New from Jersey

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jerzyiroc

Reaction score
Hey everyone! Picked up an 03 Liberty Sport off a friend for $500 back in December. It's my first Jeep and although not a Wrangler or anything, I'm still excited to start my venture into some 4x4 fun. Was well maintained by him but still has some gremlins a 150k mile truck would have. Looking at the build sheet it has;

Dana 30/186MM Front Axle
Corporate 8.25 Rear Axle
45RFE(DG4)
Part-time 4WD
3.73 Rear no mention of trac-Lok :(

Biggest issue with it right now is it has a blown passenger side exhaust manifold gasket which I'll do but mortified of breaking a stud in the head. Other issue that I'm slightly concerned about is an occasional hard thump (sounds like its coming from the rear tho) going from 2nd to 3rd and yesterday what seemed like a little bit of a slip when shifting from 2-3. My guess is trans is starting to go which would **** but I've seen some go for pretty cheap, like $300 at local yards.

Besides that it's pretty solid. Body rust but no problematic chassis rust, pretty much everything works, 4WD works great. Overall for what I paid I'm happy with it. My hope is to make this into a reasonably reliable truck for weekend offroad camping trips with my wife and 2yo (who loves the outdoors). Once I get some of the previously mentioned things sorted I'll work on getting proper offroad tires, probably a roof rack, and get myself out there and figure out what I need as I need it. Anyway, long intro, sorry. Look forward to browsing this forum to learn more about this truck.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome! Fee free to ask lots of questions. Lots of knowledgeable folks on here willing to help out.

Also, hello from Philly! Those pitch pines in the background put you in South Jersey?

jerzyiroc

Reaction score
Welcome! Fee free to ask lots of questions. Lots of knowledgeable folks on here willing to help out.

Also, hello from Philly! Those pitch pines in the background put you in South Jersey?
It depends on where you stand in the whole "does central Jersey exist" debate lol. I'm in what I consider Central Jersey over in Howell. It's about 20 minutes from the Collier Mills in Jackson which you've probably heard of. Good to know someone in here is somewhat local! I'm guessing Wharton is a place you go to?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
WELCOME
Check rear tri link , ball joint that connects tri link to the rear diff
It could be causing some noise back there

Latest posts

Members online