NEED HELP...New Hidden Hitch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

willy88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a new hidden hitch shipped today. The holes line up perfectly, but the bolts I think are the wrong size. They say "TY 8.8" I shot the holes in the frame with WD-40 and I kept screwing the bolts into the frame and could only get half way. Repeated the process multiple times to break free the rust or what not, but still no success. So, are the bolts I go the right size for the 2007 KJ? I've seen ppl have 10.9 M12x1.75 for their bolts but IDK if it's the right size for the a 2007 Sport. Some input would be greatly appreciated...

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have corrosion in your bolt holes,M12x1.75X40mm and grade 10.9 are the correct bolts for the hitch(no 8.8 hardness bolts).Just get a tap that is a M12x1.75 and clean the bolt holes out and you'll be set with the correct grade of bolts(and size).

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can't find a tap get a plumbers brush and some penetrating oil, i used a plumbers brush and some PB Blaster and cleaned the bolt holes out good then ran a bolt in and out of all of them before putting the hitch up in place.

I just used the bolts that came with the hitch, no worries.

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
if you can't find a tap get a plumbers brush and some penetrating oil, i used a plumbers brush and some pb blaster and cleaned the bolt holes out good then ran a bolt in and out of all of them before putting the hitch up in place.

i just used the bolts that came with the hitch, no worries.

x2343424234

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
lol I bet if you charged ppl to look at this you could own the copyright to it..lol if its got a copyright! but when i get the time..im going to go to grade 10.9 TJKJ!

long_tall_texan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One more thing to check is that the bolts that you bought are truly M12x1.75. I just got a hitch last week off CL and it did not come with bolts. I went to the local Ace Hardware store that stocks hardened, grade 10.9 metric bolts. I bought 6 bolts and washers, out of the M12x1.75x40 bin. Went outside, laid on the ground and tried a bolt to make sure it fit. Nope. Only a half turn. So I went back in and matched the bolts up to a M12x1.75 tap. Turns out the bolts were actually M12x1.5. They were in the wrong bin. All of them. Had to have them bring me the right ones from the back, and had them fix their bins too.

candpliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm so glad we have a real hardware store near by. McFadden-Dale. No lawn chairs,bar b ques or 2x4's. 1" drive socket sets, more metric than Home Depot knows about SAE. 8.8, 10.9. Lengths as long as I have ever needed. Oh, and real counter help. Very, very cool!

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Considering we read every day about 8.8's failing and hitches falling off on the highway.... OH WAIT... WE DON'T....

Whatever... I won't bother replacing the 8.8's that come with the hitch. I can't find one mention online of regular failures of these bolts that ALL the major hitch manufacturers supply with their hitches.

If you do manage to break the 8.8's that come with the hitch then you very likely overloaded and exceeded the hitch rating anyway, which means a potential for bending the hitch, the frame rails, you name it. Why go with the 10.9's? The only reason i can think of is piece of mind and i have that with my 8.8's, but really, you shouldn't have to.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Considering we read every day about 8.8's failing and hitches falling off on the highway.... OH WAIT... WE DON'T....

Whatever... I won't bother replacing the 8.8's that come with the hitch. I can't find one mention online of regular failures of these bolts that ALL the major hitch manufacturers supply with their hitches.

If you do manage to break the 8.8's that come with the hitch then you very likely overloaded and exceeded the hitch rating anyway, which means a potential for bending the hitch, the frame rails, you name it. Why go with the 10.9's? The only reason i can think of is piece of mind and i have that with my 8.8's, but really, you shouldn't have to.
OEM uses 10.9's,and for a reason.The OEM hitches are made by Hidden Hitch also.

Reason why aftermarket comes with 8.8's is a cost factor and that is all,there is a big cost difference between 8.8's and 10.9's.They know they are the very bare minimum they can get away with for a cheaper cost then 10.9's. About 90% of the aftermarket world is like that also,only supplies the bare minimum on hardware due to cost.I always throw away those low grade bolts and go straight to the better bolts.Heck my ARB bumper came with 8.8's,threw them out and bought 10.9's for safety issues since I do use my winch.

Now the only thing you must use the lower grade bolts(8.8's or grade 5) is for mounting winches(WARN mostly) as those low grade bolts are needed as a safety feature.

Midgear

Reaction score
I put 10.9's on my sway bar links.. my old bolts were so corroded that they had to take a grinder and chop em off. 8 washers and 4 10.9 bolts later.. that's what finally stopped my clunking.

willy88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey guys, i got my hitch on

thanks tjkj, did exactly what u recommended, worked like a charm! except for the bolt right above the tail pipe. that's a S.O.B!

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey guys, i got my hitch on

thanks tjkj, did exactly what u recommended, worked like a charm! except for the bolt right above the tail pipe. that's a S.O.B!
Yeah that one bolt is a pain.I have found when you still have the OEM exhaust(glad I don't so no issue for me anymore) is to have a friend grab that pipe(cooled off of course) and pull towards the outside of the vehicle,it will move enough to make getting that one bolt in a breeze and a straight shot so no chance of cross threading.

TAHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now the only thing you must use the lower grade bolts(8.8's or grade 5) is for mounting winches(WARN mostly) as those low grade bolts are needed as a safety feature.

Explain that one to me.... how is lesser strength bolts a safety feature?????
I can only think of being a break away so you don't damage frame???
I jammed a 2x4 up in there to push the exhaust out of the way when I installed my Chevy hitch on our Libby.

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Explain that one to me.... how is lesser strength bolts a safety feature?????
I can only think of being a break away so you don't damage frame???
Yep,they rather have the winch come off the mount then damage your vehicle,it will not be a sudden release either as the bolts will stretch enough for you to see before breaking.