New to Jeep

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

krabman

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I recently purchased a 2003 Jeep Liberty Limited. I am the 3rd owner, 125,000 miles with complete maintenance records including the original window sticker.
Enjoying the Jeep so far. I'm planning on installing a 3" lift and off road tires and wheels this week.
I'm looking forward to many enjoyable off road excursions in the future.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I recently purchased a 2003 Jeep Liberty Limited. I am the 3rd owner, 125,000 miles with complete maintenance records including the original window sticker.
Enjoying the Jeep so far. I'm planning on installing a 3" lift and off road tires and wheels this week.
I'm looking forward to many enjoyable off road excursions in the future.
Welcome
what lift ? Tire sizes, wheels are you planning on maybe we can help

For wheels 7 inch wide 4 inches of backspacing when lifted works very well
Plus stay at or below 245-75-16s , even at that size you will lose some power and gas mileage unless going to regear to 4.10s
Lift only one is OME 927 springs front 948 rears with
Thinking of converting your halogen headlamps to HID or LED? ITs A BIG NO NO
shocks ( bilstein or OME can give numbers ) same as stock in front, rear OME 132Ls are great but bilstein are just as good when using correct length ones
teraflex front bumpstops , have to call them to order, and two hockey pucks per side in the rear bolted down to lower spring perch if using correct wheels

Before going offroad, remember tow points front and rear, skid plates at the very least under engine , transmission
Nothing worse than going out and nothing to hook to or bounce off a rock and take out a oil pan

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
^ Tom Summed that up well...:)
Welcome to the Forum. Great you have the build sheet & maintenance records!
Feel free to post a photo of your 03 KJ !

krabman

Reaction score
3" Rough Country, spacer in front and new springs and shocks in the rear. 16x8 Pro Comp wheels, according to Rough country I can run a 245/75/16 tire.
I've been looking on Ebay for OEM tow hooks and started looking at skid plates
Thanks for all the interest, Ill post pictures once I have a few things done!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
3" Rough Country, spacer in front and new springs and shocks in the rear. 16x8 Pro Comp wheels, according to Rough country I can run a 245/75/16 tire.
I've been looking on Ebay for OEM tow hooks and started looking at skid plates
Thanks for all the interest, Ill post pictures once I have a few things done!
HATE TO BE SO BLUNT, BUT HATE TO SEE PEOPLE WASTE MONEY ON DOO DOO PRODUCTS
OH NO ONE OF THE WORST LIFTS YOU CAN DO
16 X8 ARE TOO WIDE FOR MOST 245 75 16S , 7 INCH TREAD, 8 INCH WHEEL, NOT GOOD IN MOST CASES
PLUS A 3 INCH ADVERTISED MAY GET YOU 2 INCHES
HOPE YOU DID NOT ALREADY BUY THEM !
I have 3 sets of Rough Country laying in the junk pile that I removed for folks when after a short time they sagged to nothing
then had to replace UCAs etc that the spacer lift had destroyed

OH AND THE WHEELS UNLESS THOSE 8 INCH HAVE 5 INCHES OF BACKSPACING THEY WILL CAUSE YOU MORE GREIF AS WELL
STICK WITH 7 INCH WIDE AND 4 INCHES OF BACKSPACING
ALL THE ABOVE IS FROM YEARS OF EXPERIENCE, NOT SOME FACEBOOK BS

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Never one not to tell it like it is (I know!) but best heed what the man says.

I keep hearing/reading that RC have cleaned up their act more recently - but I wouldn't want my KJ to be the test mule.
No not really, same old junk for the KJs

PLUS any spacer lift is bad news , no matter the make or brand

Payaso65

Reaction score
Followed Tom's advice 4 years ago on my free Libby. OME 927/948 with Bilsteins running 245/70/17's. About a 3" lift eyeballing it. After 50k miles with a lot of dirt roads, rides better than stock ever did. Cracks me up peeps still argue with Tom. Guy knows his shit. Glad I did my home work on the forum.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Love the idea of a lift and a better ride - but the price of those Bilsteins is a killer, I could probably get another KJ for that. ;)
Trust me a complete aftermarket suspension is worth every penny
I bought my 04 brand new , within the first 100 miles I knew the suspension needed to be upgraded since stock is so weak
I bought front springs, saved up, bought rear springs , saved up, front shocks etc etc
I was working for the state, they offered me a new position which I had to move over 4 hours away, plus had just gotten married, so money was tight . BUT it was worth it , and that first OME lift last 100,000 miles before I sold it to a friend and went heavier duty
So just start buying parts , everything doesn't have to happen overnight

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
somewhere between London & Zunny Deb'n (England)
But that was then - but now it's just too high a proportion of the vehicle's value, especially when I'm unlikely to get more than a couple of years use out of it. Still enamoured with the idea, just can't justify the expense. :(

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
But that was then - but now it's just too high a proportion of the vehicle's value, especially when I'm unlikely to get more than a couple of years use out of it. Still enamoured with the idea, just can't justify the expense. :(
See that is where we are different
Even if I knew it was going to blow sky high in say 10,000 miles, I would rather spend the money and have a safe , great ride than bouncing off the bump stops for those miles
Absolutely can not stand the soft bagged out ride of a stock KJ

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm used to XJ's so don't have a problem with how the KJ rides although it would benefit from new rear shox - but that's as far as I'm prepared to go - if we ever get to that stage.
I bought 3 XJs brand new over the years and ran them all up into the 250 to 300000 range before selling them
They were terrible as well stock

Latest posts

Members online