Need help with Winch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Without getting in to the whole "you should have gotten a WARN debate". Anyone familiar with winches? I got a Smittybilt X20 12,000lb winch with synthetic line. Got it all mounted up just to check it out and it does t appear to work.

It sounds like the motor spools up but the drum doesn't spin at all. I put the clutch on and it locks it up and when I take off the clutch it free spins so that works. I made sure the clutch was in but the drum just will not spin so I can't spool the line on it.

Below is a video to show what I means.

Did I just get a defective unit or is there something I'm missing?

http://s71.photobucket.com/user/HedsIc/media/IMG_4998_zps8f5a4a25.mp4.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know anything about winches but I do know small motors. Sounds like a stripped gear.

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a chance to get a WARN for a good price but chose armor instead at that time so I had to pass. I looked at a few but just so expensive. I chose the X20 series because it had so many good reviews on all the off-road forums so I figured I would be good to go. The "made in CHINA" sticker in the bottom of the winch was the first sign I had made a huge mistake.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Looks new to me... is there no warranty on that winch? Cant send it back?/ Refund it?
Definitely somethings not engaging.

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks new to me... is there no warranty on that winch? Cant send it back?/ Refund it?
Definitely somethings not engaging.

Yeah just got it yesterday. I'm dealing with 4wheelonline.com now to get it returned. They want to charge me for a new winch again then after they receive the defective one they said they would refund me the second charge in 4-6 weeks. I called Shittybilt and they said I have to go through the company not them to get a new unit.

I'm dealing with them now to get It returned without charging me again since I don't have another $650

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I hope it all "Works" out for you. That *****. Good luck, hope u get one back working ASAP.
Darn..how did that winch pass inspection anyways?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah just got it yesterday. I'm dealing with 4wheelonline.com now to get it returned. They want to charge me for a new winch again then after they receive the defective one they said they would refund me the second charge in 4-6 weeks. I called Shittybilt and they said I have to go through the company not them to get a new unit.

I'm dealing with them now to get It returned without charging me again since I don't have another $650

Could have bought a M8000 for the price of the junk one you bought.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
^^^ oooh...Ouch....:whip: :icon_lol:

Truth be told..It probably would have worked too ! :party52:

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Other than I didn't want 8,000lb and no synthetic. The equivalent of what I was getting for a Warn would have ran me over $1600. But I get what you are saying.

Really doesn't matter at this point either way which is why I didn't want to have the "shoulda gotten this warn winch" pointless discussion since it's to late for that already.

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Other than I didn't want 8,000lb and no synthetic. The equivalent of what I was getting for a Warn would have ran me over $1600.

A M8000 is more then enough for a IFS KJ,add $200 for good syn line and your $50 more then what you bought.Learn how to use a winch and use the proper accessories(IE snatch block) and a M8000 can pull 16,000lbs.Alos the M8000 is one of the most reliable winches on the market that has a proven track record.

I run the WARN 9500XP but my KJ is over 6000lbs and it pulls it with little effort.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At $600, you could buy a spare Smitty and still be $400 ahead. Yeah, I understand that Warn is a better unit, but is it worth over 2.5 times the others for an infrequent weekend warrior? Warn is made and assembled in the US, using a foreign (Bosch) motor. Most others are totally made in China. With considering a China made one, like the Smittybilt, you might as well then get one from Harbor Freight. They have a 12,000 lb winch for $399, $299 after using their 25% off coupon. And for all you know, those could be made at the same factory as the Smitty. Now I'm not at all advocating buying Chinese stuff over a better made American product, but a $1,600, or even a $1,000 winch certainly isn't within everybody's budget.

slipinkramer

Reaction score
It sounds to me like perhaps the woodruff key is sheared off or has come out of it's slot in the motor shaft. Anyway, the winch is new so no point in trying to fix it.

I don't know about Smittybuilt, but Warn is certainly not the only good quality winch out there. Ramsey and Superwinch come to mind.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At $600, you could buy a spare Smitty and still be $400 ahead. Yeah, I understand that Warn is a better unit, but is it worth over 2.5 times the others for an infrequent weekend warrior? Warn is made and assembled in the US, using a foreign (Bosch) motor. Most others are totally made in China. With considering a China made one, like the Smittybilt, you might as well then get one from Harbor Freight. They have a 12,000 lb winch for $399, $299 after using their 25% off coupon. And for all you know, those could be made at the same factory as the Smitty. Now I'm not at all advocating buying Chinese stuff over a better made American product, but a $1,600, or even a $1,000 winch certainly isn't within everybody's budget.
You can get a WARN for under $500 and not there value line either.Why do you think you need a 12,000lbs winch on a KJ is beyond me anyways.Just draws more amps for no added benefit,also weighs much more and is much bigger.

