASIER ALONG WITH SWAY BAR LINK AND INSTALL THE SWAY BAR LINKS BACK AFTER FULL WEIGHT IS ON THE GROUND

3: Front Sway bar, remove?
SEE ABOVE
The rest seems pretty straight forward wrenching.

Rear:

1: Seems the best route from looking at the whole thing is, jack up rear of truck, support with jack stands, remove rear wheels, support center of rear axle with floor jack, remove shocks, lower rear axle until low enough to remove springs, remove said springs, install new springs, raise rear axle with floor jack, install shocks, wheels etc.
YES

Am I missing anything in this process? Seems pretty straight forward, but I am looking for any tips/tricks that I may not be seeing/miss.

2: rear sway bar... remove for all of the above, or not? If removed, consequences of leaving it off VS keeping it on. I have no reason to leave it, if safety and load capacity are not hurt in any way.
YOU CAN REMOVE REAR SWAY BAR AND TOSS IT, DOES NOTHING

I still haven't received all the parts, I am doing a full new install with new iso's etc. Stock UCA's seem tight, though if I get in there and need new ones, I will do what I need to. I have not measured mine yet, but I will, and post both before and after pics as well as measurements. Hopefully everything arrives this week and I can dig in this weekend. Thanks for the help and look forward to lot's of discussion.

EASIER TO ANSWER IN YOUR POST , HOPE IT HELPS
any other questions just ask

Geof3

Reaction score
Tom,

Thanks for that quick reply! I've not had good luck removing and being able to reuse tie-rod ends in the past. (I was hoping I could leave the tie rods in place!) Ball joints not too much issue. What do you recommend for the tie-rods? Pickle forks suck. Just a puller or is there a bang and whack with a BFH version?

Geof3

Reaction score
So, Looks like I am at 18" center hub to outer lower fender line front, an 18.5" rear. Also looks like my LCA/Clevis bushings are toast. Yea! I just LOVE replacing rubber bushings. SO much fun!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Tom,

Thanks for that quick reply! I've not had good luck removing and being able to reuse tie-rod ends in the past. (I was hoping I could leave the tie rods in place!) Ball joints not too much issue. What do you recommend for the tie-rods? Pickle forks suck. Just a puller or is there a bang and whack with a BFH version?

Yeah no pickle forks at all, remove nut, couple of whacks with a hammer and they pop loose

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
So, Looks like I am at 18" center hub to outer lower fender line front, an 18.5" rear. Also looks like my LCA/Clevis bushings are toast. Yea! I just LOVE replacing rubber bushings. SO much fun!

18 inches, heck you're not bad at all, seen them way worse ( sagged more ) than that

Geof3

Reaction score
18 inches, heck you're not bad at all, seen them way worse ( sagged more ) than that

I think this thing has been a grocery runner most if it's life. Certainly doesn't have any real tell-tale signs of "hard" use. Overall , I think I got a good one! And, I've changed my mind on the bushings... not even gonna try. I'll just wait till the LBJ's are shot and redo the whole thing.

Geof3

Reaction score
Got this thing DONE. Overall, no drama. Discovered an aging boot on my rear axle "half shaft" that I will need to keep an eye on, change out eventually/soon. Netted a dead 2.5" all the way around, 20.5 front both sides, 21 rear. 119k on this one.

Didn't take a before, kind of forgot until it was too late... but here is the finished product. VERY happy with it, and the ride feels great. TOTALLY blows away the stock suspension.

Attachments

• IMG_0648.jpg
    IMG_0648.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Excellent work!

Glad you like the outcome - plus having done the work yourself makes it that much more worthwhile.

How did the alignment come out?

Bob

Geof3

Reaction score
Excellent work!

Glad you like the outcome - plus having done the work yourself makes it that much more worthwhile.

How did the alignment come out?

Bob

The alignment went fully into spec with no issues. Overall, a pretty straight forward deal. Finally. I had a 95 4Runner that was nothing but a ***** to do the suspension work. Now, I drink...:gr_grin:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Got this thing DONE. Overall, no drama. Discovered an aging boot on my rear axle "half shaft" that I will need to keep an eye on, change out eventually/soon. Netted a dead 2.5" all the way around, 20.5 front both sides, 21 rear. 119k on this one.

Didn't take a before, kind of forgot until it was too late... but here is the finished product. VERY happy with it, and the ride feels great. TOTALLY blows away the stock suspension.

So 1.5 inches above "new stock" height in front now
Looks better for sure

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
The alignment went fully into spec with no issues. Overall, a pretty straight forward deal. Finally. I had a 95 4Runner that was nothing but a ***** to do the suspension work. Now, I drink...:gr_grin:

KJs are easy to lift, some think they are complicated but they are not
Good work

Geof3

Reaction score
So 1.5 inches above "new stock" height in front now
Looks better for sure

Yeah, it's pretty amazing what a couple of inches can do! (At least that's what she said!) overall very happy at this point with what I have. I think it will suit my needs just dandy! Thanks for your help too, made things easier, even though I went in from the bottom and did the lower control arm drop. I wasn't sure if my clevis mount bushings were shot, so I figured I'd kill two birds, just in case I needed to replace the lowers. Fortunately, they are looking tired, but workable.