New battery? What to get?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

waywardtravel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just another quick Optima thing. I believe it's a better battery that most would agree. The yellow top is a deep cycle designed for the marine industry. Designed to run more cycles completely dead and also less CA and CCA than a red top which would make a noticable difference in cold climates.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally got around to getting a new battery. Went with the battery that tommudd recommended. It was local so if I need to return it that wont be a problem and it was only $104. Just couldnt justify spending almost $200 for a battery that I would have to travel an hour to buy. Its got 800CCA and 1000CA. Jeep starts almost instantly where it would crank VERY slowly with the 6 year old optima.

You must be registered for see images attach

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
For the money that is a vary good valued 800CCA battery. I am sure it will serve you well.
It is hard to justify 200$ + for AGM's , even though I like the idea of no science projects on terminals. My concern though with these removable caps (non sealed) lead acid batteries is that they tend to vent and can cause corrosion problems,both to terminals/wires, and it is placed real close to the fuse box area. So don't ever over fill them, and coat terminals in Vaseline and keep em clean. The advantage is you can add water to them with removable caps, and these types are recommended for warmer regions.
I have called locally recently looking for a DT lead acid sealed (maintenance free) group 78 in 800CCA and have found one at 850CCA that I am considering as an option for $125
Because of bouncing around in 4x4 modes, I prefer either sealed lead acid (maintenance free) or AGM's.
Going battery shopping here is tough, and I am not sure what is available in the US as far as the Sealed lead acid 800 CCA group 78 is concerned.
If you find some feel free to post em in here, for those that may consider these as an option.

huntbuggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CT Motomaster?

Tim the Canadian Tire Motomaster batteries are what I always buy when they go on sale. The AGM I've seen there on sale is the Eliminator Grid (?) and I've put the LA Eliminators in trucks with zero issues all winter and with lots of lights and stereo.

With the 02 KJ I got stuck last year with the stock battery in a group 86 type. Was coughing with the tiny original factory battery in January deep freeze so I just got the CT Motomaster group 86. Great so far for the price - and the Crappy Tire money discount (which they are looking to phase out!!!! :icon_eek: )

If I had not been in a hurry to put in a new battery I would have gone looking for a way to rig up a bigger tray to fit in a bigger and better battery - let us know if you source something better than the local CT.

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
HB I try not to buy Motomaster batteries.
Never found any of their batteries to pass load test after 3 years. I load test all my batts every year in fall and sometimes in spring if they are older, like where I am today.
My KJ's stock Chrysler Mopar battery is a group 34- 630CCA and is only 2 years old, passes load test no problem, but still want to replace it with more CCA 800+ in dual terminal if possible. Maintenance free. I think a group 78 or 34-78 drops in after 2003 KJ.
I buy my batteries from Battery Direct and generally go with the Platinum series.
flip 5 pages over to Platinum: http://www.batterydirect.com/sites/default/brochure.html
It is my boat battery that has marginal reading (also platinum same as sedan car) and the sticker on these batteries now states 36 month free replacement and the pdf at battery direct states 5 year free replacement. Will see what happens as I am going to take this battery out there and see if I can convince them to give me a free replacement, if they do I will buy one new one for the Jeep, while there. I get these batteries at wholesale prices with an employer account there. They also have Odyssey PC-1500 DT for sale but even my cost is $279 plus tax..ouch.
Edit: Just got back from Battery Direct, my boat battery after a trickle charge all night and a load test just passed and the magic eye remains green not red like a few days ago.
I guess it just needed a good charge up that is all.
38672[/ATTACH]"]

Battery direct has changed their line up in batteries. Everything has removable caps, but all have 60 month free replacement. All that is left in sealed is Odyssey & Optima there now, no more maintenance free.
I have managed to find at Edmonds Batterieshttp://www.edmondsbatteries.net/products/automotive/ a dual post maintenance free 850 CCA-1050CA in a group 78 for $100. I think for the heck of it, I am going over this week when I get a chance and simply buy oner of them, it only comes with 36 free replacement though.
It will however give the more desired power immediately in the KJ, so I don't have such a small reserve anymore.
One further note about load testers. Wall Mart used the EXP-800 and it prints out a paper result. I think this is a tough cookie to pass.( ya sell more batteries)
http://www.midtronics.com/home/products/transportation/batterytesters/EXP-800.aspx
Battery Direct had a less automated tester that had a manual knob (carbon Pile my guess) and the boat battery passed this one but not Wall Marts.
After Wall Mart's test the magic eye was red (poor) after charging and a carbon pile test, magic eye was still green and at 13.25 volts. Probably less amps applied by Battery Direct? Had it set @ 300.

