need remote start help !!! >>

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

andrew.jeep

Reaction score
"installed" MOPAR remote start in my wife's '05 liberty renegade today. it's not operating.

the directions were horrible - they mention wire colors on certain harnesses that do not exist - so i had to go by wire positions. am i missing something here? did anyone else notice this in the directions?

how do i know if i need a bypass box?

i'm a little confused and any info you folks can pass along will be a ton of help (wiring diagram, etc). the car still starts and locks, etc. but i could not get the remote start into any of the programming modes. i pressed and help the programming button for 10 secs, the engine light flashes, but i do not get an audible chirp from the horn/lights.

06LibertySSE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remote Start Help

Hey man!

I installed mine on my 06 and it works great! I would be willing to help you out in whatever way I could. Let me know what I can do... Its a relatively easy install so let me know what you are having trouble with.

Jonathan

andrew.jeep

Reaction score
thanks for the offer >>

email me: andrew"at"squarewave"dot"com - when you get a chance.

basically i need to know:
- if i need the mysterious "bypass" box.
- since the wire colors in the directions do not match up to the ones in the harness - was i correct in picking the correct pin#'s instead?

thanks.

andrew.jeep

Reaction score
update >>

i called the "dealer only" tech support number (which was the only # on the instructions).

- i have a faulty hood switch
- the car will not go into "learn" mode

so. i'm going to try another hood switch. as far as the car not going into "learn" mode, they said it was an issue with the car security system. the same function that would allow the car to program another key is not letting me program the "fake" key the remote start system needs. does anyone have any ideas?

andrew.jeep

Reaction score
if anyone was following >>

the instructions that were included in the kit were for an older model year (REV A.). it was impossible to tell because there were so many similarities, but the few things that were different were detrimental to the install.

everything is working now - i found the (REV B.) manual online. it had the correct wire colors, pin positions and programming directions.

things i learned for people with questions about remote start:
- there are 2 types of devices for handling cars with immobilizers (cars that have a key with a radio chip that sends a signal to the ignition that it is in fact the correct key). SKREEM is what came with the mopar oem remote start (which is made by audiovox). SKREEM essentially "learns" your remote key chip signal and emulates it. the other device is a "bypass box". which essentially is a container for keeping an extra (uncut) key that contains the chip. the container with the key stays in your car so when you trigger the remote start, it "sees" the correct signal from the key.

hope that helps people that have questions.

Whelan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just installed my gf's last night took almost 4 hours to do. Biggest PIA was I had to put the rubber gasket boot back over the plastic firewall fitting. I had to remove the battery and the relay panel in the corner to reach. Even then it took me a half hour of literally kneeling on top of the engine with my arms buried to reach it. The programming was a BEEEEEEOOOOCH too.

One thing to note, why is Jeep so dumb as to only have one main access point through firewall. I have seen so many cars with either blank rubber fittings for accessories or what have you, and they at least put them in spots you can reach. This thing was ridiculous.

andrew.jeep

Reaction score
that stinks.

mine was a pain too. i found the rubber firewall grommet, but the steel was intact with no hole. it was in such an awkward position - i couldn't get any cutting tool or drill in there. i decided to snake the wires the same place the other wires were going through ( a little lower in the footwell)

Latest posts

Members online