New '07 Liberty with engine miss

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

libertygirl

Reaction score
I have a 2007 liberty with a 3.7L and less than 3K miles and it has developed a random engine miss. It has been to the dealer twice and it never throws a code. It usually occurs at around 40 MPH and it doesn't matter if you have your foot on the throttle or not. :confused: Does anyone have any advice or suggestions?

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keep a real close watch on it to see when it does it and if you can pin it down exactly. Bring it back to the dealer again and make them ride with you for a while until it does it again. It seems that you have already done this but if it will do it when you have a service tech in the vehicle they should be able to diagnose it.

Dave

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have the heat on in the floor, defrost/floor, or defrost modes? I notice a rather harsh miss when the A/C compressor clutch engages.

I only notice this when the A/C is on or when the heat is on in either of the modes I mentioned. For some reason jeep felt the need to make the A/C come on when you have the heat on in the floor mode.

ohh! Welcome to Jeepkj!

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has the dealer been "able to replicate the problem" you mentioned? Even though it doesn't throw a code, I would hope that they would want to try and help figure out what it is (providing they experience it for themselves). I guess that all depends on the dealer though. I've never noticed ours doing that, the ****** might "jerk" a little now and then but that's a whole different story. Sorry, can't offer any real advice....just keep taking it in and bug the hell out of em till they get tired of you and actually try to fix the problem.

TexasKJ07

Reaction score
Here is a thread you may want to read. I feel I am having the same problem. My dealer told me to give the clutch on the torque converter time to break in. It keeps doing it between 35-55 mph even felt it a little bit at 70 mph the other day. Just stay on top of it. Jason

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33821&highlight=******+trouble

My dealer also told me if it is not throwing trouble codes there is nothing wrong I wanted to call BS righ then and there....Jason

Last edited:

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^ dealers usually wont take the time to look further into a problem if it doesnt through a fault code or if its not obvious. I had an Air bag light coming on but it only came on when it was really cold out. They couldnt do anything for me unless that light was on which meant I had to drive the Jeep 30min to the dealer when it was 20F but I couldnt turn the heat on since the light would go out. That was one time I was thankful for my heated seats. :D

libertygirl

Reaction score
So far I have had it to the dealer twice both times I was told they could not find anything wrong with it other than the fact the trany was a little low on fluid. They were only able to replicate the problem once and went through 1/2 a tank of gas trying. I was sent home with a check list to fill out the next 3 times it does it and then bring it back in. I'm irratated as it is random and I'm scared to take the darn thing anywhere now. I did read the ****** post and it totally sounds like what mine is doing. Thank you TexasKJ07. I will mention it to my dealership. I have been doing more research on this then they have.

TexasKJ07

Reaction score
I have been reading too and I found the some of the Dodge nitro's built with the same ****** along side our Liberty's are having the same problem. There was a TSB put out for the Nitro's. Does anyone know if there is one put out for the Liberty? Jason

Katmandu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did read the ****** post and it totally sounds like what mine is doing. I will mention it to my dealership. I have been doing more research on this then they have.
Just curious.

What is the Build Date on your 07 Liberty ??

MarkB

Reaction score
Here is a thread you may want to read. I feel I am having the same problem. My dealer told me to give the clutch on the torque converter time to break in. It keeps doing it between 35-55 mph even felt it a little bit at 70 mph the other day. Just stay on top of it. Jason

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33821&highlight=******+trouble

My dealer also told me if it is not throwing trouble codes there is nothing wrong I wanted to call BS righ then and there....Jason

Sounds exactly like what mine was doing. I bugged the hell out of them and they finally screwed the 07 up so bad trying to repair it it was way worse. They gave me an 08 instead. I am a happy camper again. It only took 8 months to get it all done.