new here need help no start

Discussion in 'How To' started by bruce, Nov 25, 2019.

1. bruce

bruce New Member

ok so went out hunting my 2007 jeep liberty was find dad drove to bottom of mounting to pick me up after i shot on drove back up top to get my stand turned jeep off then came back wouldnt start no crack.. relays working starters has power all fuses are working so all im left with is neutral safety switch ? and help and its not on the side of tansmission so this means its in transmission fluid pan? any thing will help at this point

2. LibertyTC

LibertyTC Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

When you turn the key does the starter motor engage or nothing in park or neutral ?
    I'm wondering if it may be the ignition .actuator pin.

3. bruce

bruce New Member

starter motor ? nothing in park or neutral but then when i use the screw driver to both wires on start its crack but wont still wont start and do you have any clue where the neutral safty switch is ?

4. bruce

bruce New Member

how can you test the ignition

5. Billwill

Billwill Full Access Member

Remove the Starter Relay from the box under the hood.
    Identify female pins 30 and 87 inside the empty relay socket.
    With key in ignition and ignition ON and the Jeep in Park or Neutral...briefly jumper female pins 30 and 87 together.

If fuse #8 40A under the hood is good the Jeep should turn over and start.

This overrides the Park/Neutral interlocks, the Ignition switch and the Actuator Pin assembly which rotates the ignition key.

LibertyTC likes this.
  6. bruce

bruce New Member

ok i did that last night and it cranks but wont fire when o try doing this

7. Billwill

Billwill Full Access Member

You sure that the chipped key was in the ignition slot and turned fully ON?

When ignition is turned ON is there a bright Red LED glowing on the LHS of the cluster?

This is the SKEES LED which should be OFF if the PCM is happy with the Key Code sent to it by the SKIM module on top of the steering column.

If this Red LED flashes all the time it means the PCM has not recognized the code sent to it by the chipped key....the engine will fire up fire a few seconds and then die.

If this Red LED stays ON all the time while cranking it means that the PCM is happy with the Chipped Key Code...PCM energizes the ASD Relay under the hood. The ASD relay signals to the PCM that it has energised. If the PCM does not receive this acknowledgement from the ASD relay.....the engine will crank forever but will not fire.

Check if this Red LED on left side of cluster is ON all the time.

You can then try swap over the ASD relay with an identical one next to it and you can try jumper out pins 30 and 87 inside the ASD Relay empty socket while cranking with a tempory jumper in the Starter Relay.

Is the Fuel Pump running? If not then check the fuse for the Fuel Pump.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
    LibertyTC likes this.
  8. bruce

bruce New Member

fule pump tunes on as soon ah i turn the key i will have to check the light later i did the 87 an 30 in relay just cranks over but dont fire up