Need help with choosing speakers/amp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VTNomad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've decided I want to upgrade my sound. I've ordered the Pioneer AVIC-N3 navigation system, which will serve as my head unit. I'd like to keep it under $400 (or $600 on Crutchfield, their prices suck). As far as sound goes, I'm not looking for anything extreme, just a crisp clean sound. I could care less about bass. The nav system has a brain box and a Sirius unit to hide, I'm thinking under the rear seat.

I'm not sure on what to do:

Component speakers in the front with crossovers, or just four 3-way (or 4-way) speakers in the doors and unhook the stock tweeters. I'm also not sure if I shoul get an amplifier or not. If I do I would like to hide it under a seat.

Any advice on a speaker setup and amp choice would be greatly appreciated.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pioneer Navigation!
You must be registered for see images
Great choice, not sure how much you spent on it though? I assume $1500 range?

I guess getting component setup would be enough if you want just a bit better sound. Two ways on front doors and replacement tweeters. I wouldn't suggest getting rid of the tweeters, because the Jeeps placement of front speakers made them to serve as woofer only, they are buried down way too much to have 3 ways on them. Treble might get muffled down there.

Good Luck.

Last edited:

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, you could get 2 pair of door speakers for around $200-$250 for something like Alpine or Infinity or Polk....all which are really good. In my opinion, that would be the best way to go, but if you wanna get a component set most of the ones I've seen you would really need an amp to make it sound right. Then you would be at around $250 for speakers plus an amp at maybe $150-$200 for a decent one totaling about $450. I guess it's all about the kind of sound you're looking for. In mine, I have an Alpine HU, Infinity 2 way door speakers, and an Infinity Basslink sub.....and it sounds really good. My door speakers and sub cost around $450, so that's another way to go.
Here's a video of my setup, and I know the bass sounds like crap but not in person.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdRuGF90KKs

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
06Liberty ^ wow, that's a very nice and clean set up. :) Right? All alpine, all works together nicely with HU.

Although I would think that rears would be overkill, since, even with the best speakers the placement of the grill is way too low. I would get just the fronts and save $150. I am just wondering how much better these setups sound.. I need to find someone around my area and just take a listen to their system on a KJ.

VTNomad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sound

Thanks for the quick replies guys. Actually, I got a factory refurb nav system. Only set me back $850, it hasn't got here yet, but we'll see how good of a refurb Pioneer does. I got the Sirius brain and back up camera for another $250. I'm gonna get Circuit City to install the nav system and I'll do the rest myself.

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
06Liberty ^ wow, that's a very nice and clean set up. :) Right? All alpine, all works together nicely with HU.

Although I would think that rears would be overkill, since, even with the best speakers the placement of the grill is way too low. I would get just the fronts and save $150. I am just wondering how much better these setups sound.. I need to find someone around my area and just take a listen to their system on a KJ.

My only reasoning for the rears is that it made a HUGE difference on mine. Those factory speakers are basically just a woofer, mine didn't even have that little "whizzer cone" so there was NO treble whatsoever. So you need some sort of 2 or 3 way back there to even tell you have speakers in the rear.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
My only reasoning for the rears is that it made a HUGE difference on mine. Those factory speakers are basically just a woofer, mine didn't even have that little "whizzer cone" so there was NO treble whatsoever. So you need some sort of 2 or 3 way back there to even tell you have speakers in the rear.

Maybe. I think the difference that sets it apart is the amp you run them through. I tried to simply replace the rears with kenwood two way, it sounded pretty bad, remember my topic ? Anyway if there is really that much difference, $150 is not too much to pay for that enjoyment. Like I said, I haven't seen any tricked out liberties with that kind of a sound setup to tell the difference.

billforde

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe. I think the difference that sets it apart is the amp you run them through. I tried to simply replace the rears with kenwood two way, it sounded pretty bad, remember my topic ? Anyway if there is really that much difference, $150 is not too much to pay for that enjoyment. Like I said, I haven't seen any tricked out liberties with that kind of a sound setup to tell the difference.
I thinks its both the amp and speakers you decide to use, cause i noticed a difference once i replaced my rear speakers. Maybe i will show up at the next get together so that you can hear my system.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool, it would be interesting to meet up. If you are in Seaford all the time, I can take some time and drive up there, I am in Mineola on the weekends.