New TPMS sensors won't relearn

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ol-flattop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got new tires a week and half ago and had the shop replace all 5 TPMS sensors as well, as at least one of OEM sensors' batteries was dead (the shop used Schrader 28308 direct-fit replacements). I was told at the tire shop that the jeep would retrain to the new sensors within 15 minutes of driving over 20mph, and found essentially the same thing (with slight variations on the amount of time necessary) on the forums and in the FSM.

My TPMS light is STILL ON. I've driven more than 500 miles in the past 10 days, most of it interstate, and checked the pressure in all 5 tires several times to make sure that wasn't the issue. I was going to go back to the tire shop, but this system is supposed to be so simple a monkey could handle it, so I'm having a hard time imagining what they could possibly do to correct the problem. Plus, they didn't seem all that knowledgeable anyway - I don't expect to be using this shop again in the future.

Any ideas? If this had been something cheap and unimportant, I'd just put up with the stupid light, but that was a chunk of change, and I've got a vested interest in protecting my investment on new tires, too!

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I am no expert, so keep that in mind.

(See here ---> http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f200/tpms-questions-57058/ <--- )

First off, could you possibly just have a bad sensor? It happens...

In my research for my problem I found a reference to resetting your TPMS by filling the tires to over 40psi, then bleeding the air out to the rated level. I'm not sure if you're supposed to drive it a little in between. It may not work but it's easy enough to try. Good luck! :favorites13:

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just put the jeep through its TPMS relearn mode and train the sensors using the magnet. Also if your sensors can not be triggered by the magnet have the shop put the truck through its relearn cycle and have the shop trigger the sensors according to the pattern on the EVIC.

ol-flattop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am no expert, so keep that in mind.

(See here ---> http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f200/tpms-questions-57058/ <--- )

First off, could you possibly just have a bad sensor? It happens...

In my research for my problem I found a reference to resetting your TPMS by filling the tires to over 40psi, then bleeding the air out to the rated level. I'm not sure if you're supposed to drive it a little in between. It may not work but it's easy enough to try. Good luck! :favorites13:
I suppose anything's possible, but a dead sensor seems unlikely.
Already tried the 40psi thing too.
Would you believe....there's a TPMS forum. Maybe your issue has been covered there: The TPMS Forum - A discussion board for all things TPMS
Yeah, I'd found that and couldn't find any answers in old threads. I asked over there too though, so maybe someone will be able to help.
Just put the jeep through its TPMS relearn mode and train the sensors using the magnet. Also if your sensors can not be triggered by the magnet have the shop put the truck through its relearn cycle and have the shop trigger the sensors according to the pattern on the EVIC.
No magnet, this is the 05+ version. And no evic. As far as I know, there's no way to force the computer into relearn mode, but I'd be glad to be informed otherwise. Scan tool maybe, or would this require something fancy that only the local Chrysler dealer will have?

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
...As far as I know, there's no way to force the computer into relearn mode, but I'd be glad to be informed otherwise. Scan tool maybe, or would this require something fancy that only the local Chrysler dealer will have?
Late in the thread chronicling my troubles I mention taking it back to the dealership for a second try. No luck. I have a strong feeling that the guy didn't know what to look for, though.

If you paid a shop to do this I would lean on them to make it right. That's what I'm doing with both my insurance agent and the repair shop. They hate my guts by now but that's their tough luck. :icon_twisted:

sdg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the TPMS forum has a lot of questions and very few comments / answers...

I am in the same boat as the OP -- I put my winter tires on a second set of rims with new sensors (the "modern" plastic sensors; ordered from eBay, as the dealership charges $100 / sensor here). Since then I have the "Check TPM" system every time I start the vehicle. I managed to get the spare tyre sensor ID programmed, so at least I lost the "Spare pressure low" message, however the "idiot light" on the dashboard is constantly on.

I am sure the TPM system works per se, as on the other set of rims and tyres I have had a flat tyre, a sensor broken and replaced by the dealership, and have rotated tyres, and every time the system has picked up the changes "automagically".

Since the new rims and sensors are "on board", I've tried swapping rear right and spare tyres and then driving with a speed > 20mph for > 20 mins, and it didn't work (I tried 3 times). I disconnected and reconnected the battery, then drove again. Disconnected battery, swapped tires, connected, drove. No luck.

I am keen to understand whether the sensors are alive (maybe they are too old or were stored improperly and the batteries died?). Is there a way to do so without the "expensive" tools? Disassemble and measure battery somehow?

