New battery? What to get?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Optima Red Top seems to be nearing its demise. Lately its been down in the single digits and the engine barely cranks over. Even if it goes back up into the 40's shes slower cranking than usual. The other night all of the dash lights lit up, so I figure the battery is messing with it. I was really wanting to wait till the optima died to see just how long it would last, but I figure it will die when I least want it to. Its currently 5 years old. Really not interested in buying another optima as Ive read they are not what they use to be. Im all about buying the best.

Whats the best battery. Ive notice tjkj says the DieHard Platnium is made by odyssey. According to sears website, the platinum P1(Group 34, 880 CCA) fits the 04 liberty and its $200 w/exchange.

Opinions?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Interstate
can find them most anywhere
cheaper and last way longer than Optimas any more
I have a MegaTron Plus
MTP-78DT
800CCA 1000 CA
After 2 Optimas in 8 months I gave up on them and went with the Interstate, no problems in over two years
Sears has some good batteries as well, as you mentioned

Oh I paid 90 bucks for mine.

Last edited:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that Diehard Platinum is supposed to be a good one. It should be for $200.

That said, I had a sluggish battery recently and got a battery at NAPA so I will see how that goes...(NAPA Legend Premium 84 - 960CA/800CCA-about $100 including tax)

I am sure the Interstate Batteries are good too like Tom said.

Dave

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Tom, does 78 group size fit into KJ's 34 size? any modifications of battery platform required?

Mine dropped right into place
BUT if I remember right the earlier models have a somewhat smaller battery tray...I think

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Bruce you are better off finding one that has 800 CCA.
37806[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• h3gm8xT.jpg
    h3gm8xT.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Dmut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine dropped right into place
BUT if I remember right the earlier models have a somewhat smaller battery tray...I think
yes, early `01-`02 KJs had battery group 86, which is definitely small, mine `03 is 34.
good thing that 78 fits fine into 34. Here in Europe we are a bit short on 34 group-size batteries to buy.

azmotoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interstate (in a pinch - they're local) -OR- Optima (got mine from NAPA). 1st Libby came with the Optima and I plan to keep the 2nd one that way. Way superior for the CRD. Even came stock in our VW/Beetle TDI/Diesel in '06. Some 'idget' swapped in an AutoZone before we bought the latest KJ. JUNK! When the electrics started to show signs of needing a new one, we switched it back to the Optima.

Pay the extra coin. It's worth it!

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Boy the Sears website *****. Just when I think I'm close to finding the Diehard Platinum automotive batteries the webpage resets; "Page not found"
However when I Googled "Diehard Platinum" I found this; http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02850034000P

I like the idea of "charging" my battery purchase to my Sears card since I'm short on cash at this time of year :icon_frown:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
All the Sear auto Center's are closed in Canada.
If you can get one in NB I would be very happy for you.
I called Sears Canada and asked if I could get that battery anywhere in the country, the answer was no.
Please let me know otherwise!

jeeper4life

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a yellow top in the YJ..I like it. Its been in there for awhile. The KJ just has some cheap napa battery that the dealer put in it before we bought it..

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All the Sear auto Center's are closed in Canada.
If you can get one in NB I would be very happy for you.
I called Sears Canada and asked if I could get that battery anywhere in the country, the answer was no.
Please let me know otherwise!
You still can get the P1 in Canada,just does not go by Sears,not gray either but the actually manufacturers colors of red/black and is called the PC1500.

http://www.odysseybattery.ca/

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for pointing out that the 34-78 PC-1500DT Odyssey AGM series is available in Canada Troy.
Sears price I thought was $200 for their grey Platinum AGM.
The best price I could do on a PC-1500 was $289 here CAN $.

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I have a Diehard Gold, first one crapped after 2 years, on the second one. Warranty claim was easy though.

waywardtravel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://lifelinebatteries.com/
Over the years I've installed 100's of these Lifeline AGM batteries. Now they are OEM in more than 60 boat manufacturers. They were mostly for the marine environment. Very harsh battery treatment running them completely dead, then charging with 200-300amp alternator's while consuming 80amps for services once you get the engines started, 120-160degree engine rooms etc,,, Before Lifeline I used Interstate's and Rolls these blow them away on CCA, CA, Cycles, and durability. I have three in my cars now and have never replaced one. I have three Bad redtop's in my storage that someday I might try to condition and revive but I doubt it.

Last edited:

waywardtravel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. Unlike lead acid or gel cell, AGM batteries will absorb whatever amperage you throw at them making it a fast recovery after winching or any loading.

2. Thousands of AGM batteries are thrown away or returned as cores because they went completely dead and the alternator didn't see enough internal resistance to charge them when the car was compression started or whatever. Many still had 100's or more cycles left.