New KJ owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Usmccjk

Reaction score
Alright, I am sure I should have read and searched around more, but, I am the proud owned of a incredibly low miles '06 KJ. That being said, where do I start? I am born and raised XJ. I require off road ability. I live in the sticks in Colorado and cannot deal with a grocery getter Jeep. Any help would be awesome.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Well now, I suggest reading on here and LOSTJEEPs , whole lot of info on many types of different ways to build one. Just read ask questions, get a budget together of what you like to spend . if looking at lifts stay away from spacers/ Skyjacker , Rustys, RRO and you'll be in pretty good shape.
Make a list of what you'd like and someone on here will tell you if it will work or way off base
There are lifts/skids/bumpers/ and all kinds of things for your " grocery getter" mine never came with that option though.....

Usmccjk

Reaction score
Perhaps I should clarify a bit. Wife needs a grocery getter. I need an off roader. Budget isn't really a problem. Looking at OME lift solutions. My DD is a POS Cadillac. I have seen some seriously baddass KJs. I wanna get there. That said, it needs to be able to go pick up dog food at the shop too. I honestly don't know where to start on my newest project.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Here you go, 2 daily drivers that take their owners to work, play, and even get groceries at times :icon_lol:
Silver one 3.5 inches of lift, 245-75-16s , 4.10s belongs to John3:17
Black one 4.25 inches of lift, 265-75-16s , 4.10s belongs to me
You must be registered for see images attach

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Perhaps I should clarify a bit. Wife needs a grocery getter. I need an off roader. Budget isn't really a problem. Looking at OME lift solutions. My DD is a POS Cadillac. I have seen some seriously baddass KJs. I wanna get there. That said, it needs to be able to go pick up dog food at the shop too. I honestly don't know where to start on my newest project.

OME and Ironman are both good lifts. Have ran and installed both.

tlrtucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey a local guy - I live about 20 minutes from you, on Green Mountain in Lakewood. I used to blast through Indian Hills on my motorcycles back in the day....

If you have about $2k+ to throw at a lift, go with the 4.25" adjusta struts that Tom's running. If you wanna keep it under $1k (lift only) go with OME 927's. That's what I'm running. Come check out my set up any time.

Last edited:

Bmxer524

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OME 927/948 springs will get you 2.5" of lift, Ironman will get you about 2.25". Both will run $7-800. Want to go higher you can add a clevis lift, top plate, and extra rear isolators for 3.5" of lift. Only problem is you'll need upper a-arms around 3". No big deal, but that lift jumps to $12-1300.

Or as said, get the JBA adjust-a-strut system. The front alone costs $1500(same fore 2-4+"). Then add rear springs and shocks and miscellaneous.

Last edited:

tlrtucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a 3" lift, check my signature for what I'm running...

You must be registered for see images attach

Usmccjk

Reaction score
Thanks all! TLR... Mon thru Fri I make magic happen at the Wildflower Cafe in Evergreen. Swing by sometime, we can chat about all things Jeep.

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome. Read through the lift threads. Tons of good info there. I'm actually going to switch my fronts to the JBA adjust-a-strut setup when I'm not on a detachment somewhere. You are a lucky man to live where you do. You are close to my favorite concert venue as well.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome.

Dave