NEWB needs tire/wheel fitment help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ryanck93

Reaction score
I've read most of the pages already on here concerning this, and i still don't see a solution to my predicament. I don't understand the math behind this stuff and all the ratios and whatnot. I'm a complete virgin to all of this.

I own a 2003 KJ Liberty Sport v6 3.7L. Stock everything.

I'm looking at purchashing a set of Cragar D's. The two sizes I'm interested in are as follows-

16x7" (4" of back spacing)
16x8" (5" of back spacing)

I know the stock tire setup is 16x7" with 5"-5.5" of back spacing. The tires I'm running are kumho crugen 235/70 R16 106T.

I eventually want to replace the tires and suspension and maybe get a BDS 2.5" lift full suspension kit to accomadate bigger tires. But first I want new wheels with the tires I already have. I am only interested in these rims or a similar style. I currently have the ugly matte alloy ones and they're all scratched up. Makes my car look like a beater.

Can I buy either of these rim sizes and use the tires I currently have without rubbing the inside of my wheel wells? I've read about the pinch welds getting in the way with 4" back spacing, but what about the 16x8" with 5" back spacing? Will my current tires fit on an 8" rim? Will they rub? I like the idea of my tires sticking out a bit more, but I don't want rubbing.

Any assistance will be VERY much appreciated

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I've read most of the pages already on here concerning this, and i still don't see a solution to my predicament. I don't understand the math behind this stuff and all the ratios and whatnot. I'm a complete virgin to all of this.

I own a 2003 KJ Liberty Sport v6 3.7L. Stock everything.

I'm looking at purchashing a set of Cragar D's. The two sizes I'm interested in are as follows-

16x7" (4" of back spacing)
16x8" (5" of back spacing)

I know the stock tire setup is 16x7" with 5"-5.5" of back spacing. The tires I'm running are kumho crugen 235/70 R16 106T.

I eventually want to replace the tires and suspension and maybe get a BDS 2.5" lift full suspension kit to accomadate bigger tires. But first I want new wheels with the tires I already have. I am only interested in these rims or a similar style. I currently have the ugly matte alloy ones and they're all scratched up. Makes my car look like a beater.

Can I buy either of these rim sizes and use the tires I currently have without rubbing the inside of my wheel wells? I've read about the pinch welds getting in the way with 4" back spacing, but what about the 16x8" with 5" back spacing? Will my current tires fit on an 8" rim? Will they rub? I like the idea of my tires sticking out a bit more, but I don't want rubbing.

Any assistance will be VERY much appreciated

Unlifted and that size tires you have to stay with stock backspacing and also stock width . 8 inch wide is too wide for that tire, 4 inches of backspacing on a 7 inch will give you issues such as rubbing. 7 inch wide and 4 inches of backspacing only works on lifted KJs. 8 inch wide with 5 inches of backspacing sits the tire / wheel out same as 7 inch wide/ 4 inches of backspacing. So unlifted neither are a good idea

Ryanck93

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. Will the rubbing be major, or is it something I can work around? Also, how much of a lift would I need to accomadate these rim sizes? Would 2" be enough?

I will hardly if ever be using this for off-roading. Just a DD for snow and foul weather with a slightly rugged look. I really, really want to make either of these rim sizes work.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depending on suspension sag the rubbing could be major or minor. I got new stock sized tires when i was stock on stock rims and it rubbed a bit on turns. Stick em out an inch and i could only imagine the rubbing on turns. I would avoid 16x7 4"BS until you lift.

Ryanck93

Reaction score
Will a 2" lift accomadate the rim sizes I mentioned along with slightly bigger tires? Thanks for your input.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. Will the rubbing be major, or is it something I can work around? Also, how much of a lift would I need to accomadate these rim sizes? Would 2" be enough?

I will hardly if ever be using this for off-roading. Just a DD for snow and foul weather with a slightly rugged look. I really, really want to make either of these rim sizes work.

Full OME lift kit ( with 927/948 springs ) will give you 2.5 inches of lift and then you can use the 16X7 with 4 inches of backspacing
8 inch wide wheels are not needed since there isn't any tire that we can run the really needs that size
So full OME lift from www.jeepinbysal.com, whatever wheels you want, 245-75-16 tires will be at 21.5 from middle of the wheel to bottom of the flare in front
Better ride and handling on road than stock EVER was

Ryanck93

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I sent you a private message, Tom. Not sure if it went through because I can't see it in my private message folder. But check it out please! Thank you!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I sent you a private message, Tom. Not sure if it went through because I can't see it in my private message folder. But check it out please! Thank you!

GOT IT and responded !!
Anything else ya need I'm here!!:gr_grin:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.