New Belt and Tensioner... Do It!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just installed my new Gatorback belt and Gates tensioner... Ahh peace and quiet.. The Squeekity is gone when the engine is cold.

FYI... If you haven't checked yours check it. When i took it off i gave the tensioner pulley, the ribbed one, a spin and man is that bearing ROUGH.. Is has a nice whine and grind to it, SHOT...

The only symptom i had was a light squeek for a half minute or so when it was cold, i thought it was the power steering pump. But since it was at 58k and everyone talks about the tensioner self destructing i replaced it. What a difference.

I think I'm about due for this too..

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ya KB good job...the gates and gatorback should do you for another 60K.
I am still low 37K but am going to do both at 48 and keep old parts as spares.
Were you able to order both belt and tensioner/idler pulley as one piece ...at one location? ..where u get em from?

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I read it as I could not get em at Rock Auto...dam...Need my glasses?

BjBnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read it as I could not get em at Rock Auto
Same here... the "I couldn't" threw me off the first time I read it.

Only problem to order from rockauto is they want to charge me $25 to ship the belt and $25 to ship the tensioner because they come from location A and B. To me that's bad business. I shouldn't have to pay extra if they don't have the stock in one place. Especially 2 parts that kinda go together

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Try a NAPA or Lordco they should be able to get them in Ottawa..??

brucebotti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shipping is the only issue I've ever had with Rock Auto. Sometimes you'll add something like a thermostat gasket (which is shipping from the same warehouse) and it will add $9 in shipping. That being said....I still love Rock Auto! Great prices...great sevice....quick shipping!
Bruce

Midgear

Reaction score
as far as I know, my tensioner has 133,333 miles on it.. (parked it here at work and looked down and seen the mileage.. lots of 3's) it gives a nice little chattering clunky sound whenever throttle is applied from idle lol.. I reckon it's time for a new one.

not sure what's causing it to rattle like that.. guess the spring inside, that makes it apply tension, is weak. don't get any squeaking belt though.

AlexKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm became paranoid so I just bought a new OEM belt (P/N 5135745AA for USD 89.80) and I'm getting a new Dayco tensioner (P/N 89254 for USD 84.41 shipping, taxes and fees included) from Rockauto.com :D

AlexKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ouch... Thats a LOT more than i spent for a Goodyear Gatorback and Gates Tensioner...

Actually for about $90 with shipping i got the belt, tensioner, trans filter and gasket kit...
Yeah... sad isn't it? :( But, oh well... :D

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The OEM EPDM belt will out last the gaterback belt by at least 100k.I had a gaterback belt on and it didn't make it 10k before it was cracking badly,it's still a old school poly belt with a design life of 20k-30k if your lucky.

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The OEM EPDM belt will out last the gaterback belt by at least 100k.I had a gaterback belt on and it didn't make it 10k before it was cracking badly,it's still a old school poly belt with a design life of 20k-30k if your lucky.

If the OEM belt should run 100K more than a Gatorback which you say can run 20K, then why did I have to change out my OEM EPDM belt at 60K if it's suppose to run for 120K?

The OEM belt was cracked and beat up and starting to shed some of it's width. I replaced it with a Dayco belt and after 20K it still looks new, no cracks.

Banditsteve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced my belt a couple of years ago just after I got my Jeep. It had about 50k miles on it then. I put an original mopar belt on it cos we don't have the wide choice for spare aftermarket parts over here that you guys have but they wanted £150 for the tensioner!!! Needless to say it didn't get one. It has about 67k on it now and still quiet so hopefully it will be ok.
Maybe I need to become an aftermarket Jeep parts importer? Hmmmmm? headscratch.gif

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the OEM belt should run 100K more than a Gatorback which you say can run 20K, then why did I have to change out my OEM EPDM belt at 60K if it's suppose to run for 120K?

The OEM belt was cracked and beat up and starting to shed some of it's width. I replaced it with a Dayco belt and after 20K it still looks new, no cracks.
Different operating conditions dictate belt longevity,some areas a belt will last longer then others.

Good luck with a dayco belt,the worst belt you can install.

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Different operating conditions dictate belt longevity,some areas a belt will last longer then others.

Good luck with a dayco belt,the worst belt you can install.

Just shot your own 100K arguement in the foot eh?

The Dayco was all I could find in this back water berg. The dealer didn't have one in stock when I needed mine. Hell man, they don't stock any Liberty bits. All of the parts I've had to get through them have had to be ordered from a magical parts depot somewhere.

Last edited:

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced my belt a couple of years ago just after I got my Jeep. It had about 50k miles on it then. I put an original mopar belt on it cos we don't have the wide choice for spare aftermarket parts over here that you guys have but they wanted £150 for the tensioner!!! Needless to say it didn't get one. It has about 67k on it now and still quiet so hopefully it will be ok.
Maybe I need to become an aftermarket Jeep parts importer? Hmmmmm? headscratch.gif

Funny you should say that Steve, better than half of MarkIV Automotive's sales from the Dayco division are in Europe.

http://www.mark-iv.com/transmission.aspx

Troy, seeing as MarkIV is a tier one supplier to many manufacturer's, there's a good chance that the OEM belt on any Jeep is a Dayco belt with Mopar markings.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just shot your own 100K arguement in the foot eh?

The Dayco was all I could find in this back water berg. The dealer didn't have one in stock when I needed mine. Hell man, they don't stock any Liberty bits. All of the parts I've had to get through them have had to be ordered from a magical parts depot somewhere.
EPDM belts are designed to last 100k,that does not mean all will as you well know.Poly belts(dayco and gaterbacks) have a design life of 20k-30k.