New with two repair questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JBird

Reaction score
Hey everyone -- Just joined the site to try and get some direction on a few things I'm looking to fix on my girlfriend's '07 KJ with the 3.7L.

1) The ESP/TRAC/ABS lights are on every time the car drives... they are not on each time the car starts but within 5-15 minutes they will come on without fail. I haven't pulled any codes but I believe it's either the rear speed sensors or broken wiring but any indication which one it could be? If it is the wires is there a DIY thread somewhere?.. I cannot seem to find one with instructions.

2) The brakes will occasionally feel like the pedal is resisting (she thinks they are grinding). This only happens when the lights mentioned above are not on. Is this an actual brake issue or is this related to the above problem?

3) Is there a 'recommended' maintenance thread? I'll be going through and doing fluids, spark plugs, filters, etc... is there anything important to change on these vehicles?

I'll keep reading through the site for answers but any useful info you guys could post up would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone!

gadaddy

Reaction score
I have an 03 liberty sport that had a similar issue. The ABS light would come on but in addition, the jeep would shift funny and the speedometer would stop working. However, mine would send a code (sorry I don't recall which one). Replaced the rear wheel speed sensor and all was well. Happened again in less than a year. Replaced again but this time I also changed the diff fluid which looked really bad. So far, no issues. Dark or gunked up diff fluid can apparently keep those sensors from reading properly. Your brake issue could be related. Hope this helps.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1) The ESP/TRAC/ABS lights are on every time the car drives... they are not on each time the car starts but within 5-15 minutes they will come on without fail. I haven't pulled any codes but I believe it's either the rear speed sensors or broken wiring but any indication which one it could be? If it is the wires is there a DIY thread somewhere?.. I cannot seem to find one with instructions.

2) The brakes will occasionally feel like the pedal is resisting (she thinks they are grinding). This only happens when the lights mentioned above are not on. Is this an actual brake issue or is this related to the above problem?
#2 relates to #3.That feeling is false ABS activation which then turns on those lights.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plenty of threads about maintenance on here! Recommended fluids and what not are here. Just use the search bar above and you'll get whatever you need!