new owner problem with 4wd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigd

Reaction score
I just picked up an 03 4x4 with 118k miles on it. I got it home and wanted to make sure 4wd worked so I shifted to 4 part time and got a nice loud bang every 10 feet. So I go to shift it back to 2wd and the shifter cable comes off the transfer case. Any way I get it back on and it seems to be stuck in part time 4wd or the light is on anyway. After looking closer I notice it has a size smaller tires on the front wheels, im guessing this is what was making it go bang. Any way looking for ideas on what to do now, I dont know if I want to try to drive it and see if it will snap back into 2wd but I need to get it to a tire shop to get new tires on it, looking for ideas.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
One way would be to get all 4 wheels off the ground then try and get it back out
Hope you haven't already screwed up everything
Do not try and drive it with it like that
also bet you are on hard pavement which is a no-no anyways

bigd

Reaction score
I should have waited but I was pulling in my drive way after picking it up and just wanted to test it out to see if it was working :pp:

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just picked up an 03 4x4 with 118k miles on it. I got it home and wanted to make sure 4wd worked so I shifted to 4 part time and got a nice loud bang every 10 feet. So I go to shift it back to 2wd and the shifter cable comes off the transfer case. Any way I get it back on and it seems to be stuck in part time 4wd or the light is on anyway. After looking closer I notice it has a size smaller tires on the front wheels, im guessing this is what was making it go bang. Any way looking for ideas on what to do now, I dont know if I want to try to drive it and see if it will snap back into 2wd but I need to get it to a tire shop to get new tires on it, looking for ideas.

Do you only have 4X4 part time or do you also have 4X4 full time available?

If you only have part time then you have the Command Trac transfer box which means you can only use 4X4 at low speeds on very slippery terrain as there is no central diff to make up for different speeds between the front and rear axles.

The previous owner was an idiot to fit different size tires....you have probably trashed your transfer case if it is the Command Trac type.:freak3:

bigd

Reaction score
It has full time also, so my next question worst case would it be ok to drive it in full time if I cant get into 2wd with the current tires, I only need to go about 5 miles. If not think I will just remove the tires and take them to get replaced.

Last edited:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
It has full time also, so my next question worst case would it be ok to drive it in full time if I cant get into 2wd with the current tires, I only need to go about 5 miles. If not think I will just remove the tires and take them to get replaced.

Yes, full-time can be used on pavement.

Dave

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

No do not drive
with different size tires trying to turn at different rates you're asking for issues / problems

bigd

Reaction score
ok got it up in the air and im pretty sure its in 2wd, the cluster light seems to be one notch off. When im in 2wd it shows part time , when in part time it shows full time and full time it shows 4 low. Tried to reset the ecu but the part time light came back on after a min. Can I pretty much ignore this light or does it affect how the car runs? Also when I get the new tires im gona head to the beach and test the 4wd proper this time, anything to look for or listen too to see if I did any damage?

trent.brown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the position sensor, search for it, plenty on here about it. Also I wouldn't drive in full time either without same size tires. It wasn't designed to do that much differentiating. More stress= more chances of something breaking

SabaII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depending on ths size difference of the tires, driving it in fulltime for a small distance i.e. to the repair shop, is not going to be the end of the world. Is it going to add some heat to the transfer case, yes but if you keep low speed and only drive as far as you NEED to and that is a reasonable distance. You should be okay.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Depending on ths size difference of the tires, driving it in fulltime for a small distance i.e. to the repair shop, is not going to be the end of the world. Is it going to add some heat to the transfer case, yes but if you keep low speed and only drive as far as you NEED to and that is a reasonable distance. You should be okay.

Better to tow the Liberty though.

stn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure why you would drive it. The chance you take is not worth the added time it would take to haul two front tires to the shop for replacement, then drive it in for the rear two.