As far as the more expensive winch not worth it for the occasional use it actually is because in 99% of all cases it will work when you actually need it.Those cheap winches are known to fail when most needed.For that alone it makes it worth the extra cost.

Is MileMarker any good?
Hit or miss on there electric winches.There hydraulic winches are pretty good but that can be hit or miss also depending on your pump.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
WARN M8000 Winch
Price:$594.99
Qty:
Add To Cart - Click Here
Add To Wish List

right off of Warns site not sure where folks are saying they are 1000 bucks and I'm sure you can find them cheaper on sales etc
To me its a no brainer to buy one that you can get parts for 10-15-20 years and more down the road if need be

WHOOPS TROY BEAT ME TO IT

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn people, I just wanted to know if anyone was familiar with this specific issue I was having with the thing, not get in to debates over why I chose to get what I got. Considering it's after the fact, so it's utterly pointless to scold me for buying it since it's already purchased. I can't exactly go back in time to change anything now, all I can do is figure out what's up where I am and try to get crap working.

So be it, I didn't choose the product you would have. I'm not as good as you because I f*cked up and ordered an inferior product by stupidly taking a bunch of positive consumer reviews and believing them.

WARN is the better product I get it and now I know. But I am basically stuck with my crap purchase since I can't get a refund so now all I can do is try to get things so they work until I can buy a WARN later die the road.

Damn, really, all I wanted was to see if anyone could help me out with a specific issue not get scolded for getting suckered in to thinking I was buying a good product.

Again, I 100% agree with you all in getting the WARN. That is my mistake. I only got what I did because of all the good reviews for this specific product so I thought I was safe. As far as the 12,000lb, I was getting the 10 just to be safe but they was out of stock so I figured I'd just go one up over 1 down. Apparently I was wrong there as well.

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn people, I just wanted to know if anyone was familiar with this specific issue I was having with the thing, not get in to debates over why I chose to get what I got. Considering it's after the fact, so it's utterly pointless to scold me for buying it since it's already purchased. I can't exactly go back in time to change anything now, all I can do is figure out what's up where I am and try to get crap working.

So be it, I didn't choose the product you would have. I'm not as good as you because I f*cked up and ordered an inferior product by stupidly taking a bunch of positive consumer reviews and believing them.

WARN is the better product I get it and now I know. But I am basically stuck with my crap purchase since I can't get a refund so now all I can do is try to get things so they work until I can buy a WARN later die the road.

Damn, really, all I wanted was to see if anyone could help me out with a specific issue not get scolded for getting suckered in to thinking I was buying a good product.

Again, I 100% agree with you all in getting the WARN. That is my mistake. I only got what I did because of all the good reviews for this specific product so I thought I was safe. As far as the 12,000lb, I was getting the 10 just to be safe but they was out of stock so I figured I'd just go one up over 1 down. Apparently I was wrong there as well.

As far as what is wrong,who knows as most of those winches are DOA to begin with and I'd bet they just recycle them into new boxes after being returned.

Take any reviews with a grain of salt,to easily falsified and no way to verify.

Also if I remember correctly the same company that built your winch was caught sending them out awhile ago with 1.5 ton rated hooks.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hedsic, you trouble maker you! lol
I'm curious as to what the fail prone part is on the cheaper winches? Is it the motor, the structural integrity, or what? To the physical size differences, on the ones I was referencing to (not necessarily recommending), the 12,000 lb model is physically smaller than the 9,000 lb model, but it is 11 lbs heavier. Yeah I agree, 12,000 may be overkill for our size Jeep, but the higher hp rating means it's not working as hard, and they tend to have different gear reductions/line speeds between them as well.

Last edited:

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure once I get this ordeal sorted and I get a new one I won't even open it and throw it in craigslist unopened. Will take a hit but I didn't realize just how crappy these where until now. Out the money aside and get a WARN later.

Wish I would have gotten that Zeon when the deal was available that's for sure.

Members online