New Belt and Tensioner... Do It!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
EPDM belts are designed to last 100k,that does not mean all will as you well know.Poly belts(dayco and gaterbacks) have a design life of 20k-30k.

Dayco's belts aren't poly dude.... The part number I used was 5060865, results are...

http://www.accessdayco.com/automotive#/2005/JEEP/Pickups%2fVans%2fSUVs/LIBERTY/V6%203.7L%20226ci%20GAS%20FI%20N%20K/

The link blows...select the year/make/model crap and get to the good info, the Dayco belt is EPDM Aramid Reinforced Rubber.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dayco's belts aren't poly dude.... The part number I used was 5060865, results are...

http://www.accessdayco.com/automotive#/2005/JEEP/Pickups/Vans/SUVs/LIBERTY/V6 3.7L 226ci GAS FI N K/

The link blows...select the year/make/model crap and get to the good info, the Dayco belt is EPDM Aramid Reinforced Rubber.
Only there "W" serp belts are,we have 500 dayco serp belts hanging on the wall and not one is EPDM,and all are less then 6 months old.

http://www.daycow.com/

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's cool Troy, the Dayco PN I bought is an EPDM aramide reinfored belt. PN 5060865. I beleive in this case that the term "poly" refers to the belt having more than one rib.

I'm not wanting to start an arguement, there's more important things to do than that. You have your point of view and experiences, I have mine.

I appreciate your being a member here. Continue to provide valuable insight and advice.

k99jk99j

Full Access Member
Reaction score
according to allpar the 3.7L came with a polly belt from the factory!

cut and paste:
" An automatic tensioner for the single serpentine poly-vee belt makes adjustment unnecessary for the life of the belt."

Link:
http://www.allpar.com/mopar/37.html

buy the way dayco has 2 different grades of belts! poly being top of the line for around $30

and the lesser belt for $20 made by their company driverite

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score

cut and paste:
" An automatic tensioner for the single serpentine poly-vee belt makes adjustment unnecessary for the life of the belt."

Link:

buy the way dayco has 2 different grades of belts! poly being top of the line for around $30

I know my OEM belt on my '02 KJ was EPDM,still have it as a trail spare.

I'm sorry if I get all bent out of shape on dayco belts,from experience at work they are the worst belts on the market,we have so many issues and loose money switching them out for EPDM Gates belts all the time but corporate will not let us stock Gates belts.

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score

cut and paste:

Link:

Again, poly ( prefix from ancient Greek ) means "more than one" and does not reference the material from which the belt is made but the number of ribs on said belt. There, I'm done. I'm taking my blocks and going home. :D

k99jk99j

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I'm sorry if I get all bent out of shape on dayco belts,from experience at work they are the worst belts on the market,we have so many issues and loose money switching them out for EPDM Gates belts all the time but corporate will not let us stock Gates belts.

no harm done! but you are going to mess your pants on this one. dayco's have epdm in them!

cut and paste:
"Constructed with Aramid reinforced EPDM compounds, the Dayco “W” profile serpentine belt delivers more than OE required quality...it delivers the solution to troublesome drive problems. Dayco Poly-Rib Belts meet or exceed SAE J1459 and SAE J1596 specifications. "

Link:
http://www.daycoproducts.com/daycow...1120b6e8f406fd3e862574c000569a91!OpenDocument

also looks like dayco invented the poly v serpentine for the 1979 mustang
Link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serpentine_belt

does any body know what cheaper serpentine belts are made of (the ones with material threads on the top {smooth side} of the belt?) the higher priced ones seem to be all rubber on the top (like the dayco poly v).

i admit in the past i usually buy what ever the house brand belt is (usually duralast from autozone, around 20 dollars) mike

Last edited:

k99jk99j

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If they aren't EPDM, ethylene propylene diene monomer, then they are usually CR, polychloroprene or chloroprene rubber. This is why some manufacturers call their CR based belts a POLY belt, because they are polychloroprene.

There is other factors other than wear length, aka how long they last. Some racers swear by CR Poly belts because they won't stretch as fast under extreme heat like the softer EPDM belts will. Dont believe me then thats fine, but do some reading on racing forums. I have a friend who is a dirt track racer, want an argument about CR vs EPDM then grab a beer and mention it to him, its gonna take a while.. LOL

Of course there is many other variants, some are fiberglass weave, you can even get carbon fiber woven belts if your pocketbook is fat. Either way, EPDM or CR, the vehicle manufacturers still give pretty much the same change interval. So it doesn't matter. I just changed my tensioner and belt, in another 20-30k i will toss on a new belt, and in another 60k i will replace the tensioner again! Cheap insurance...

thanks for the knowledge! it is vary clear the belts are made of different materials, depending on what auto parts store you go to! on my 06 (which was poly from the factory) it lasted 39,000 miles and 4 years, before three big cracks appeared on the smooth side. i don,t mind cracks on the rib side but i believe failure is around the corner with cracks on the smooth side!

the industry says you should replace the belt every two years regardless of mileage. two years might be a little soon, i usually change mine at 3-4 years. mike

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score

On the other hand, I'm wondering about the Dayco tensioner. Swapped mine out about two weeks ago and now I get a noticable vibration when I turn the steering wheel at slow speeds. Not a major vibration, but you can feel it and hear it. I put the old tensioner on, vibration gone. New tensioner back on, vibration back. Anyone have any ideas? Should I just ignore it?

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Napa Power-Fit 6K874 belt and a Gates tensioner, waiting for when I need them.
Who makes the Napa belts and what material are they?

Latest posts

Members online