Does someone have positive experience with lowering tyre pressure and driving, over-inflating tyres and driving?

Thanks a lot in advance.

sdg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wrong sensors

So, I did the most common rookie mistake of all times -- I have the wrong sensors. The proper OEM part numbers which the dealership told me are suitable for my KJ are 56029481AB or 56029359AC, and I got 56029398AB, which is for newer Chrysler / Dodge / Jeep / Fiat vehicles (mind you, I'm in Europe, the frequency is 433MHz, and you need the 315MHz version in the USA, so the P/Ns above will not work in the USA).

I'm ordering new sensors and will report in the coming weeks how it develops.

ol-flattop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I did the most common rookie mistake of all times -- I have the wrong sensors. The proper OEM part numbers which the dealership told me are suitable for my KJ are 56029481AB or 56029359AC, and I got 56029398AB, which is for newer Chrysler / Dodge / Jeep / Fiat vehicles (mind you, I'm in Europe, the frequency is 433MHz, and you need the 315MHz version in the USA, so the P/Ns above will not work in the USA).

I'm ordering new sensors and will report in the coming weeks how it develops.
When it became clear that my sensors weren't going to work, my first thought was a nagging fear that I'd done the same thing.:happy175:
As far as I can tell though, these sensors should be working!

Glad your problem is on its way toward solution, at least.

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're running aftermarket sensors, most likely they're the wrong kind. Sensors use a wide array of frequencies which most people don't understand. Example: You might be using a sensor that runs a 27MHz frequency. You buy sensors that run 49MHZ freqency, you're computer wont register it. Second issue, some are set up to run two different lines, a High Line for higher pressure settings and a Low Line for lower pressure settings. IE High Line for Commercial Vehicles, Low Line for Noncommercial. So you have one of two issues, wrong sensor or wrong setting.

ol-flattop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're running aftermarket sensors, most likely they're the wrong kind. Sensors use a wide array of frequencies which most people don't understand. Example: You might be using a sensor that runs a 27MHz frequency. You buy sensors that run 49MHZ freqency, you're computer wont register it. Second issue, some are set up to run two different lines, a High Line for higher pressure settings and a Low Line for lower pressure settings. IE High Line for Commercial Vehicles, Low Line for Noncommercial. So you have one of two issues, wrong sensor or wrong setting.
Wrong sensors was my first thought. However, from all I can find on the internet, these (schrader 28308's) should work. Is there an authoritative source to correct me on this?

Different settings...interesting. I don't recall anything about this on schrader's site, is there another place to check? These are advertized as direct-fit replacements for a ton of passenger vehicles, no commercial ones that I recall, so I would have expected only a 'low pressure' setting on these.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I am not an authoritarian source on this, but I seem to recall references to 315MHz being the Chrysler/Jeep standard.

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wrong sensors was my first thought. However, from all I can find on the internet, these (schrader 28308's) should work. Is there an authoritative source to correct me on this?

Different settings...interesting. I don't recall anything about this on schrader's site, is there another place to check? These are advertized as direct-fit replacements for a ton of passenger vehicles, no commercial ones that I recall, so I would have expected only a 'low pressure' setting on these.

Its only on certain sensors you have high line and low line also on the vehicle manufacturer. But possibly you could have dud sensors as well, I don't think they have a manufacture date to make sure you don't get DOA sensors.

Emorycc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got new tires a week and half ago and had the shop replace all 5 TPMS sensors as well, as at least one of OEM sensors' batteries was dead (the shop used Schrader 28308 direct-fit replacements).

Hey! Side question: What kind of shop installed them for you? And how much was labor?

I am looking into getting new wheels and was pricing the whole thing out! Thanks!!

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the shop is any good, they will not charge extra to install the sensors. but they will charge you through the nose for the sensors them selves. I would go to rock auto and order the sensors there, I did and it saved me a few hundred dollars.

sdg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I finally installed 56029481AB and they worked - the messages I got were "check TPM system", then changed to "spare tyre low pressure", then the TPMS light went off. Again, this P/N is 433MHz, good for Europe, not for USA.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually, as a tire shop owner, my first guess would be that one of the new sensors is defective. Shop where you bought them should have a scan tool to check and make sure they are all active.

Bob

Senistr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The last time I bought tires AND wheels I went through TireRack.com and they charged $50 per wheel. I spent $1133 and bout 4 x 16" MSW Type 13 wheels with Hankook Venture V12's that were mounted, balanced, TPMS, and shipped. I think Discount Auto Tires normally charge around $50 as well per sensor.