Need help with OME lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chell

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I just purchased an all stock 2005 KJ Sport with 38,000 miles, the first order of business is to get it up in the air and install new tires & wheels.

So after extensive research (mostly on this site/forum of course) I ordered the OME lift kit from Quadratec, and proceeded to have it installed at the local Big O shop. The shop called to tell me that the lift was installed, but the new 245/75R16 tires were rubbing the fender wells, so they recommended installing the same tire in a 70 series. When I went to pick up my Jeep, the first thing that the shop owner said to me is that he was surprised at the "rake" (nose down) of the Jeep.

Well, all of my research on the OME lift told me that the 245/75R16 tires would fit just fine (up to 31 inches), and that the Jeep would basically sit level. The kit came with 927 springs, and 90009 struts/shocks, for the front end. The mechanic told me that the OME struts were the same length as the stock ones, and that when he installed them he really had to compress the spring hard to get it to fit. And he believes that it is the shock that is keeping the front end down.

I forgot to take before measurements, but the after are: 21" front & 22" rear. Again, my research told me that the front should be 22.5".

I am hoping that Tom Mudd (or anyone else) can give me his thoughts as to what happened.
Try replacing the rear with OEM factory springs.

Doing10to20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check out https://www.rocky-road.com/kjsus.html They have great helpline and instructions on there lift kits. Yes longer rear shocks are a must.
Old man Emu rear shocks with the Rockfather 2 is a great kit. They also have other info on there site about the parts. I have installed the Rockfather 2 on my KK and the 245/75 R16 Cooper AT3 Load range E with Nitrogen 50psi and drives great. 19mpg New engine 3 weeks ago after original engine 228K dropped a valve seat.
Jasper engine from Oreilly auto parts was the only place that could get the 3.7 in the time I needed it.

You'll get what you need from these guys,great company...I use them for all my jeeps

mercdudecbr600

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh wow, do whatever you want
I have only installed about 60 OME lifts on KJs
They ALL gave 2.5 inches of lift and were completely level when done
They advertise 1.5 inches etc for insurance purposes
But since you do not believe us, nor that the rear shocks are too short
Good luck

Tom - do the OME springs require a longer shock assembly than stock? I assume that the springs are the same length as stock but are stiffer and that's where the lift comes from.

rmack

Reaction score
It seems there have been a number of KJ owners posting recently about a “clunking” noise in the front end, well mine is doing the same thing after have a full OME lift installed. The clunk happens when hitting a sharp speed bump or pothole. I took it back to the shop and the mechanic thinks that the front coil springs (927’s) are rubbing up against the frame, which is causing the clunking problem. Anybody experience this before?

Doing10to20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems there have been a number of KJ owners posting recently about a “clunking” noise in the front end, well mine is doing the same thing after have a full OME lift installed. The clunk happens when hitting a sharp speed bump or pothole. I took it back to the shop and the mechanic thinks that the front coil springs (927’s) are rubbing up against the frame, which is causing the clunking problem. Anybody

It seems there have been a number of KJ owners posting recently about a “clunking” noise in the front end, well mine is doing the same thing after have a full OME lift installed. The clunk happens when hitting a sharp speed bump or pothole. I took it back to the shop and the mechanic thinks that the front coil springs (927’s) are rubbing up against the frame, which is causing the clunking problem. Anybody experience this before?
So a while back I had some clunking, i though it was suspension related cuz it only happened when going over something ..ended up being my steering rack bushing,maybe look at it and see