New to site and looking for information >

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TTwizted13

Reaction score
the names Zach, im new to the jeep world. i dont own one yet, but im looking into getting one.

i was hoping you guys and gals could give me some pointers on what to look for when looking at the jeeps?

im coming from the modified car scene, currently have a modified Audi TT, but its not big enough for my hobbies anymore.

so anyways, i found this jeep on auto trader: http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...type=d&cardist=45&standard=false&rdpage=thumb

i am planning on going to see it and test drive this week. are there any major mechanical issues i need to be concerned of, i should be looking for? (i.e. my car, the audi, timing belts are huge issues and should be changed no later then 75k miles)

any and all advice would help out!

thanks again and hoopefully ill be joining the community!

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome to the site. Doesn't look like your link is working. I kind of lean to 2002-early 2003 Libby's .

theroofable

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice looking vehicle! Only thing I see wrong with it is that it has a broken front drivers turn signal. Maybe you could knock the price down some for that. You also will be able to get a sport with less miles for the same price. It depends what style you want. I loved the limited editions, but I couldnt get the same deal I could with the sport, which I still love! Mine was worth 14k, but got it for 10k with 50k miles. Then I added alot of parts to it from mopar, which is quite easy to do, making it more capable.

TTwizted13

Reaction score
Nice looking vehicle! Only thing I see wrong with it is that it has a broken front drivers turn signal. Maybe you could knock the price down some for that. You also will be able to get a sport with less miles for the same price. It depends what style you want. I loved the limited editions, but I couldnt get the same deal I could with the sport, which I still love! Mine was worth 14k, but got it for 10k with 50k miles. Then I added alot of parts to it from mopar, which is quite easy to do, making it more capable.

one of the main things i like about this car is the fender flares and roof rails and roof lights. not sure if there specific to the renegade model or not.

whats the differences between the sport and renegade?

anything major mechanically i should check to make sure has been maintained?

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Judging by the LONG Carfax report, it looks to have been very well maintained. The VIN is also very close to my sister's '05 Renegade too... hmm... wonder when it was built?

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to go against the grain a bit here
First going from an Audi to a Jeep will be quite a shock
The difference in quality is huge ,even to my wife's VW
Unless you plan to get into off roading I would look at something
besides a Jeep
Now that being said I have my doubts that you own a TT
Because IIRC the TT comes with the 2.0T and I know a good bit
about that engine
1 thing I know is there is no timing belt on a 2.0T
they have a timing chain

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
about that engine
they have a timing chain
:rolleyes:

Who says he has the 2.0T?

He could have a first generation model.

That model came with the 1.8L or VR6. The VR6 had a timing chain.

The 1.8L has a timing BELT, like he said.

:freak3:

TTwizted13

Reaction score
I am going to go against the grain a bit here
First going from an Audi to a Jeep will be quite a shock
The difference in quality is huge ,even to my wife's VW
Unless you plan to get into off roading I would look at something
besides a Jeep
about that engine
they have a timing chain

mines a 2002 quattro coupe 225 hp version AMU engine code, 1.8l 5 valve 4 cylinder

TTwizted13

Reaction score
reliability wise, granted i maintain it properly, is this going to last me a few years and make into mid 100k miles? or should i stay away from it being 82k miles?

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
reliability wise, granted i maintain it properly, is this going to last me a few years and make into mid 100k miles? or should i stay away from it being 82k miles?

There's more than a few people around here in that mile (and model year) range without major repairs. My sister's feels like it can go way past double the miles that are on it.... (She's got 85k)

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Our Heep has been the most reliable vehicle we've owned!

You should be good for several years of use.

We bought ours with 123,450.1 kilometers / 76,708.3 miles on the clock.
As of today it has 236,565.2 kilometers / 146,994.8 miles.

We've put on 113115.1 km / 70286.5 miles in 4 years, 8 months, and 5 days!
And let me tell you, there are allot of hard off road miles included during
that time!

Our Heep has been the most reliable vehicle we've owned. Very reliable.
Other than normal wear items it has not needed any major repairs.
1 water pump because the improper coolant was used when we first got it.
1 A/C condenser due to a stone hitting it while driving on the freeway.
If you search through the KJ forums, you will find owners with 200K and more
as well as one with over 300,000.0 Km!

Last edited:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First of all- Welcome!

If you enjoy working on your vehicles you'll enjoy a Jeep too - they're easy to work on, lots of OEM and aftermarket parts (especially the KJ) and built like a TRUCK! (no "car" references here :smokin: )

I have an '03 Renegade with 109K miles on it and like Marlon said above ours feels like it could go to 200K. Yea, I've replaced the ****** (original owner ignored the ****** but took good care of the engine, it appears) but other than that just normal maintenance.

The only significant differences between the Renegade and the Sport models is the lightbar and the heavy duty alternator on the Renegade. The interior appointments are a little different (not necessarily better, but different) and I have skids, fog lights, factory hitch, yes, but all of those can be added to the Sport. So if you find a great deal on a Renegade go for it. Otherwise maybe save a few bucks and buy a Sport and then add what you want via Mopar, salvage yards and the aftermarket.

Oh yeah, I have the SelecTrac which allows 4WD Full Time/year round if I want. Again, not a biggie but makes it nice in snowy climates like ours where I can just leave it in Full Time 4WD and not worry about binding if we hit dry pavement.

I guess I gave you a dime's worth instead of 2 cents but figured I'd lay it out in one post... :party52:

Bob

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
82,000 is nothing
Bought mine new in 9/04 and have put all of the miles on myself ( 161,000) and its never been inside of any dealership or garage except for alignments.
Have had to replace the brakes once, other than normal wear items noting else. It will hit 200,000 easy enough I'm sure, oh and its been lifted 140,000 miles so don't let people tell you that if you lift it then it will fall apart:happy175:

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Bought my '02 with 70K miles on it... it's almost at 175K miles now, in less than 5 years of ownership. Other than general wear/tear maintenance items, it's had a few minor issues (most of which were driver-induced). The majority of the repairs were relatively inexpensive though (as we work on it ourselves). I'd buy it if it were me.

TTwizted13

Reaction score
thanks for all the info guys, it sounds promising! Im gunna go check it out tomorrow and hopefully go from there and have myself a new jeep!

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Judging by the LONG Carfax report, it looks to have been very well maintained. The VIN is also very close to my sister's '05 Renegade too... hmm... wonder when it was built?

Yea, he must've been one that just says OK when they tell him what's "wrong" or very ******* the brakes. Turned the rotor a day after he bought it. My guess is that it sat outside on the lot and moisture ate up the rotors. All trivial at this point of course. Transmission service even. That should last a very long time. I'd get it if it was my turn to get one.

TTwizted13

Reaction score
well guys i looked at it, and the pictures were better then in person. lol

it had quite a few deep scratches on the hood. wheels were completely damaged and curbed. rusted subframe and good bit of fadded interior.

so im gunna have to pass on it

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Well that *****. After just looking at that Carfax, and depending on how BAD the subframe was rusted (what looks bad to you, might not look bad to me), I'd have just used everything else in the negotiations for a lower price.

I'll take a well maintained vehicle over one that just looks good.