New TPMS sensors won't relearn

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crasher

Reaction score
I bought 5 valve assemblies for my 2006 Liberty Limited (diesel) wheels, including the spare, because the light came on in the dashboard even though the pressure was verified several times. The Yeep has less than 120K miles on her, she's a cream-puff.

I bought the TPMS valve assemblies from Rock Auto.

I had all 5 installed, the tires re-balanced, and a 5 tire rotation.

The light is still on in the dashboard, and the (base model) EVIC tells me my spare tire has low pressure.

All 5 tires have repeatedly been checked for pressure, and all 5 tires read good on the Tire Shop's scan tool when the valve assemblies are scanned.

All 5 tires have been rotated to the spare position and run thru the '15 minutes at speed' procedure at least twice. 'Speed' = 45 mph stretch of road.

The 'Spare tire is low' msg as well as the yellow light on the dash are still on.

I ran the 'EVIC Test' where you press and hold the C/T button + Reset button, then start the Jeep. The message displayed is that the self check mode passes satisfactorily.

And then I drove it again at 45 mph for 15 minutes.

I still get the message, and the dash light is still on.

I have a Virginia vehicle inspection due by the end of April.

This is driving me nuts.

crasher

Reaction score
2006 model - The 'retrain' process is driving at a minimum of 20 mph for 15 minutes.

The door jamb placard specs '33 psi'.

All tires have been installed and run thru the procedure at 33psi, and the issue with the spare tire reading 'low' presented itself.
That's when all 5 tires were rotated to the spare tire position to see if that would clear the issue.
The tires/wheels went through the 'relearn' process each time.

It didn't clear the issue.

The tires were aired up to 35 psi and the procedure repeated.

The problem persists.

All the threads on this subject over the years all get this far in the discussion and then end.

No-one has ever published a satisfactory result (that I can find) that clears the issue where the spare reads low on the EVIC.

Even the official TPMS website just cut/paste's the official procedure that doesn't work, as a response each time, and the discussion ends.

Some guys go so far as to place all the TPMS valve stem assemblies into a PCV tube with an air valve in one end, seal the tube, air it up to pressure, and then store the tube in the vehicle.

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure that the sensors you purchases are the correct ones, because there are two different frequencies 315 and 330.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
^ Good suggestion

I have also heard of a few folks who reduced the pressure in each tire by 5-10 psi, let the warning register again, then re-inflated all five to normal levels. Might be worth a shot.

crasher

Reaction score
Make sure that the sensors you purchases are the correct ones, because there are two different frequencies 315 and 330.

I was worried about something like that, but than I thought:

All the sensor packages had the same info printed on them.
All the tires have been rotated to the spare position and roadtested to see if the EVIC message would reset.
And the clincher for me:
If any of the 5 stems were mislabeled or malfunctioning - wouldn't that stem have triggered an error message when it was in one of the other 4 positions, too?

You must be registered for see images

:emotions122:

Prof:
I tried airing them all down to 25 and drove around for a bit, no change when aired back up. I'm trying them at 40psi now for a day or 2 before resetting them to the 33psi as called for on the placard.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
If you know all the TPMS transmitters are good, it must be on the receiving end then. :shrug:

crasher

Reaction score
If you know all the TPMS transmitters are good, it must be on the receiving end then. :shrug:

I'm thinking you're right, at this point.
I don't know whether to start by throwing parts at it - just swap out the receiver thats supposed to be in the rear/drivers wheel well, because I don't *know* that this is the one that would actually pick up the spare tire signal, or am I going to find out it's a bug in the computer somewhere....

Right now I'm waiting on an alternator that's supposed to come in tomorrow (Sunday).
I was driving home (on Friday) from the local repair shop that had done the original 5-tire-valve install and rotation when my battery and throttle dash lights came on, followed by the ESP/BAS, ABS, and TCS lights.

My new 900CCA battery was down to 11.2 volts when I got home 5 minutes later.
From reports by several people that claimed the same trouble-lights suddenly popping up, I can only assume that the alternator decided that it was time to add to the melange.

I'll re-attack the TPMS issue come Monday - I mean, it's not like I have a life anymore anyway....

:happy175:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, when every light on the dash starts blinking the consensus is that it's the battery. If your battery is new (and you're sure it's not a dud), the alternator sounds like a good bet.

On the bright side, eventually you'll have a brand new Jeep. At least, that's what I keep telling myself during times like these. :emotions34:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
You know, it occurred to me that a voltage problem might explain the TPMS thing. Maybe you'll get lucky and kill two birds with one stone. :party52:

crasher

Reaction score
You know, it occurred to me that a voltage problem might explain the TPMS thing. Maybe you'll get lucky and kill two birds with one stone. :party52:

I wish.

The alternator was a PITA to swap 'cuz the belt tensioner pulley was designed by somebody who clearly never intended to have to fix one of these things.

Electrical probs are gone (for now), so I'm semi-happy, but tire pressure light is still lit up.

I'm trying to find info on the sensor in the wheel-well, and whether replacing that might help.

One thread of info says the wheelwell sensor just IDs the closest tire valve, and the ABS sensor figures out whether the tire is spinning at the proper speed for the inflation/diameter.

I'm still trying to puzzle out how it can decide the spare would be low - regardless of which properly inflated tire is installed in the spare position.

crasher

Reaction score
I still don't have it figured out.
I'm really trying not to have to go to the dealer, as I believe I can screw it up cheaper than they can....

mikejeepstarternoob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Once you get light turned off, take all sensors out, cut out valve piece(carefully) and duct tape all of them inside the spare tire. Thats why i love my 05 lol.

Kal-El

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you could go with 03 or 02 as well I think.
Mine does not have TPMS.
That's kinda what I was thinking. Based on all of the sensor information I've looked up, 04 was the first year they incorporated TPMS (at least I hope so if I'm going to shell out for another EVIC). If anyone knows of a 02 or 03 with TPMS please let me know. Are the ambient temperature sensors the same for 02, 03, and 04?

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's kinda what I was thinking. Based on all of the sensor information I've looked up, 04 was the first year they incorporated TPMS (at least I hope so if I'm going to shell out for another EVIC). If anyone knows of a 02 or 03 with TPMS please let me know. Are the ambient temperature sensors the same for 02, 03, and 04?

hmmm.....
from http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f202/how-install-evic-otis-overhead-computer-25616/

it looks like you need to stick to your specific year if you want ambient air temp.
so maybe try to find an 04 EVIC w/ no tpms

Last edited:

Kal-El

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Once you get light turned off, take all sensors out, cut out valve piece(carefully) and duct tape all of them inside the spare tire. Thats why i love my 05 lol.

Tried that... smart-ass Jeep knows it's not carrying 5 spare tires and gives me the "service" warning anyway. Don't know how...seems like it's just the same as sitting in the garage for a while. Consensus is probably true, it's just a battery on the brink, even though all the wheels read pressure just fine.

Your 05 uses a different system and that's probably why you can get away with it.