Attachments

• BatteryDirect630CCA.jpg
    BatteryDirect630CCA.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
78 Dual Post 850 CCA w/Removable Caps

I decided to upgrade (sedan) battery with a new Group 78 850CCA from Battery Direct today. Retail price was $209 my cost $134 Tax In!
It was the construction & the 5 year free replacement that sold me on this one. I will move the good 630amp platinum that was in the car to the boat.
Does not hurt to have a new battery with an extra 220 CCA!
38693[/ATTACH]"]

After buying the new battery here was my chance to actually see how a new battery reads before charging.
Back at WallMart last night for their $1000?http://www.midtronics.com/home/products/transportation/batterytesters/EXP-800.aspx EXP800 load test print out:
The parameters have to programmed in, LOL look at the Battery age.ha.. ha
38695[/ATTACH]"]

797 CCA New off shelf. Proves a good manual trickle charge even to a new battery is needed.

I think the Jeep's 2 year old 630 CAA deserves ....
38697[/ATTACH]"]

Could be in the near future.
I did buy an odyssey eventually...and WoW.. what power it still has many years later!
38699[/ATTACH]"]

Attachments

• 3E4u3yW.jpg
    3E4u3yW.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 0
  • WesNmP8.jpg
    WesNmP8.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 0
  • doDp4SW.jpg
    doDp4SW.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 0
  • rT0KpoJ.jpg
    rT0KpoJ.jpg
    427 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah TC, that exp-800 is a $1,000 tester. I am just a shade tree type mechanic and not a professional so that is too pricey to justify for me. I do need a good battery load tester though.

I do like that Odyssey battery hold down.

Dave

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Dave, Did some searching and the EXP-800 lists at$ 1670 sale at $1125 besides battery it also can do charging system and even test diode ripple! (wonder if WallMart knows this?)
I will ask them next time since now it is installed in sedan if they can use it to test charging system....interesting..http://www.denlorstools.com/home/dt1/page_23180_129/midtronics_exp_800_adv_battery__elec_sys_analyzer_.html
For $257 I think this is their best bet, be nice to have!
http://www.denlorstools.com/home/dt1/page_28536_129/midtronics_pbt_300_battery_tester_inductance.html
Here is the full line up with some below $150
http://www.denlorstools.com/home/dt1/multilist_358/midtronics.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dave, Did some searching and the EXP-800 lists at$ 1670 sale at $1125 besides battery it also can do charging system and even test diode ripple! (wonder if WallMart knows this?)
I will ask them next time since now it is installed in sedan if they can use it to test charging system....interesting..http://www.denlorstools.com/home/dt..._exp_800_adv_battery__elec_sys_analyzer_.html
For $257 I think this is their best bet, be nice to have!
http://www.denlorstools.com/home/dt...ronics_pbt_300_battery_tester_inductance.html
Here is the full line up with some below $150
http://www.denlorstools.com/home/dt1/multilist_358/midtronics.

You are a bad influence on my wallet, TC.....haha

Dave

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
This whole forum is full of wish lists and Jeep Disease.
I think of all the stuff we buy for our Jeeps & then realize..heh..wait..there is more...
I am glad I was able to help Dave lighten the wallet load.
If you do buy one Dave let see a review on it....then Who knows...maybe we all will want one!
And HB since I could not find the link to hold down bracket, what price on it or link directly to it...
West Coast makes a cheaper version for the PC-1500
http://www.odysseybatteries.com/fullsize/pc1500weld.htm

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Don't laugh ... but ... I have the Energizer Bunny under my hood. :D

13 months no issues .. 3 year free replacement ... 1000 CA / 800 CCA's .. $97 Wallyworld

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't laugh ... but ... I have the Energizer Bunny under my hood. :D

You mean the pink bunny beating on a drum.................

:happy175::happy175::happy175::happy175:

Dave

huntbuggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sent PM tim. Check these out - slick!

http://artecindustries.3dcartstores.com/Odyssey-Mounts_c_29.html

On the list (sigh) now - chalk it up for either if I get a winch better than my comealong or 2012 battery warranty gone.

On the 02 I have to get a bigger tray rigged somehow and probably rewire and relocate the battery temp sensor - not a lot of slack... or much room either with the wiring box there...

Anyone redone their 02 to get rid of their group 86 ?

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
38718[/ATTACH]"]

Attachments

• O7s8YGG.jpg
    O7s8YGG.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
This thread has turned into bunny/battery/carot **** now.....:smokin:

Dave

retmil46

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chrysler Optima Red Top developed a shorted cell 6 months after buying the vehicle. Replaced it with an Autocraft Titanium Group 34/78, served well up until recently. But now back in NC where we actually have winters, it was showing it's age and the effects of two 100 F plus summers in San Antonio. Last week with morning temps down in the 20's, it was definitely laboring to crank over that diesel.

Decided to spend the coin and replace it with a Sears Platinum P-1 back on Sunday, $219.

Two days of driving with it, I can only say "gawdalmighty, what a battery!" It spins over that diesel, with 18 to 1 compression, easily as fast as any gas vehicle I've owned, that had half the compression of this diesel.

And I noticed that Odyssey makes a Group 49 size that would fit in my 87 300D as well...:gr_grin:

Members online

No members online now.