New Tri Link still a slight knock here and there

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Whelan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced the tri link and the rear ha quieted down significantly. However at random times and only occasional bumps it will still give a slight clunk or almost pop sound. I’m wondering if overtightened or did not tighten things enough. The ends were done to 100 ft. lbs. which I read should be 75? The collar bolt was about the same.

So I’m kinda lost and wondering if doing the lower control arms will help? I have them just have not installed yet. Or should I have greased somewhere.

You must be registered for see images attach

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Could be as simple as a slightly loose shock / weak shock, how are the lower control arms ? They can be bad as well .
On one I chased down to the e-brake cable bouncing around at times causing a rattle like noise

Whelan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shocks and springs were replaced last year. The lower control arms are the only thing left really. Given that all else was done I may just throw these on and see what happens. Going to do it when I do the brakes this week.

I recheck the torque on the shocks as well

RenKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
loose upper shock bolt can sound like someone tapping or smacking on rear door frame when going over bumps

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Shocks and springs were replaced last year. The lower control arms are the only thing left really. Given that all else was done I may just throw these on and see what happens. Going to do it when I do the brakes this week.

I recheck the torque on the shocks as well

Because they were replaced does not rule out shocks at all.
What shocks did you use by the way?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
No idea what OEM were. I replaced the old with these.

What I meant are the shocks you bought the right part number for a KJ ? Some , say like we use on a lifted KJ are for another model of vehicle so the upper mount needs a bushing to fit correctly

Whelan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I meant are the shocks you bought the right part number for a KJ ? Some , say like we use on a lifted KJ are for another model of vehicle so the upper mount needs a bushing to fit correctly

Understood. Yes it was the right part # cross checked a few places to be sure. I rocked the car back and forth yesterday and I can hear it coming from the connection point of the tri-link to the differential. My only guess is the bolt is not tight enough or I need to grease where they connect?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Understood. Yes it was the right part # cross checked a few places to be sure. I rocked the car back and forth yesterday and I can hear it coming from the connection point of the tri-link to the differential. My only guess is the bolt is not tight enough or I need to grease where they connect?

no grease needed, loosen and retighten

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the exhaust hitting anything? Maybe it’s not tri link but something else loose

I had an awlful creak with the slightest movement. Just getting in and out it would creak. Turns out to be the e brake cables rubbing on the holders on the tri link. Rubber sleeve stopped that. Found that out today while working on it. Just food for thought

Last edited:

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you take another video but further away so we can see more of the suspension components. If the sound is coming from the tri-link you should be able to feel the noise by holding on the link when someone rocks it. If it is the tri-link it can only be the bushings are shot, the balljoint is shot, or the balljoint mount is shot.

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you tighteneing to the proper torque spec, or just tightening it? It might need more than you think. Always use factory torque specs on suspension

Whelan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found the culprit. Removed the bolt and saw this. Unfortunately it is Sunday and stores are closed so tomorrow first thing I go bolt shopping.

Whelan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Turns out my collar bracket is also oblonged from years of driving. Apparently they don’t have or make this part so now I have to finger cross for eBay for part 52128586AA. I’ve replaced the bolt, arm, all pieces except the actual collar and I still h e a knock when the differential is moved forward or back. It’s the preload that causes the nudge and knocking. Ugh

Whelan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To update, here is the best pic I had while looking at the collar.

You must be registered for see images

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna have to look at mine, I've been chasing a knock myself. Thanks