New KJ owner need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bash_mct

Reaction score
i bought a pre owned jeep liberty limited 2002 recently,
it had CEL when i bought it.
took it to diagnostics it threw lot of codes cleared all codes and test drove it again to get any fresh codes.

then changed all lubes most of the codes went out. transmission was shifting fine CEl gone.

one thing that was bothering me was when driving above 3k rpm and if i lift my foot from the gas i can hear a sound as if it skipped and it jerks. it doesn't happen if i accelerate slowly.

power steering is little hard i assumed that its because of the oil i drained the tank and refilled it with ATF+4 no major improvement.

after driving some distance it smells different when parked.

i faced one major issue a week back. i was in a big traffic jam for more than an hour then i took the carriage way was driving 120kmph for about 50 odd kms while on carriage way used my cruise control wanted to test it as it dosent hold for long it worked for few kms but when i tried to accelerate while on cruise control it was not responding well and was bit hesitant nd made weird noise i didnt pushed it more settled back and drove.

once i took the exit from the highway my speed reduced and i had to slowdown on a traffic light the libby just stopped dead. engine was on but it was not moving in any gear, switched off restarted yet no response as if its in park. floored the gas in "D" it took off as if nothing happened, after that its back to normal.

what might be the cause of it.
please help me out, i dont want to be stuck in middle of nowhere with my family

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many km is on it? Looks like you may have a transmission on the way out. Also your power steering pump will need to be replaced if it did not have ATF+4 in it.