New TPMS sensors won't relearn

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kal-El

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Kal-El

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it looks like you need to stick to your specific year if you want ambient air temp.
so maybe try to find an 04 EVIC w/ no tpms

After a bit more research, I found out that is indeed the case. In 2004 DC re-routed the temp sensor signals through the PCM instead of the BCM...thus requiring the 04 EVIC /OTIS. But I still don't know if they even made those without TPMS in 04.

Kal-El

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm told my multiple people in the know (supposedly) that the dealer CAN turn the TPMS system off, but refuse because the law states that a vehicle originally equipped with it cannot have it disabled. I guess the tech who accesses the computer server required to do it is in deep chat if caught, so nobody wants to risk it. BUT.... I'm also told that disabling the monitor for the spare only is totally do-able and very common.

:Insane::Insane:STILL lookin' for an 04 EVIC with no TPMS:Insane::Insane:

VAPoorBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought 5 valve assemblies for my 2006 Liberty Limited (diesel) wheels, including the spare, because the light came on in the dashboard even though the pressure was verified several times. The Yeep has less than 120K miles on her, she's a cream-puff.

I bought the TPMS valve assemblies from Rock Auto.

I had all 5 installed, the tires re-balanced, and a 5 tire rotation.

The light is still on in the dashboard, and the (base model) EVIC tells me my spare tire has low pressure.

All 5 tires have repeatedly been checked for pressure, and all 5 tires read good on the Tire Shop's scan tool when the valve assemblies are scanned.

All 5 tires have been rotated to the spare position and run thru the '15 minutes at speed' procedure at least twice. 'Speed' = 45 mph stretch of road.

The 'Spare tire is low' msg as well as the yellow light on the dash are still on.

I ran the 'EVIC Test' where you press and hold the C/T button + Reset button, then start the Jeep. The message displayed is that the self check mode passes satisfactorily.

And then I drove it again at 45 mph for 15 minutes.

I still get the message, and the dash light is still on.

I have a Virginia vehicle inspection due by the end of April.

This is driving me nuts.
I know I'm a little late, but as long as your tire pressure is correct, VA doesn't currently have a law in place to fail you for a TPMS light being on. My 04 has had a light for over a year and I get the inspection at the dealer near my house.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I was lucky and had an 03 with no TPMS, ABS or TC! :gr_grin:

I was lucky and had an '07 with no TPMS. Then would-be thieves destroyed the steering column and now I have the blinking TPMS light every ten minutes. :emotions34:

crasher

Reaction score
So I bought an EVIC out of an 04 with the individual tire pressure readings, that all the charts showed was compatible with with my 06.
My stock CTD Liberty has got the driving light switch on the stalk, the remote radio controls on the wheel, etc, as standard equipment, so it's supposed to be the high end model with the EVIC that shows warnings instead of the EVIC that shows pressures.

Do the EVIC swap, and it's showing stored info for temp/direction/pressure....
I do the self-check button dance and it shows a good unit in working order.

I hit some button combo that's supposed to reset all the info, and the compass doesn't show direction anymore, the temperature doesn't show temp anymore, and all 4 tires have a blank readout for pressure.
I get no new reset/update/self-aware function over the next 2 weeks or so of daily start/drive/off commuting.

And it wont learn my garage door opener code from the remote.

I swap the 'old' EVIC back in and I'm back to everything working again plus the 'spare tire is still low' msg.

I read that I can take this vehicle in to the dealer to have them reflash the computer to synch the computer and EVIC, but I've got the Sasquatch EGR delete kit in here (and I'm almost ready to do the computer home-brew reflash to shut off the EGR light), and I don't know if they're both in the same computer /flash/reflash/ hokey-pokey.

This whole exercise is getting to the point where I'm on the verge of just buying a new roll of duct tape to cover the lights on the dash and the digital readout on the overhead console and motoring on in blissful ignorance.

VAPoorBoy: Thanks, I got her through inspection, but the inspector was looking at the engine light indicating the EGR situation when he mentioned that we'd see what happens in July when I have to come in for the diesel **** probe EPA farce.
I love the fact that I have to get the diesel EPA sniff-tested, and all the results all print out as N/A, and then they charge me money for the test and sticker.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Hmmmm...I thought I saw somewhere that TPMS was mandatory from 07 and on.

I think that's right. My '07 was delivered on October of 2006 so it squeaked in just under the wire. Not that it helps me now... :favorites68:

Kal-El

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I bought an EVIC out of an 04 with the individual tire pressure readings, that all the charts showed was compatible with with my 06.
My stock CTD Liberty has got the driving light switch on the stalk, the remote radio controls on the wheel, etc, as standard equipment, so it's supposed to be the high end model with the EVIC that shows warnings instead of the EVIC that shows pressures.

Do the EVIC swap, and it's showing stored info for temp/direction/pressure....
I do the self-check button dance and it shows a good unit in working order.

I hit some button combo that's supposed to reset all the info, and the compass doesn't show direction anymore, the temperature doesn't show temp anymore, and all 4 tires have a blank readout for pressure.
I get no new reset/update/self-aware function over the next 2 weeks or so of daily start/drive/off commuting.

And it wont learn my garage door opener code from the remote.

I swap the 'old' EVIC back in and I'm back to everything working again plus the 'spare tire is still low' msg.

I read that I can take this vehicle in to the dealer to have them reflash the computer to synch the computer and EVIC, but I've got the Sasquatch EGR delete kit in here (and I'm almost ready to do the computer home-brew reflash to shut off the EGR light), and I don't know if they're both in the same computer /flash/reflash/ hokey-pokey.

This whole exercise is getting to the point where I'm on the verge of just buying a new roll of duct tape to cover the lights on the dash and the digital readout on the overhead console and motoring on in blissful ignorance.

I'm now fed up too. After forking over all the cash for new sensors,tire remounts, shop & dealer scans, labor, etc etc, and STILL getting the pre-flight chime & warning, I'm going to try an OTIS from an '04 that I finally found on Ebay. Lots of functions would be going away, but it would be worth it. Crossing my fingers...:mad3:

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll be up in Surprise if you need a hand with something this weekend.
unfortunately, can't help much with this tpms issue.

Kal-El

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm now fed up too. After forking over all the cash for new sensors,tire remounts, shop & dealer scans, labor, etc etc, and STILL getting the pre-flight chime & warning, I'm going to try an OTIS from an '04 that I finally found on Ebay. Lots of functions would be going away, but it would be worth it. Crossing my fingers...:mad3:

Damn.... no joy. The part number on the OTIS matches others I've seen from 04's, but I got no temp readings and a CONSTANT tire light on the dash after 3 days of driving with it. It self tested fine...I even got the Homelink buttons to work. :favorites68: Might be time for the duct tape remedy...

Kal-El

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did the self test...EVIC says it's working fine. I'll have to do some more research to see if that self test checks the TPMS receiver. Seems to read all of the tire pressures fine though.

Latest posts